My first fishing boat - Yay or Nay? Thoughts at discussion appreciated.

Req

Jun 5, 2020
Southern California
Name
Adam Edward Hector
Boat
None Yet
So ya, my wife and I settled on a 2021 Bayliner Trophy 20CC with a 150 hp Merc, fish finder, VHF and all that. She wants to do more of the lake thing as I'm much more inclined to get out to Catalina and Coronado area for fishing. The used market is insane right now and this boat seems to fit both of our needs. What are your thoughts? Thanks a ton for any feedback!

Fishbones

Your wife thinks about ME
Nov 7, 2005
Chula Vista
Name
Rich
Boat
One Off 28' Custom Built Skipjack (SOUTHWESTERN) & 18' Sylvan (Short Runs)
Just kidding, the Trophy’s have come a long ways since back in the day. Good looking rig

20600294-F8C3-40E4-AA46-345B4FFA8FF7.jpeg

HookEmDanO

Huhuhuge member
Jan 31, 2004
San Diego
Name
Dan
Boat
1997 Trophy 2352
Bayliner’s parent company is the Number 1 boat manufacturer in the world.

Brunswick’s
160-year history in the recreation industry, financial stability and cutting-edge production methods ensure that Bayliner is the wisest investment on the water for your family. Headquartered in Lake Forest, Ill., Brunswick Corporation is the parent company of many leading consumer brands, including Mercury and Mariner outboard engines; Mercury MerCruiser sterndrives and inboard engines; MotorGuide trolling motors; Attwood and Whale marine parts and accessories; Land ‘N’ Sea, BLA, Kellogg Marine, Diversified Marine and Bell RPG parts and accessories distributors; Bayliner, Boston Whaler, Brunswick Commercial and Government Products, Crestliner, Cypress Cay, Harris, Lowe, Lund, Meridian, Princecraft, Quicksilver, Rayglass, Sea Ray and Uttern boats, and Life Fitness and Hammer Strength fitness equipment, and Brunswick billiards tables and table tennis

• Wow
Reactions: Req

makairaa

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
I like the look of them for an entry level combination use boat. With the way the bow is shaped I would suggest a sea trial in the afternoon to see how she handles some chop. They just brought the line back with redesigned boats so it may be hard to find anyone with actual experience on one.

watersdeep

Jan 19, 2016
LB
Name
Jed Venture
Boat
the twisted ducker
Looks like you could catch fish, rays and a buzz in that, your good. pix of the wife catching one or the other please.

OILAGER

Hecho en Estados Unidos
Apr 27, 2006
M Class Planet / Riverside
Name
Wayne
Boat
Grady White 228 Seafarer "GOTTA GET'M"
You're completely on target on used boat prices. Boats that wouldn't get a second look at $10k are bringing $15k now. Deck boats and the sort for lakes are sold out at many places, mostly due to the lack of production the last 4 months. The market has gone supernova on a lot of products, I would hate to be that person without a chair when the music stops.

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
May 31, 2003
not a spoiled bitch from san diego
Name
bill
Boat
I hate boats
The used market is insane right now
Thats strange. The BD financial experts who drool at the thought of stealing boats from their fellow boat owners told us that because of teh china virus, the market was going to tank.
oh well

Thats a beautiful boat. Watch out for trailing seas and coming to a stop as the water will come in over that transom. Those used to be called center console/"walk-around"

Req

Jun 5, 2020
Southern California
Name
Adam Edward Hector
Boat
None Yet
Bayliner, terrible boat
Oh damn, we're doomed or what?
Thats strange. The BD financial experts who drool at the thought of stealing boats from their fellow boat owners told us that because of teh china virus, the market was going to tank.
oh well

Thats a beautiful boat. Watch out for trailing seas and coming to a stop as the water will come in over that transom. Those used to be called center console/"walk-around"
Real talk, anyone with a stable family spent their corona bucks on a down payment for a new toy. It's not just boats, all manufacturing for recreational vehicles are looking this way right now.

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
Oct 19, 2012
California
Name
Shewillbemine
Boat
Chips N Guac
What are your plans for it regarding equipment?

I highly suggest a proper fiberglass bait tank installed underneath the leaning post since you mentioned Catalina and Coronados. The challenge will be getting someone to make it and install it (unless you're handy like that). Call Pacific Edge, BlueWater Bait Systems, Tom at TowerFab and Craig at West Coast Bait tanks.

pacificscout

Hey! You got any frozen ice?
Jul 28, 2012
Fullerton
Name
Wally
Boat
16ft Scout EMBUSTERO
Like earlier beautiful, except, after I watched video, I do not like the boat cleats on the side like that.
Seems an easy way to push thru when things get bumpy against something.
Maybe just me but looked weird.

Req

Jun 5, 2020
Southern California
Name
Adam Edward Hector
Boat
None Yet
What are your plans for it regarding equipment?

I highly suggest a proper fiberglass bait tank installed underneath the leaning post since you mentioned Catalina and Coronados. The challenge will be getting someone to make it and install it (unless you're handy like that). Call Pacific Edge, BlueWater Bait Systems, Tom at TowerFab and Craig at West Coast Bait tanks.
It has two live wells.

Reactions: Shewillbemine

Tesoro

Sep 5, 2015
Brookings, Southern Oregon
Name
Chris Berlin
Boat
21 Arima Ranger
ENJOY IT!

• Love

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
I rock a 40 year old boat I bought for some peoples weekly fuel bill and fitted out. It floats and gets me home every time.

Would love a new boat.....even a Trophy.

Fish the F out of it. Screw the rest.

Reactions: flytie and repo805

Req

Jun 5, 2020
Southern California
Name
Adam Edward Hector
Boat
None Yet
Like earlier beautiful, except, after I watched video, I do not like the boat cleats on the side like that.
Seems an easy way to push thru when things get bumpy against something.
Maybe just me but looked weird.
Hmm...I never noticed that before. I wonder what engineering reason they had for this? Easier to on basic lake docks?

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
Oct 19, 2012
California
Name
Shewillbemine
Boat
Chips N Guac
It has two live wells.
Size?

My boat also came with two livewells. Still crap for our bait needs in SoCal. Give it a shot. You might be lucky with their design and also depends on your fishing needs. I chum it up and the bait need to stay alive.

My stock livewells now hold beer, ice and dead fish.

If after a few fishing trips you find yourself facing a bunch of dead, floating bait, there's your answer. If they survive the pounding trips to the fishing grounds and you're satisfied, there's your answer as well.

jbl_91762

Sep 23, 2017
CHINO
Name
JOEY
Boat
KAYAK
Nice boat for sure and will do the job. Hope they stepped up their game over the last couple decades cause they were the bottom of the barrel in terms of quality. IMO you Must go for a sea trial in open water with some chop as you will be able to see how she truly handles, flexes etc. Dont settle for a putt around the marina or bay where it is flat. Also, keep in mind the resale price if you decide to upgrade or sell it in the future as you would take a bigger hit then the high end vessels. Google Bayliner forums and get on there also to see what owners are saying. Good Luck!