My first ever 1.5 day Oct. 3 out of SD ( Ocean Odyssey )

willbuyone

Terry Cobb
Aug 4, 2016
Lompoc Ca
Name
Terry Cobb
Boat
Robalo R180 ( Sole Seeker )
Going on 1.5 day with my two brothers mostly to bond and make some memories . Never fished out of SD never fished were there were any Tuna around . Not looking to catch big Tuna and may not have a chance to do this again . Older guy here not as strong as I used to be .

So my question is do you think I will be ok fishing with what I already have ?

Komodo 463P on a PCH 761H 7’6” 20-50lb

Makaira 8ii SEA on a PCH 701H 7’ 20-50lb

Makaira 10ii SEA on a PCH 701XH 7’ 30-60lb

Tranx 400 on a Phenix BD PSW ML 7’6” 10-30lb

Thanks BDers for any help/advice

SouthBayKiller

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
90% you will be fine, the only thing the could happen is if that big bluefin goes on the bite in a big way. It can and has happened. I saw them yesterday, they are are there and if and when the ones I saw yesterday bite anything less than a legit 80-100lb setup or you are screwed.

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
You might get more participation on the SoCal Offshore forum.

surfgoose

active geezer
Jul 29, 2010
Long Beach, CA, USA
Name
Gary
Boat
whichever has the longest bunk
Welcome to the addiction, Terry! You've got to start somewhere, and the Ocean Odyssey is a fine place to get your basic experience. Steve is right, the 1.5-trips are usually discussed in the SoCal Offshore forum, but don't worry about it. You are good to go! For the three of you, I suggest that you contact the landing and rent one or two heavy rigs, for the just-in-case situation of biggies wanting to play. You can share, and take turns fighting the fish, which is the smart way to do it.

I'll look forward to your posting a report!

willbuyone

Terry Cobb
Aug 4, 2016
Lompoc Ca
Name
Terry Cobb
Boat
Robalo R180 ( Sole Seeker )
Thank you guys for the advice and the encouragement . I could probably afford to buy a PCH railrod and a Fathom 40 NLD2, but don’t know if that would be enough for the bigger ones ? Renting is probably the better choice .

Reactions: RichG and locvetter

bdubs73

Well-Known "Member"
Feb 7, 2008
San Diego
Name
Brian
Boat
none
I would see what size fish are active when your trips nears, asking the landing can be helpful. If larger fish are around they can rent you a heavier set up. I love your choice of timing, less people and still great chances for fish:) You guys will have a blast I am sure!

locvetter

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 24, 2015
Name
Loc Vetter
Boat
Loc Vetter Casting
You might get more participation on the SoCal Offshore forum.
I have been following the long range forum for so long I did not even know a SoCal Offshore forum existed. Can't seem to find it. Where is it - please.

Thanks!

Reactions: surfgoose

the_tunaman

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 28, 2017
Norco
Name
Roger Nelson
Boat
Ranger Z20
Likely most of your action will be on smaller schoolie yellowfin and kelp paddy yellowtail and dorado, I would expect. Your quiver above should be fine.

As stated, you could rent a heavy rig, but many of the boats also have boat rods available should you get into a circumstance where the situation dictates heavy gear for the big boys. Most of the big fish are either coming in the dark/gray on flatfalls, or during the day when the boat is flying the kite dragging a yummy flier. If the latter, they will be using boat gear anyway.

Just go and enjoy the time on the water with your brothers!

Reactions: willbuyone