Offshore My first Cow Tuna Locally and a royal ass kicking.

shyliner626

TOADSTOADSONLY
Dec 6, 2005
Newport Beach
www.facebook.com
Name
Jonathan
Boat
Trophy Pro 2302WA , Hobie Pro Angler 12
Now how big is your boat again? Can you actually sleep at night or is it white knuckle with 14 inches of freeboard?
I have a 22 trophy pro with a cabin, I generally do not sleep much when I fish but did get a little shut eye while waiting 4 hours for sea tow. My co workers always wonder why I am so tired at work on Mon and Tuesday. Sleep could wait i'll sleep on my death bed there's cows in our back yard.

Upvote 0

blubby07

Aug 24, 2009
Oceanside Ca
Name
Josh
Boat
21 Parker cc , and 2556 cierra yes its a bayliner (The Dude Man)
I don't even know what to say?
I've done well over 1000 miles with one 65 lb fish to show for it!
I'm gonna keep going, thanks for the motivation!!!!!!
And congrats my heart started beating fast, you should write books bro

Reactions: shyliner626
Upvote 0

ens

Almost A Member
Apr 30, 2010
OC
Name
ens
Boat
loan me yours
Great write up. I was Vics boat ho that day. When he told me you were getting ready to go out to the #s, I couldn't believe it. Then he showed me the pic you txted him the nxt day. You are one hardcore mofo.....

Upvote 0

Headshot

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 21, 2004
Lake Forest, CA.
Name
Tim
Boat
05' 2601 SeaSwirl Striper
Wow, now that was one crazy battle!
Showing this report to my wife, she could not understand why I told her that there is a possibility that I will not be home until midnight to 2am and I told her that there were monster bluefin tuna out there that we could battle for up to 8 to 12 hours, now she knows exactly what Im talking about!
Thanks for your report, Cheers to one bad ass fish!

Upvote 0

Shark Meat

Diehard/Determined CAPT
Apr 5, 2006
San Diego, CA
Name
Mike
Boat
Glacier Bay 2670 Isle Runner - Shark Meat II
Man, you gotta like that. Great story... congrats

Upvote 0

Carrasco

Ceviche Connoisseur
Mar 28, 2008
Downey CA, USA
Name
Mario
Boat
It floats!
I agree with every post prior to this one. In Spanish we call guys like you "Pescador de hueso colorado." Which means, so ardent about your craft that your bones run red! Your tenacity and self trust paid off! Not many folks would turn down smaller bluefin for the unlikelyhood of finding record class tuna- I would have loved to see your post end with, "She weighed in at 250#."
Thanks for the write up. One of the most enjoyable reads on BD and one that excites us to get out there NOW!

Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
Sep 20, 2005
My Backyard
Name
Boat
toy
WOW... I literally tried every technique some were not quite techniques I tried using the rail technique, pushing down on the rod with my chest technique, the nutcracker technique with the rod between my legs, the pray to god technique, there was a point when I was even using the talk to the fish and ask it to die technique all of which worked to an extent lol.

LOL LOL I've tried a few of these techniques.

Excellent post, felt like I was there and congrats on the fish of a lifetime.

Upvote 0

shyliner626

TOADSTOADSONLY
Dec 6, 2005
Newport Beach
www.facebook.com
Name
Jonathan
Boat
Me and billy were talking about you, you are one crazy fisherman... Good job and amen on the trini 16.....
I am not worthy
Thank mans, I have always gone the extra mile to catch these fish. Unfortunately I have not been able to get on some of those wide open hookups. My last 4 fish I only had 1 chance all day and have capitalized on all 4 fish. One of these day I am going to get into a ripper bite like some of the guys out on the board until then I am going to have to land 1 at a time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

shyliner626

TOADSTOADSONLY
Dec 6, 2005
Newport Beach
www.facebook.com
Name
Jonathan
Boat
Epic story and result. I think the most amazing thing is you used a single-speed reel. Wow.

I am glad you enjoyed it, I have two speed reels but I cannot cast them as well as my single speed. I feel that the perfect cast on these fish is more important than a 2 speed. This past 2 seasons I have learned to land these brutes on single speed reels. You just have to take a 1/4 crank or 1/2 crank at a time and when the fish are doing death circles instead of letting it take line on the inner part of the circle you just dip your rod and lift right back up.

Upvote 0

shyliner626

TOADSTOADSONLY
Dec 6, 2005
Newport Beach
www.facebook.com
Name
Jonathan
Boat
Wow, now that was one crazy battle!
Showing this report to my wife, she could not understand why I told her that there is a possibility that I will not be home until midnight to 2am and I told her that there were monster bluefin tuna out there that we could battle for up to 8 to 12 hours, now she knows exactly what Im talking about!
Thanks for your report, Cheers to one bad ass fish!
It's insane how powerful these BFT are we are in their environment and from all of the reports only a lucky few have been able to win the battle. You literally have to almost do every thing right and have a bunch of luck your your side to land one on a casting rod. If they bit the bait better and you get them on the right gear, even then it would still be a battle of a lifetime. Thank You for reading my report, good luck out there.

Upvote 0

shyliner626

TOADSTOADSONLY
Dec 6, 2005
Newport Beach
www.facebook.com
Name
Jonathan
Boat
LOL LOL I've tried a few of these techniques.

Excellent post, felt like I was there and congrats on the fish of a lifetime.
The nutcracker technique was the most uncomfortable of them all. I learned this technique on Youtube while the guys in FL were fighting Goliath grouper. ha ha

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mick

fishdivesurf
Jul 2, 2004
San Diego
Name
Kingfisher
Boat
21 Cuddy, No Ka Oi
Epic battle, In the end that fish was a gift!

Upvote 0