widgeon

Ex-Hunter and gatherer
Jan 12, 2010
Kurt's neighborhood
Name
Tony
Boat
Tarpon 140
I have wanted to roll my own for a few years now and finally got it together.
I have to send out a huge thanks to Jon ( Scold) for sharing his knowledge and answering a ton of questions. I also have to thank Salty Dog and the guys at Squidco for their help and guidance.

I learned a lot and although it's far from the level and quality of work that is generally posted on this forum, I'm happy with the results.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
Nov 29, 2004
San Diego
Name
Carl
Boat
everyone elses
:appl:

Reactions: widgeon

Scold

Yes, that's my back.
Dec 1, 2009
San Jose, CA
Name
Jon
Boat
N/A :(
Tony, that is a helluva good job man. Beautiful work and you should be really proud of it

widgeon

Ex-Hunter and gatherer
Jan 12, 2010
Kurt's neighborhood
Name
Tony
Boat
Tarpon 140
Thanks guys!
I'm getting ready to start # 2 in the next few days and making plans for #3.
:D

skipjackrobert

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 2, 2013
The OC
Name
Rob
Boat
The Constitution or Tomahawk with Stan
Im jealous! Nice work!

Scold

Yes, that's my back.
Dec 1, 2009
San Jose, CA
Name
Jon
Boat
N/A :(
Tony, the coolest thing I think you will experience is when you catch a fish on it. Landing a fish on a rod you built is god damned gratifying.

widgeon

Ex-Hunter and gatherer
Jan 12, 2010
Kurt's neighborhood
Name
Tony
Boat
Tarpon 140
Tony, the coolest thing I think you will experience is when you catch a fish on it. Landing a fish on a rod you built is god damned gratifying.
I can't wait.
A big part of the reason I finally got it together and started this build is between work and caring for my son, I havent been able to fish much. The little bit of " free time" I get is generally between getting him to bed and getting myself to bed.
Doing this sort of thing helps to make me feel involved in the sport. Also it is definitely taking the experience to the next level.
I used to hunt a lot more also. I'm sure catching fish on a rod I built will be akin to taking game with a rifle and scope I dialed in and using ammo I loaded by hand.
It adds a lot to the experience.
This rod and the next two I have in the works will ultimately be for use on my kayak, but a friend and I are tenitively planning a 1.5 day for this spring and the rods may will likely break cherry then.
:D

Baller

Jig Chucker
Nov 16, 2010
La Mesa
Name
Bill
Boat
American Angler
Clean n classy!

widgeon

Ex-Hunter and gatherer
Jan 12, 2010
Kurt's neighborhood
Name
Tony
Boat
Tarpon 140
Looks great! Congrats!! What parts did you use on everything??
That is the Rainshadow RCKJB 700-250 ( 30-50) . I prefer more moderate action rods for kayak fishing. It will be used on boats as well, but I designed it as multi purpose rod for YT or WSB from the yak.
I used a black Aftco gimbal, currently covered by a rubber butt. Standard hypalon grips and Fuji reel seat.
9 Alps XN guides +tip top.
I wanted to keep it clean and simple. Black and metallic copper thread.

Jul 15, 2014
Name
Shannon Hughes
Boat
Tarpon 120
I know this is older post but how did the rod work out with your kayak? I have been looking at possibly building out the 606-150 as a kayak rod for catfish or fishing around saltwater bridges for drum using dead bait.