My Fever....

Discussion in 'Hawaii Fishing Reports' started by MidwayJ, Jun 21, 2010.

1. MidwayJ

MidwayJ Newbie

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    P-14 "Debbie Ann"
    .... rages on, unabated.

Fished Ahi Fever this weekend, and watched in dismay Thursday/Friday as the BD Hawaii board lit up with Eastside Tunas.

On Saturday, we pushed up around Kaena, and found ourselves at the X earlier than expected. Picked up an ono and a mahi in the blind on the way there, decided to slide east to LL and try to get lucky. Rough run to the L, got there and poked around for a while, picking up another ono. Slid back down outside the 1000, tagged the X again, pulled lines around J and made it back to Waianae at 545. Big fish was 221 (?) when we were there, didn't hang out for long in the harbor after we found out our ono wasn't placing.

Sunday, headed to CO, pushed out to the 2000. Things were looking pretty good, choke scattered birds, ahi coming in over the radio. Crossing over the 1500, the boat next to us circles back, and our short rigger comes down on the black/silver super ninja. Line coming off the reel pretty quick, I get all excited, then the fish settles down and swims straight at the boat- nice ono. I grab leader and as I'm about to take wraps, I feel the fish shake its head and the hooks pop. At least we got our ninja back.

That was our only strike for the day, found lots of small aku piles and one pile outside that looked really good, but no love. On the way in, found a huge pile of birds outside the Maili pinnacle, choke boats working, Boom Boom hooked up but didn't see anyone else stopped.

Had a fun weekend searching for those sickle finned beauties on the open ocean. Got to fish with my brother (Guava Patch) and a bunch of friends on a really nice boat. Drank beers, rigged sexy (and moderately effective?) lures, hustled the spread. Gave it a good go and had a great time. A bird shit on my head while I was cleaning the ono, so maybe our next sickle is around the corner. Hope springs eternal.

Mahalo to the Capt. and crew for a great weekend, and congrats to everyone who caught.

Aloha,

J

2. Lokelani Kai

Lokelani Kai Newbie

Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    24 Yellowfin Allysa K
    Aloha,Main thing everyone had a great time and it was a safe trip. AL

3. navyaircrew

navyaircrew Newbie

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    2001 Pro-Line 20 Walk
    :notworthy Dude... that's some miles bro... From Waianae to LL!!!

4. jagerhunchback

jagerhunchback MCLMM

sometimes oahu.....mostly iraq occasionally afghan
    Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    25 ft powercat "Crazy Haole"

heard on friday that was one of the major game plans for alot of boats. nice report jay, hopefully you can get some respite from that fever soon!!!

5. aj1976

aj1976 Newbie

Name:
    aj
    Boat:
    23 Seacraft
    Sounds like lots of fun nevertheless. Thats why we do it. Thanks for the report and good going on your fish.

6. dausualinc

dausualinc Newbie

Name:
    Kekoa
    Boat:
    30' Knife
    Good report J, go get um next time