My Break-It Machine

locvetter

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 24, 2015
Name
Loc Vetter
Boat
Loc Vetter Casting
There have been some questions on how and why I break things. The "why" piece might expose some pathology, so I will not go there, but here is a 1:16 video of a simple low cost (I think about $150, the way it is now configured), set up for pulling on terminal tackle in order to watch what happens and to measure at what load it fails.
The scale is a PCE-HC 150N. Mine looks just like the ones that cost a couple of hundred, but I purchased the one that is not trade s=certified, for about 75, a couple of years ago. This has a key element -- a dependable "Peak" feature, so after things break, I can tell at what load. This is sort of like the little slider on some spring scales, but this one goes to about 350 lbs.

It is NOT scientific. It does help to inform some of my choices.

Last edited:

spongehead

"ONE FISH AT A TIME"
Sep 12, 2010
garden grove, ca
Name
David
Boat
Maria
Beats yanking like hell with a hand scale or using two trucks... Thanks for feeding the mad scientist in us.

Reactions: locvetter

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
Maybe not of interest for a few, but my guess is most really like to know. I really do... That paper clip snap in the video, was that a 175# mfg. rated?

locvetter

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 24, 2015
Name
Loc Vetter
Boat
Loc Vetter Casting
Maybe not of interest for a few, but my guess is most really like to know. I really do... That paper clip snap in the video, was that a 175# mfg. rated?
Yes. Consistent figures for bot the black and the bright. Disappointing for lines over 50lb, I’m thinking

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
I trolled with the 200# paper clip version from Cabela's last week and used the brass grommet on heavy fluoro. So far just a big yellowtail but lots of short bites. I do not worry too much about being a tester in the field. Really like how it works.

locvetter

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 24, 2015
Name
Loc Vetter
Boat
Loc Vetter Casting
I trolled with the 200# paper clip version from Cabela's last week and used the brass grommet on heavy fluoro. So far just a big yellowtail but lots of short bites. I do not worry too much about being a tester in the field. Really like how it works.
It does go on and off things really nicely. I got some of the brass grommets, after you said where to get them and waiting for your order to entice them to restock -- thanks for that. They are very nice. I'd like to find a way to make them black.

There are times I'd be thrilled by "just a big yellowtail." Congrats on that!

locvetter

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 24, 2015
Name
Loc Vetter
Boat
Loc Vetter Casting
I just went to the Cabela's site and found only the SeaStrike version with the large rated at 70lb. Odd.

Last edited:

locvetter

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 24, 2015
Name
Loc Vetter
Boat
Loc Vetter Casting
Oops... try Bass Pro.
Done. Only silver, but my NI40 will fix that. Also ordered some stuff called Brass Black, recommended by dh515.

Right now my favorite is the McMahon snap, from Leadertec, in England. I have heard of detachments. Have you any experience with these.

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
Done. Only silver, but my NI40 will fix that. Also ordered some stuff called Brass Black, recommended by dh515.

Right now my favorite is the McMahon snap, from Leadertec, in England. I have heard of detachments. Have you any experience with these.
http://www.leadertec.com/store/product.php?xProd=440

Have not used the larger version shown here (size 9) but the smaller version with a black trolling boot with wire leader has been a standard for a very long time.

https://www.thelongfin.com/wire-trolling-harness.html

locvetter

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 24, 2015
Name
Loc Vetter
Boat
Loc Vetter Casting
I have a similar testing rig that was originally designed for testing lines and wind-on leaders, and maxes out at around 100 pounds. The plans to construct it came courtesy of a tuna fisherman in Utah. It has an analog scale that is not damaged by the shock of things breaking. How does your scale hold up to repeated shock loads?

That is a very nice setup you created, and for those so inclined the learning gained from playing around with a tool like this are invaluable. With 5 minutes of work you will learn that things like glue only wind-on leaders and RP knots are poor connections compared to other techniques.
I, too, enjoy testing connections. One challenge is that since I do not have a good way to hold plane line, without connections, I can't really test long hollow spectra splices. Other than that, it has worked well. Originally it was 6' long, but I could not reach the ratchet and see the scale.

I have been through, and I am ashamed of it, 5 different scales. This one goes high enough (Higher and I would be trembling with fear), but most importantly, other versions, with the shock of failure, lost their peak reading or turned themselves off. The Peak hold function is key.

https://www.pce-instruments.com/us/index.htm?id=google-us&_artnr=2133468&_p=74&_pmode=0&_pbexkey=73&_date=20180924014558&_pbhash=fc61955e1a3f4d9d2797237cb74322eba01c17cd3f19a96f79de32e255e15143&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjdPhwvnT3QIVCdVkCh2zgggBEAYYASABEgLhRfD_BwE

Instructions were in Dutch, but I did find them translated online.