My 72 skipjack restoration almost done..

GregorXr

Oct 5, 2012
Temecula
Name
Robin Boyer
Boat
Patients Boat!
I suppose that works well paint it white it will go with my boat. How much and when could i have one made? Got the tank i am hiring help towards the end of the month to help with the boat.

Reactions: bent rodz

bent rodz

Almost A Member
  • Aug 30, 2014
    San Diego
    Name
    Tony
    Boat
    Skipjack 24 Open
    I suppose that works well paint it white it will go with my boat. How much and when could i have one made? Got the tank i am hiring help towards the end of the month to help with the boat.
    If you have a better idea let me know... it could be made anytime really. Could be made for like $150. Let me know when you get around to tackling this project. We could come up with a cleaner design then this. But this gives you a basic starting point to think about.

GregorXr

Oct 5, 2012
    Temecula
    Name
    Robin Boyer
    Boat
    Patients Boat!
    Is it cheaper to build something out of wood i have spar utherene and kiwi grip om the way and i am picking up a marine sheet of plywood.

bent rodz

Almost A Member
  • Aug 30, 2014
    San Diego
    Name
    Tony
    Boat
    Skipjack 24 Open
    All I have left is the head liner on the tower, under the crows nest. Going to use seadek It's lightweight, waterproof, and I can get it in grey so it will play well with the rest of the colors on the boat. Thanks guys for all your input!

Last edited:

brian fulton

Can’t help it
    Aug 13, 2008
    lake forest.ca
    Name
    brianfulton
    Boat
    Happy Hour.
    Thanks man. Haven't thought this through and a good plan helped a lot
    You are the refit guru for sure awesome work well thought out .i just purchased a 1972 24 ft fly bridge with twin AG 170 Volvo Straight 6 or inline 6s I am sorta lost at where to begin with her.she's an awesome layout very stable platform.I am a smart guy but I don't have close to the skills you have.I just wanted to share what I have and now that I've seen what can be done with a Skipjack or any boat that age could turn out to look and be like in every top notch rebuild situation I am jazzed for sure.thank you for sharing your perfection with myself and everybody that truly sees how ones dreams are possible when you put your mind into it and don't rush something that is your master piece.Thanks and have a safe season.

beedub

Jul 9, 2012
    NorCal, USA
    Name
    Brad
    Boat
    1984 Skipjack 24 Project Underway
    Not sure if you'll get a notification of my post since you did this a few years ago, but awesome job man! I love how you did the backlit console. Hope you're still enjoying your Skippy. I've had a 24 Open myself for about six months now. I've been slowly plucking away at de-rigging it and have recently decided to make a complete rebirth the focus of my weekends. I'm from SoCal but live up between the bay and Tahoe now. I need full enclosure and the priciest part will be that I'm converting to brand new outboard power. And I'm not rich! I'm going DIY for everything except hanging the motor, only so I can maintain a warranty. I've never seen a pilothouse center console Skipjack, so that's the way I'm leaning. And thanks for some inspiration! I love when skillful people are willing to document and share their builds.

Last edited:

SkippyNate

Feb 9, 2020
    Loma Linda CA
    Name
    Natanael Poenaru
    Boat
    1971 Skipjack 24
    I really like how you did all the work yourself: I am new to boats, and have little experience but I bought a 24 foot 1971 Skipjack to restore as a fun side project. The inboard engine needs to be restored or probably switched out. Any recommendations on what other engine I should replace it with?

bent rodz

Almost A Member
  • Aug 30, 2014
    San Diego
    Name
    Tony
    Boat
    Skipjack 24 Open
    Update to boat. Restoration round 2! Done!
    New seadek, New deck rail, New 200 gal fuel tank, New deck lids, etc! See link below!

Reactions: starbright55

SeaDawg

Grouper Hunter
    Mar 18, 2003
    Key West
    Name
    Harry
    Boat
    Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
    Holy Shit!

Reactions: bent rodz