The Bushman

The Bushman
Mar 5, 2005
El Cajon
Name
Ken Bush
Boat
everyone elses
Well, it was one of those trips that we all dream about. Everything we did turned to fish. Started off last Friday heading south, going slow and to the outside of the storm that was at Alijos, waiting for it to move east and south. While heading south we found two barn door sized kelps that yielded limits of Dorado in two wide open bites. We left them biting and headed south to the rocks, arriving about 3pm. We had the place to ourselves, as the storm had chased off any other boats. We trolled around for a few wahoo, before Kevin set us up on the spot, where we stayed for the next 48 hours. And what a spot it was! We immediately began pulling in a great grade of yellowfin, all between 65 and 110 lbs. It was a great grade of fish, with most of them being about 75# to 80#. What a site to see those fish coming over the rail at a steady pace. The first day from about 4pm on, we put about 25 fish on board, losing an estimated 40 to the sharks, and/or pulled hooks. The next day the sharks mostly disappeared and we continued pulling these tuna onboard, and making them a new home in the Intrepids RSW. All in all, our 17 anglers put on over 124 of these quality tuna, before heading up the line to Cedros for some YT. We arrived at Cedros, and after trying a few spots, we found our wide open yellowtail bite. It must have been an omen, when we were fishing the YT, (up on the beach inside) a pod of porpoise came by, and the next thing you know we were catching 25# to 30#yellowfin on the surface iron at Cedros. Strange indeed....almost as strange as seeing Choate with spinning gear...

Needless to say, it was a fantastic trip, and I'm sure everyone will be back next year. I'd like to thank Bill Roecker and Paul Sweeney for coming along and videoing and taking pics, as well as all the swag they brought. Thanks to all our sponsors as well, including Jerry(JLI) for his jigs, Bloodydecks for the swag, Owner hooks, Lori Bryon/Chuck Byron foundation,Cork Puppy, 5 star fish processing, my co chartermaster Miles for the awesome Tuna Chasers/Ken Bush Custom Rods T-shirts, and a big thanks to the crew of the Intrepid and my co-anglers. It was an unforgettable trip. Enjoy the pics!

Also, check out the reports from the Intrepid website:
Intrepid Daily Fishing Report

Attachments

Sep 10, 2008
Orange County
Name
George
Boat
Sporties
nothing like a good trip to alijos!
looks like you guys slayed em, i keep hearing good stuff about that operation, I'm gonna have to take a trip with them sooner or later.

grats' Ken, glad to see you guys had a good time.

rodblder

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Feb 19, 2004
San Diego
Visit site
Name
Jim
Boat
none at this time
Congrats Ken, great trip, nice report and pics.
Gotta see pics of David with a spinner to believe it..................

Bigfish69

Dirty Fisherman
Jun 19, 2006
Lakeside Ranch
Name
JOHN
Boat
Wellcraft V-20, 200 hp etec, 85' Holiday sportfisher
awesome trip,,those are the perfect size for the BBQ.

69R

Albacrazy

NUCKIN FUTS 4 2NA
Sep 24, 2006
Vegas
Name
Drew
Boat
18' Coleman
Nice job guys! What dreams are made of indeed!

writebrian

... and I'm 6'5"
Jan 16, 2007
Arizona
Name
Brian
Boat
Whoever is Hot that week
Not only are there pictures of Choate an a coffee grinder but I have video as well! Funny thing is he is good on a Stella too. Yellowtail was dead in under 3 minutes!

Ali

Master of Nothing
Admin
Apr 24, 2003
San Diego
Name
That Guy
Boat
31' Innovator
Damn. Nice work.

those are perfect eating size.

I'll be happy to take some RSW off your hands.

:D

nick17yz

TUNA TOKER
Nov 6, 2008
SEEKER RODS
Name
Nick Rekrut
Boat
Longrange
dopest dope hands down!!!!!!!!!

split_finger_21

ehhhhhhh
Apr 4, 2006
San Marcos, CA
www.fishingvideos.com
Name
Paul "Paparazzi"
Boat
Standup Fishing!
Had a great time fishing with your group Ken... Great trip, great group of guys, a lot of fun. Ken and Miles insisted that my tags be put in for their raffle... I should have insisted that Ken's box of cigars for the boat should have been included in the raffle! haha... Monday comes around, I'll load you up with the pics! Thanks again... I had a a blast.

poncherello

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 11, 2005
san Diego
Name
Jerry
Boat
none
Hey Ken and Gang. Glad you guys had a blast on your trip. Those wahoo sure looked purdy. What colors worked on the iron?

Nov 29, 2005
Oregon
Name
Kurt
Boat
24' North River Seahawk hardtop "Ohana Time"
What a trip indeed!!!!!

Dad and I had a blast fishin' with a great group of guys, on a great boat with a great captain and crew :beerbang: Paul, it was fun fishin' with you and Bill, can't wait to see the pics.

Many thanks to you and Miles for putin' this trip together......oh and the new JX 6/4 :D

We will be back :_shopping

Orca

シャチ, 鯱
Aug 16, 2003
Mira Mesa Ca
Name
Don
Boat
2359 Trophy, Irene Sea
Great trip, thanks Ken and Miles for putting it together. Tons and I mean tons of raffle prizes and fabulous fishing. A big thanks to Kevin for coming up with a game plan that produced some great fishing. Kevin and crew are the best, very service orientated and personable. Fished with a great bunch of guys will be back next year.

kml

Oct 29, 2008
Vista
Name
Kyle
Boat
66 MUSTANG
Ken, I'm glad to see you guys knocked em dead !! Sounds like a great trip !!! We were your neighbors at the rocks for a couple days hitting em hard too!! I posted up a report if your interested!! Thanks for the report & good fishing !! Kyle

Last edited:

writebrian

... and I'm 6'5"
Jan 16, 2007
Arizona
Name
Brian
Boat
Whoever is Hot that week
Nice shot Paul! The effect is awesome too.

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
wow awsum trip my son and i going dec 26 hope we do as well
any sugestions first time on intrepid
We all hope you and your son have a great trip. This excat time frame last year resulted in a Mayhem Monday" at Point Loma with six boats returning, all with tuna over 300 lbs.

Current Conditions

Suggestions? Be ready to rumble. Skip the light tackle bringing only one 40-50 lb outfit for making bait or for fishing Yellows or Reds on the way down or on the way back up. This time of year is not a variety trip kind of thing. It's all about getting to the Lower Banks and looking for a few good ones. The big fish don't school up in the numbers that you see with smaller fish. A few of them might be found swimming together. Plan on spending your time at the rail, soaking Sardines and maybe Mackerel, staying ready to slide a bait on a school, and pulling really hard if you hook up with one of those big ones.

Nov 29, 2005
Oregon
Name
Kurt
Boat
24' North River Seahawk hardtop "Ohana Time"
wow awsum trip my son and i going dec 26 hope we do as well
any sugestions first time on intrepid
A friend from up here is on the same trip, his first one. Steve pretty much summed it up for those trips. Good luck have a great time.

Paul, great pic!!! Dave's enthusiasm and hustle was fun to watch.

The Bushman

The Bushman
Mar 5, 2005
El Cajon
Name
Ken Bush
Boat
everyone elses
My only other suggestion is save room for dessert... Javiers cooking is so good you should plan on gaining about a pound a day... seriously! Enjoy your trip!

Last edited:

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
My only other suggestion is save room for dessert... Javiers cooking is so good you should plan on gaining about a pound a day... seriously! Enjoy your trip!
Javier, what a nice guy. Here's how it goes in the morning.

7:00 "Your first wake up call, breakfast will be served in the galley at 7:30."

7:25 " We will be serving breakfast in the galley starting in five minutes. Get up, have some coffee, come join us for breakfast. You have to eat, or you will die!"

Alaska4me

Sep 11, 2009
Tacoma, WA
Name
Rob Olson
Boat
16 Lund
We all hope you and your son have a great trip. This excat time frame last year resulted in a Mayhem Monday" at Point Loma with six boats returning, all with tuna over 300 lbs.

Current Conditions

Suggestions? Be ready to rumble. Skip the light tackle bringing only one 40-50 lb outfit for making bait or for fishing Yellows or Reds on the way down or on the way back up. This time of year is not a variety trip kind of thing. It's all about getting to the Lower Banks and looking for a few good ones. The big fish don't school up in the numbers that you see with smaller fish. A few of them might be found swimming together. Plan on spending your time at the rail, soaking Sardines and maybe Mackerel, staying ready to slide a bait on a school, and pulling really hard if you hook up with one of those big ones.
I am having to rethink my gear for the 11 day trip leaving Dec 8th. Usually I go in Oct on a 10 day trip and it is a variety of fish type trip. Going this late I think I will scale down my 50-60 pound outfits and go more with the 80-130 gear. Damn, just when I thought I had all the stuff I needed I read your post Steve. I knew it but maybe was just not wanting to buy a few more 50 size reels. But hey remember; who ever has the most when they die, wins! I may not win but I will surely place.
BTW, Anglers Center has Seaguar Premier fluorocarbon at 20% off.

Sep 10, 2008
Orange County
Name
George
Boat
Sporties
Javier, what a nice guy. Here's how it goes in the morning.

7:00 "Your first wake up call, breakfast will be served in the galley at 7:30."

7:25 " We will be serving breakfast in the galley starting in five minutes. Get up, have some coffee, come join us for breakfast. You have to eat, or you will die!"
7 and 730 bfast? sign me up. from what i remember the boats i usually fish on have bfast closer to 6 or 630. Of course I usually sleep through it anyways, but that extra 30-60 minutes might just be the deciding factor now!