MXJ raptor question

sonny818

Jun 13, 2015
West Hills
Name
Fred
Boat
22nd Street
So it says it’s max drag is 26 lbs on the raptor...is this at full or strike? If so is it advisable to fish max 80lbs leader in this? Trying to figure out the limits on this reel. So far I have 80lbs braid filled to the rim. I’m planning to set the drag to 20lbs on strike. Fishing this weekend out of Oceanside and heard bluefin are out to play. Hoping I won’t be out gunned with this rig. Any help would be appreciated

Reactions: Shewillbemine

AKSalmon

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 15, 2006
Juneau, Alaska
Name
Bill Brown
Boat
Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
MX Raptor is a fine reel, but not really designed for 80# line. You can use 80# braid, of course, but keep the leader to 50#or less.

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
The MXJ Raptor is rated at 21lbs. Strike and 31 lbs. Full.
The SX is 17 lbs. Strike and 26 Full.

I would fill that reel with 60 lb. spectra and fish it with 30 - 60 lbs. leader.

That reel can handle a nice fish but can easily get spooled by the fish that are around right now.

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
So it says it’s max drag is 26 lbs on the raptor...is this at full or strike? If so is it advisable to fish max 80lbs leader in this? Trying to figure out the limits on this reel. So far I have 80lbs braid filled to the rim. I’m planning to set the drag to 20lbs on strike. Fishing this weekend out of Oceanside and heard bluefin are out to play. Hoping I won’t be out gunned with this rig. Any help would be appreciated
How much 80 Spectra does it hold?

mike garrahan

TheSabreGuy
Sep 7, 2007
la habra hts
Name
mike garrahan
Boat
23 ft. crestliner
I fished an MXL Raptor at Guadalupe last year. It is the same reel as the MXJ Raptor only it is a little wider for more line capacity. I was fishing 65lb spectra with a 40lb fluro leader. We were catching YFT from 75 to 100 lbs and you had to use quite a bit of drag to stop them. The reel worked very well but after about 4 or 5 fish we knocked the pinion bearing out and had to put the reel away for the rest of the trip. The MXJ and MXL Raptors are good reels but they are not what you want to use when there are really big fish around. They are great for 40lb and 50lb line when the fish are up to 80 or 90 lbs but if you start getting into fish over 100lbs or fishing 60lb line you really need something bigger. If I was going out for blufin right now I would be bringing a JX raptor, an HX raptor and maybe an HXW raptor loaded with 65lb, 80lb and 100lb spectra.

Almud

Jan 3, 2015
Name
Almud
Boat
Wish I Had One
I have MXJ, JX, HXJ and HX Raptors. Would not target BFT on MXJ. H series a better choice. Caught a 140# halibut on MXJ while targeting lingcod. Fun fight but if it was a tuna, it would have spooled me. MXJ ok for smaller YFT.

Use the reel on my BH slow pitch rod. Really works well. One day in Panama, we were on a pinnacle full of fish. Caught AJ, Rainbow Runner, small YFT, mullet snapper and others. Fish on every drop for a couple of hours. I use it in AK too.

65# Momoi depth finder. Just changed out to Nomad metered line when I could not find more Momoi.

Last edited:

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
Nov 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Gee Bee
Boat
Partial to AZTEC - aspiring to INTREPID
I fished MXJ Raptor w/ 65# spectra and 50# fluoro leader for 50-60 pounders bluefin w/ 15lbs drag

performed beautiful - not even close to getting spooled

like the others, I would suggest a larger reel for larger or meaner tuna - the MXJ is line challenged it being the narrow version, and I think 20lbs drag may be pushing MX Raptor series to limits for 70#-plus tuna

generally, I think a tuna reel should hold bare minimum 350yards line (and solid drag system)

richardblufin

Jun 23, 2009
POWAY CA
Name
Richard Jones
Boat
Bigger is Better Thats what she said
Consider Line capacity for Bigger Fish. HX min for 100lbers

HighWildFree

Feb 16, 2018
OC
Name
Erik
Boat
Moooo!
E8D9FBC4-D31F-4C4D-8822-CC601CF91246.jpeg
Caught this baby on a MXJ Raptor loaded with 65lb braid and topped with 30lb mono on a size 1 Flyliner, not recommended. Brother hooked a larger model on same reel, fish went straight to Hawaii without stopping.

Last edited:

IronMikeAC

Aug 2, 2013
torrance, ca
Name
Mike
Boat
Vagabond

aguachico

Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
The MX series are great reels to fish at 20#'s of drag. Most rods you have connected are not rated past 20#'s a drag for such a small reel. The MXJ is tiny without a lot of line capacity, so long soaked and stretched baits are not ideal. Hence I use the MXL ona a rod rated 30-50#'s at around 18-20#; of drag at strike for BFT and down to 12-15# of strike for most other fish.

I have crushed a few bearings, so be careful.

aguachico

Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
Yes. It's not necessary to screw the drag knob all the way then go into full to get the max drag. Get an accurate scale and do increments. Also remember as the fish is dumping line, the drag increases.

I also broke a rod with my raptor, 20# of drag is rated for a 60# rod.

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
View attachment 1170119Caught this baby on a MXJ Raptor loaded with 65lb braid and topped with 30lb mono on a size 1 Flyliner, not recommended. Brother hooked a larger model on same reel, fish went straight to Hawaii without stopping.
Yup...did the same last year but the non raptor version...But with the blue fin of a life time out there an lx would be the smallest I'd fish for the extra line capicty afterthat even if tyou go as light as 30

20190509_182139.jpg

mmayo

Barking Spider
Jul 18, 2006
Tehachapi, CA
www.landofmayo.com
Name
Mark
Boat
Vagabond & Royal Star
My MXJ Raptor is my new go to 40# reel with a Phoenix 870 HAX rod. It casts, in my hands, better than my JX 6/3 or my JX Raptor. I would not hesitate to tie 50# to this reel too, it has plenty of strength, but not infinite line capacity. My feeble casting distance is now more respectable and I have been getting the bigger fish beyond the smaller ones inside. I have easily landed 50# tough YFT at Guadalupe, it was workmanlike and smooth with plenty of drag. My 40# was making that “tinking” sound as it stretched during the fight indicating that was plenty of drag for the line test even though the reel still had more to give. The skipper was thinking about the need to add more drag when he listened and said good enough. I have mine filled with 50# 8 strand Toro Tamer which is round and smooth. I like this small Raptor enough that I bought another for 30# and I do not think I’ll worry about drag pressure again.

To me if you want an 80# reel Avet makes a bunch of them - HX Raptor EX30 and EX50 should fit the bill. For 60# I use an HX 5/2 or a JX Raptor.

Last edited: