walkerman

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
May 7, 2008
Ventura
Name
Steve
Boat
n/a
Would it be pushing it to use an MXL raptor as your go to reel for a 50 lb live bait reel for LR trips? Title is wrong…MXL, not MXJ

2. would 65lb braid be OK for a 50lb topshot, or would you want 80lb braid for a 50lb topshot?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AKSalmon

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 15, 2006
    Juneau, Alaska
    Name
    Bill Brown
    Boat
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    The reel has plenty of drag. My concern would be the small spool diameter and the 50# mono topshot -- it's going to get pretty curly and tough to cast.

Upvote 0

SouthBayKiller

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Mar 27, 2003
    Long Beach, CA
    Name
    Robert
    Boat
    none
    I have ~300-350 yards of 65lb braid on mine, you get more on it but i have a though time fishing it full to the max due to the wider spool.
    I sometimes fish 50 (sometimes heavier locally) on it. It has the drag to handle it fine, but I think it lacks in capacity to be a true 50lb offshore reel. I also agree with the comment on the narrow spool, not really an issue if you fishing a shot 4-6' leader like I do with it, but if want a wind on it will likely get pigtailed.

I primarily use mine as a stealthy 40lb bait reel. I know lots people fish 40-50 on sx raptors so maybe I'm just a pussy.

Upvote 0

$norkle

May 6, 2008
    Corvallis,OR
    Name
    Bruce
    Boat
    In my dreams!
    Yes, it'll handle it just fine. I have nearly 500yds of 50lb JB solid on mine. Fish it with 40lb izor blue topshot. Handled a 99.6lb YFT easily---it was the rod that struggled a little lifting the critter (700M).

Upvote 0

MVFD99

Feb 10, 2013
    USA
    Name
    Sinker
    Boat
    None
    $norkle,
    Thinking of running the same thing. An MXL on a 700M....sooo maybe a 700H?

Too heavy????

Upvote 0