PENN

BarryFree

Fighting off becoming a Tackle Ho!
Sep 26, 2007
Moreno Valley, California
Name
Barry
Boat
Former owner of Skipjack FB 24 and Skipjack 20' open.
Got a chance to fish the Mustang out of H&M Landing on Friday Nov 24th on a 1.5 day. I figured it would be a parking lot since the hot biting BFT had trips popping up left and right. I thought the pressure on the fish would be too much and it was. The boat caught 17 or 23 smaller grade BFT. My bud Tony caught three of them and shared one with me. It was the best tasting tuna I have had all year. The Mustang had an anchor problem (missing anchor winch) which they tried to resolve with a makeshift floating anchor, which ate up a good portion of fishing time. I understand they were to have a new anchor system installed very soon. I noted the large bags of Salt they loaded and wondered how preserved the fish would come out. I recall reading somewhere that the fish should come out fresher this way and it was! While the fish count suffered for most of the fleet this time, I have to commend the crew on the Mustang. The Captain kept fishing hard and did not stay in one place too long. During this trip, each time that I found myself caught up in a tangle and had to re-tie they were Johnny on the spot. Offering to re-tie my rig each time. I let them, knowing they can do it faster and better than I can. The crew was top notch from the Captain, cook and deckhands - service was impeccable. The cook did a lasagna from scratch that made me want to slap my mama. I did learn a lesson this trip though and that is, even when they say do not bring less than 80# setup. Bring a 20-25# setup as that was the key to being bit in the absence of the jumbo BFT. The AC in the bunkhouse works well so dress appropriately and bring some ear plugs as the guy next to me had a horrible snoring issue which made me feel sorry for his wife if he had one. The sunset was awesome that day and it made me feel so proud to be an American and to be able to enjoy this freedom. For we know that freedom is not free and God Bless our troops serving in distant lands away from their families this Thanksgiving weekend, my son included.

I cannot wait to fish the Mustang again. To the crew on the Mustang, keep doing what you are doing! You guys are great!

Upvote 0

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
Thanks to your son and all that served.

I have never fished the Mustang but will if the opportunity presented itself. I know the captain comes from a fishy background.

Reactions: BarryFree
Upvote 0

jim isbell

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jun 25, 2015
Anaheim, CA
Name
Jim Isbell
Boat
19' Campion/115 4 stroke Yamaha
Got a chance to fish the Mustang out of H&M Landing on Friday Nov 24th on a 1.5 day. I figured it would be a parking lot since the hot biting BFT had trips popping up left and right. I thought the pressure on the fish would be too much and it was. The boat caught 17 or 23 smaller grade BFT. My bud Tony caught three of them and shared one with me. It was the best tasting tuna I have had all year. The Mustang had an anchor problem (missing anchor winch) which they tried to resolve with a makeshift floating anchor, which ate up a good portion of fishing time. I understand they were to have a new anchor system installed very soon. I noted the large bags of Salt they loaded and wondered how preserved the fish would come out. I recall reading somewhere that the fish should come out fresher this way and it was! While the fish count suffered for most of the fleet this time, I have to commend the crew on the Mustang. The Captain kept fishing hard and did not stay in one place too long. During this trip, each time that I found myself caught up in a tangle and had to re-tie they were Johnny on the spot. Offering to re-tie my rig each time. I let them, knowing they can do it faster and better than I can. The crew was top notch from the Captain, cook and deckhands - service was impeccable. The cook did a lasagna from scratch that made me want to slap my mama. I did learn a lesson this trip though and that is, even when they say do not bring less than 80# setup. Bring a 20-25# setup as that was the key to being bit in the absence of the jumbo BFT. The AC in the bunkhouse works well so dress appropriately and bring some ear plugs as the guy next to me had a horrible snoring issue which made me feel sorry for his wife if he had one. The sunset was awesome that day and it made me feel so proud to be an American and to be able to enjoy this freedom. For we know that freedom is not free and God Bless our troops serving in distant lands away from their families this Thanksgiving weekend, my son included.

I cannot wait to fish the Mustang again. To the crew on the Mustang, keep doing what you are doing! You guys are great!

Thanks for that, I have ben trying to find a good boat.

Upvote 0

jim isbell

Jun 25, 2015
Anaheim, CA
Name
Jim Isbell
Boat

and I agree--always about tossing in a light rig in case the big fish just are not around. They really should NOT give that advice, It should be "you MUST bring am 80 pound class rig, but remember to bring a light one too, just in case". But they don't do that, and they should

Upvote 0

RJMer

Nov 15, 2016
San Diego
Name
Rick Merina
Boat
Not yet...
That’s been posted all over the H&M site for a couple weeks now and that’s one of the first things they’re telling people when you get on the boat.

Reactions: kevina and solid72
Upvote 0

jim isbell

Jun 25, 2015
Anaheim, CA
Name
Jim Isbell
Boat
That’s been posted all over the H&M site for a couple weeks now and that’s one of the first things they’re telling people when you get on the boat.
Good to hear I'm out of date on that one. I the past, I was told time and time again "bring NOTHING lighter than 40, or 60, or 80" But even as teenagers, we would then board and more than half the time it was the guy with super light line that got bit.

Upvote 0

RJMer

Nov 15, 2016
San Diego
Name
Rick Merina
Boat
Not yet...
You can always fish down on your line but not up. I.e. you can put a 30lb fluoro leader on top of 80lb test and it does a lot more than the opposite.

Upvote 0

jim isbell

Jun 25, 2015
Anaheim, CA
Name
Jim Isbell
Boat
You can always fish down on your line but not up. I.e. you can put a 30lb fluoro leader on top of 80lb test and it does a lot more than the opposite.
Yeah, but I watched a guy fishing a full spool of 80 spectra with 200 pound leader, that made sense. His drag maxed out with the 80--no need to go any higher, but the 200 was to keep a big blue fin from biting through the line.

Upvote 0

datguyjoe

Oct 16, 2009
san diego, ca. usa
Name
joe
Boat
n/a
and I agree--always about tossing in a light rig in case the big fish just are not around. They really should NOT give that advice, It should be "you MUST bring am 80 pound class rig, but remember to bring a light one too, just in case". But they don't do that, and they should
reality is any real fisherman prepares themselves with many setups because you never know! for example I always bring my jigstick no matter what!!!! 976 TUNA gives us dope as well to prepare us but anyways...MUSTANG KICKS ASS!!!!

Upvote 0

BarryFree

Fighting off becoming a Tackle Ho!
Sep 26, 2007
Moreno Valley, California
Name
Barry
Boat
Former owner of Skipjack FB 24 and Skipjack 20' open.
reality is any real fisherman prepares themselves with many setups because you never know! for example I always bring my jigstick no matter what!!!! 976 TUNA gives us dope as well to prepare us but anyways...MUSTANG KICKS ASS!!!!

Beg to differ, I would not bring a Marlin setup or a cow killer setup on a White sea Bass trip.

Upvote 0

datguyjoe

Oct 16, 2009
san diego, ca. usa
Name
joe
Boat
n/a
Beg to differ, I would not bring a Marlin setup or a cow killer setup on a White sea Bass trip.
true but the thread I replied to is about on a sportie where most of us bring a 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 80 or a big boy cow setup for the offshore fishing thats going on right now! so to go into depth!!! being more prepared is better than being not prepared enough!

Upvote 0

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    Good to hear I'm out of date on that one. I the past, I was told time and time again "bring NOTHING lighter than 40, or 60, or 80" But even as teenagers, we would then board and more than half the time it was the guy with super light line that got bit.
    You can never take to much with you, Within reason. Better to have it then not have one with you.

Reactions: datguyjoe
    Upvote 0