Badfish Pat

Average size "Member"
Apr 10, 2012
Seattle, Wa, USA
Name
Patrick
Boat
26' Boston Whaler Outrage "PAC-MAN"
Not sure if this has been posted already...

I looked at buying the auto-tether system last year (from Autotether) but decided against it as it didn't have great reviews and seemed like a bulky installation and device.

http://www.autotether.com/

I just found out that Fell Marine has released a new Man overboard system that ties into the kill switch. I put an order in this week and will report back on installation and functionality...

https://www.fellmarine.com/

Upvote 0

FVSerenity

Tuna Boss FV HappyHours
Feb 27, 2012
The Salt
Name
Rod
Boat
22' Duckworth FVSerenity, 2502 Trophy FVHappyHours
Lol, so that’s what goes on when your out there alone!

Upvote 0

The Peddler

Living vicariously through others.
May 28, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
Matt
Boat
2400 SeaSport Explorer - "Permanent Waves"
I bought an AutoTether a number of years-ago, before the FELL option was available. It has been flawless for me, installation could not have been any easier, and I can move a single unit between boats and/or kickers as long as the kill switch is the same (Yamaha) type.

I mounted the "base unit" to my forward helm dash with self-adhesive Velcro, and have placed similar Velcro on my kicker as well. When I'm trolling solo, I move the base unit from the helm to the kicker. I figure I'm most-likely to fall-in if I'm trying to deploy/retrieve a downrigger ball, or when trying to reach a release. Kicker in gear, auto-pilot engaged, there's no way I'm going to be able to get back to the boat.

I agree something like either unit is a must for solo trips, or trips with only my young kids as crew. (Though my daughter will probably be old enough to learn how to drive/control the boat by next Summer.)

Upvote 0

fishbadger

• Apr 6, 2012
    WA
    Name
    fishbadger
    Boat
    .Grady Gulfstream 232 "Herd of Turtles"
    Big fan of the auto-tether so far. I hard-wired mine to the helm station, and it's performed perfectly for two seasons. Only mishap was battery in the fob unit dying at an inopportune time when navigating a narrow channel out of the harbor once, but it worked out OK.
    fb

Upvote 0