musky rod spiral/ acid wrapped, long transition or short transition guides ??

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Building Forum' started by steelfish, Jul 25, 2016.

1. steelfish

steelfish the BBB, Baja Bass Boy..

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    all parts are already ordered and just waiting for them, before I started interested on rod building I was just thinking to change all the guides and follow the same guide set up of a 9ft surf fishing rod wrapped with spiral guides and made the same configuration on my musky rod.

but I have seen many pictures of acid wrapped rods and most of them the transition guides are spaced as normal just the offset degrees nesessary 0, 60, 120, 180 to made the transition to the bottom but in mine the transition guides are really close to each other.

this is a common acid / spiral wrapped rod, with a normal spacing between guides as used on a casting rod
    [​IMG]

this is mine, its factory made fenwick 9ft 15-30 line M-action, 2 sections HMX IM7 salmon rod
    check the transition guides, all transition is made in 14" by 4 guides, stripping guide is on 8" mark and last transition guide is on 22" all of them separated by 4.5" and then a normal guide spacing is used 12", 11", 9.5", etc. etc

[​IMG]

this is how the line goes on the guides with just 1 lb as weight
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

doesnt look that bad, although I think they could've be arranged better

well this is the same rod and my musky rod at the top
    the musky rod which is way stiffer that the surf rod, has 2 guides in the same spacing on which the spiral guides on the surf rod has 4 guides fitted there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this is how the musky rod bends with the same 1 LB weight
    the musky rod specs are 20-50line 2-6oz lure XH M8 graphite.

[​IMG]

the pictures where just ilustrative to help you guys to now the facts and help me on my next question.

on my musky rod should I follow the same spacing on the guides than stock factory guides spacing just turning the new guides few degrees to make the transition or its ok the copy cat the same spacing used on the salmon rod and fit 4 transition guides on the same spacing of the 1-2 guides ?

I will use the musky rod on saltwater to cast 2 and 3oz Kroc spoons, 3-4oz jigs and such to spanish macks, cabrillas and everything that our local inshore fisheries have to offer.

2. Wiseguy

Wiseguy Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Jimmy
    Boat:
    17' Keywest
    Static test is your best option.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

3. tanner.s

tanner.s Fish Slaughterer

Name:
    Tanner
    Boat:
    1997 Proline 23 W/A
    I would go in between the two spacings and static test/tweak until it looks right and won't touch the blank.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

4. steelfish

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    spacing as normal casting rod or spacing like pics of the surf rod ?

the thing about using the same stock guide spacing on the musky rod is that I will end up with just 3 running guides at the bottom.

I might have to put a bumper guide between striper guide and 2nd guide and check it with static test

5. tanner.s

tanner.s Fish Slaughterer

Name:
    Tanner
    Boat:
    1997 Proline 23 W/A
    I meant custom spacing. Just lay them out and static test to see what works.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

6. steelfish

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    got it, thanks

7. tunalover69*

tunalover69* tunalover69*

Name:
    dave
    Boat:
    21 triumph cc
    start with stock guide spacing with the stripper at 0 then i do a simple spiral 10, 25, 35, 45, 135, over to 180 pull static in between stripper and 1st 180 guide