dsl

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    ave been doing Long Range fishing for almost 28-30 years now and caught my Largest Yellowfin (#345) when I was 62 yrs. old
    :urno1:

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    Lol! I get it. LR fishing can be physically demanding if not abusive. Not your typical tropical vacation. Have the weights. My job requires a lot of night work and loss of sleep. My biggest problem is soft hands. Guess I need the cobble stones!

Cobblestone workout. Will increase grip strength big time. With toughened palms from the roughness of the cobblestone jolting in the hands. Take a 3-4 mile walk lifting the cobblestones. Holding a heavy rated rod. Will feel like a feather, aftwards. Soft sand helps strengthen the legs and back.

3-4 miles a day with the eight pounders. Lifting in every direction possible. Strengthens grip incredibly. Do that 8-12 times a week. For 3 months and you are solid. Then back it off to 4-5 times a week. Thanks for the inspiration old dudes. I want to fish LR when I'm old

Actually fell off my exercise program for 2 weeks. Had some buddys visiting then had a food allergy reaction for my first time and got hives everywhere. Back on it today, almost got out of my routine and started to feel it. Needed you old dudes to inspire me :D

Yeeeeewwwww 🙏🏾🤙🏾💪🏾 best gym ever, feels so good. The beach grounded barefoot. BTW it's great foot and eye coordination not stepping on stones or walking/jogging in soft sand for endurance and strength or walking in shallow water kicking/scooping the water while holding the dumbells. Then go for a swim or surf or soak in one of the refreshing beach rivers or take a sunbathe afterwards. Sunbathe to refreshing river/lagoon aawwww

IMG_20210617_131230_edit_1584921343508.jpg

IMG_20210617_131257_edit_1645500749748.jpg

Great natural gym. No membership fees. Chick's in G-strings and maybe topless in the nooks and crannies.

FB_IMG_1623968670075.jpg

Even has a fresh water refreshing shower. Someone even told me that fish live in there

FB_IMG_1623968661313.jpg

FB_IMG_1623968602187.jpg

Get out and go run around dudes and dudets

Last edited:

$norkle

May 6, 2008
    Corvallis,OR
    Name
    Bruce
    Boat
    In my dreams!
    Bruce,

I am not saying that you are old but I was an undergrad at OSU and took a class or two from you. You are the one who got me interested in LR fishing with all your stories. But it took me 30 years to get on my first trip out of SD. I still have the short tuna sticks I built using your rod wrapping jug for halibut fishing up here. I would really like to fish with you some day.

I hope Life Begins at Retirement for me. My father retired and promptly died of cancer. He was only 52.
    Very sorry about your Dad. Yeah, I remember you in class and all the other stuff. When I retired (2006) I told them to give my position to a young PhD 'cause I was going fishing! It's worked out pretty well----I even deckhand on a charter here on the Oregon coast a couple/few days a week just to keep in touch with the ocean. The biggest difference now is how much my knees complain. Being 75 sure is a bitch!

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    Exactly. Crucial

Stay fit and keep going LR as long as possible :D so future generations may go. Keep the ball rolling with inspiration. When it's their turn?

My post, might help someone live longer and happier with less aches and pains. Pura Vida. Mission accomplished if it helps just one anonymous person, out of the club of 250,000

I started to really let myself go over the pandemic, at age 43 with a long background of extreme sports. Back strong. The human body is resilient

Also for the first time in 10 years. I installed TV with Netflix in the house and unlimited Wi-Fi. One year ago. That is not helping my physical health or immune system

Last edited:
    Reactions: One_Leg and terryc.
    Upvote 0

dsl

• Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    TV with Netflix in the house and unlimited Wi-Fi. One year ago. That is not helping my physical health or immune system
    Amen to that! 👍

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    The beach in the 70s. My oh my how the fast food industry has changed folks

piudp3k1gkk31.png

Folks in the 70s

11834907_10206225210927996_1030883646502925471_o.jpg

Paps now age 80, photo 2 years ago . Healthiest human I know and Mom also. My true inspiration. Paps is doing inverted push-ups.

Screenshot_20210617_223756.jpg

Upvote 0

TanstaaflSD

• Dec 3, 2013
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Name
    Tanstaafl
    Boat
    n/a
    Lol! I get it. LR fishing can be physically demanding if not abusive. Not your typical tropical vacation. Have the weights. My job requires a lot of night work and loss of sleep. My biggest problem is soft hands. Guess I need the cobble stones!
    I started with sungloves (per dermatoligist ... because of a well-spent outdoor youth). Now I use an AFTCO glove (with re-inforced index finger to lay the returning line) on my Left hand and to protect it from briad cuts at finger joints from knot-tying.) I often use a sunglove on my Right hand, or the long sleeve shirts with thumb holes at the wrist.

I like the idea of regional USA trips -- before the WuhanVirus lockdowns I did one for Salmon & Crabs to Shelter Cove (self-procesed), and for Salmon & Halibut to Alaska (frozen & boxed). Planning to do more as the US opens up.

I am now 74 & vaccinated. I think if we old guys work on fitness, work on body flexibility, and are selective about trip selection, we can productively fish long range for quite a while ........ I sure hope so, as I am on the Indy for a variety trip in the fall ..... with a little help from my phys therapist ......
    See everyone at the bait tank,

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    The large flexwrap for horses, may be used. Use a razor blade to customize. For line finger cuts and raw thumb from guiding the spectra back on, proper

81+AbLtX3HL._AC_SY879_.jpg

Upvote 0

jbarbosa

Oct 24, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Visit site
    Name
    John "Rio" Barbosa
    Boat
    cabo panga
    Getting old SUCKS..! Turning 60 this year. Had to give up my true love for 30 years ( surfing), at 52. Had to give up martial arts after 20 years at 45. Still fishing big game offshore but my avatar, (holding a 110 pound yellowfin UPRIGHT at age 53) from a rocking panga, I don’t believe I can do anymore.... I’ll try and see what I can hoist in my coming trips but I now count my life in how many trips I think I have left...... :(

Last edited:
    Reactions: Chicago Pete
    Upvote 0

dsl

• Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    Upvote 0

offshore6

Where's the tuna?
    Aug 20, 2006
    Indialantic, Florida
    Name
    Eric
    Boat
    Boat Ho
    I'll turn 74 during my 15 day on the Excel in January, 2022. I don't fish all day and all night like I used to but if there is a bite projected, I'll be there. I still use a harness/plate for standup. I pack back, knee, wrist braces but, so far, have not opened the packaging. Assuming no major setbacks, I will be on the January 2023 15-Day.

Pangamaster

Cow Town Here I come!
    Jul 1, 2008
    San Ramon, CA
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
    I just completed the first 8 day trip of the year on the Indy....I'm 53......I started long range fishing in 1993.....when I first started everyone was older than me....these days when I look around at my fellow passengers.....they're still almost all older than me...I think I was like 5th youngest on my last trip. Where are all the young people?

I've even fished the same trip as Steve just wrote....actually a few times. That trip is one of the best I've ever been on...and one of the worst.....due to weather.

I stayed up like the last 36 hours of our trip fishing for those POS Bluefin.....for nada but a lack of sleep....I will get them!

Upvote 0

Mean Gene

Old Fat Guy
    Oct 27, 2013
    Ennis, Montana
    Name
    Gene
    Boat
    The Searcher
    I’m also not retired yet, but when I do go out on longer trips there is always the chance of the “big one” and needing to get medivac’d off the boat. I never want to put the wife in a spot to wire transfer $100k to Medivac my @$$ off the boat. She’d just say just bag and tag me.

This is why I have been buying Bob Dawson’s Trip insurance. They also insure the RP and crew and other sport fishers. No brainer for me and my other older buddies.

I was introduce to this by a older gentleman. He was in this late 70’s and said he always shows this card to his roommate and tell him if anything happens and he’s in bad shape to make any decisions to go in his wallet and call the number on the back of the card to medivac his @ss off the boat. No burden to call family members to transfer $$$. I read Medivac won’t move until money is transferred to them $50-$100k.

View attachment 1290490

Thanks for posting that! Just got off the phone with them awaiting an email with quotes. Super nice guy and has hunted elk here in the area where I live.

60 and retiring???? Now I'm really feeling old---LOL. Congratulations. I tell all my friends that life begins at retirement.

I am not saying that you are old but I was an undergrad at OSU and took a class or two from you. You are the one who got me interested in LR fishing with all your stories. But it took me 30 years to get on my first trip out of SD. I still have the short tuna sticks I built using your rod wrapping jug for halibut fishing up here. I would really like to fish with you some day.

I hope Life Begins at Retirement for me. My father retired and promptly died of cancer. He was only 52.

I retired 2 weeks after I turned 50. Not maxed out, but good enough for me. One of my retirement "presents" was a cancer diagnosis. 12 years later I'm still here. Only God knows for how long, but I have no intention of slowing down. Hell, last year at age 61 we built a house and other than the shell, electrical and plumbing my wife and I did everything else. I try and be as ready as I can when I step on the boat, and if the boat is fishing I'm at the rail. My plan is one trip a year of 7 days or more, every year, until I croak.

Upvote 0

calbrewguy

Jul 12, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Randy
    Boat
    None
    GOOD JOB and Great report and info. Now 75 and 8 shoulder surgeries later (damn tuna) now headed for thumb surgery 7/9. MCP joint has separation.
    Haven't fished since age 72-3 or so. I realized going out with broken injured body parts only makes it worse. My last trip I was jigging a 250gm Flat Fall with a 100lb/Avet 3 speed reel rig most all night, for nothing. Realized then not for me. Damn Bluefin.

I'm hopeful, like you to fish again, but longer trips are a thing of the past for me. Time to ease up.
    Wishing you all well and good health aging on the ocean. LOL Return of Albacore might jetson me. LOL
    You sound like me except worse and a little older so I'll probably catch up. I had the shoulder done now both need attention and I had that thumb done two years ago. 70 in October. Fished with you on Condor on a Colonet trip. Had a blast. Still trying to stay at it but it ain't gettin any easier. It's true, youth is wasted on the young. Now I've finally got time and money.

Upvote 0

dsl

• Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    Thanks for posting that! Just got off the phone with them awaiting an email with quotes. Super nice guy and has hunted elk here in the area where I live.

I retired 2 weeks after I turned 50. Not maxed out, but good enough for me. One of my retirement "presents" was a cancer diagnosis. 12 years later I'm still here. Only God knows for how long, but I have no intention of slowing down. Hell, last year at age 61 we built a house and other than the shell, electrical and plumbing my wife and I did everything else. I try and be as ready as I can when I step on the boat, and if the boat is fishing I'm at the rail. My plan is one trip a year of 7 days or more, every year, until I croak.
    Keep up the good work, brother!

Upvote 0

hot tuna

May 7, 2007
    Tahoe
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    clawfoot tub
    Interesting, I actually enjoy night fishing - if the fish are biting. Day AND night fishing can be tiring, but the cool air, no sunblock and fewer folks at the rail are nice. Sometimes the fish become confused and do not pull as hard. You see all kinds of unusual marine critters at night too. It is certainly not getting easier as we age, but I am fighting it every step!

Be prepared...

- Jeff Burroughs
    Zombie on my friend!

Upvote 0