Dexter Outdoors

fshholc

Jul 18, 2005
Carlsbad, Ca
Name
Jay
Boat
sold
Good post Steve. Like many have said already this Bluefin fishing is for the young at heart and for the first time last year, I choose sleep over a good nite time BF bite. Personally, I've never been one to sleep when the fish are biting, so I'm doing a little soul searching about my upcoming 3, 7-day trips. It's like anything you have to know when to quit. Thank God the Bluefin limits are 2 per day and 6 per trip. Sleep is much more important to me now than ever before. My 74 yr. old body needs the rest. More power to the younger generation of LR fishermen, we've paid our dues.

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
I think there’s a difference in motivation factor at the end of an 8 day trip when you’ve traveled to Alijos, made bait and fished an evening on those Yellows, then traveled back up. As opposed to being genuinely fired up for a day and a half trip.

I have the right gear, arms are strong enough but my back is the weak spot in the equation. Have been taking 800 mg tablets of Motrin and a muscle relaxant Robaxin since injuring my back a little over 35 years ago. Had a 6mm bulge in a disc, L5-S1. It helps, but again, sometimes not enough.

Reactions: SCHeadhunter
themacs
themacs
Yep I get it. I had 2 major surgeries (lamenectomy's) on L5-S1 in 1980 and 1984. I still pull on cows since then but more carefully LOL
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

af dreamer

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Apr 16, 2007
long beach,ca
Name
tom
Boat
44 luhrs dreamer
Steve,im fighting a pinched nerve in my neck for about 2 month now,just got back from RI fishing strippers,casting and reeling all day with a numb hand.PITA but fought through it with 5 straight days of fishing.Only good part beside great fishing was not having to pull on big mean fish.Going in for a injection to hope get help for my 7day on the INDY July 10th.Getting old is not for PUSSY'S!Tom

Reactions: woodfish330
Upvote 0

pukahd

I’m getting nibbles
Oct 30, 2004
Torrance
Name
Brian
Boat
Cabo 216
I’m also not retired yet, but when I do go out on longer trips there is always the chance of the “big one” and needing to get medivac’d off the boat. I never want to put the wife in a spot to wire transfer $100k to Medivac my @$$ off the boat. She’d just say just bag and tag me.

This is why I have been buying Bob Dawson’s Trip insurance. They also insure the RP and crew and other sport fishers. No brainer for me and my other older buddies.

I was introduce to this by a older gentleman. He was in this late 70’s and said he always shows this card to his roommate and tell him if anything happens and he’s in bad shape to make any decisions to go in his wallet and call the number on the back of the card to medivac his @ss off the boat. No burden to call family members to transfer $$$. I read Medivac won’t move until money is transferred to them $50-$100k.

1F878DEF-4D1E-4DF9-89BE-BCC8FB72B9EF.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
Yes, been relying on Dawson and an annual policy for several years. Got one for my wife for our cruise last year.

Reactions: pukahd
Upvote 0

Glades Angel

Nov 15, 2020
SoFla
Name
Robert M Rogers
Boat
Aquasport 215
Great topic,good to hear tips from my fellow boomers on how to manage the demands of fishing vs my aging body. I am approaching 66 and have mostly given up offshore fishing from my 22' Aquasport in favor of inshore fishing in the backwaters of our Everglades here in SoFla,much easier on the body. Small savage fish on lite tackle is as much thrill as yft on heavy tackle,yes? But a long range trip out of SD is still on my bucket list so keep the tips coming on how to train and equip for an enjoyable week of long ranging.

Reactions: kbray001
Hookum Greg
Hookum Greg
I have to respectfully disagree on little Savage fish on light tackle being equal to a fast swimming, hard pulling tuna. Nothing beats watching your fish be gaffed as your catching your second wind.
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Yellowtail Dan

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Excel, American Angler
    I’m retired but still have plenty of years before I hit the 70’s. That being said, I actually joined a gym to get into better shape to handle those long hours on the rail dropping flat falls. Between the rowing machine, curls, bent rows, and the like, my back is feeling better than it has in years. Steve hit it on the head- it’s tough.
    We put a full rack system, rowing machine, bike and dumbbell set in our smaller garage when they closed the gyms. Been a Godsend for me getting back in shape lifting and losing about 15lbs heading into knee surgery #3 next week.

Upvote 0

Phishy Phil

Almost A Member
    Jun 15, 2019
    SoCal
    Name
    Phil
    Boat
    Vagbond
    The most important factor for a great trip is being on the right boat with the right crew. If you start off with that, you will have an informative, enjoyable trip and you will probably catch fish - if you're lucky and the fish gods are smiling, you may catch lots and lots of very big fish - just review a few of the recent reports - just about everybody is getting bit. Do it as soon as you can - none of us are getting any younger, and the current long range season is shaping up to be flat out incredible (we all hope..).

Upvote 0

$norkle

May 6, 2008
    Corvallis,OR
    Name
    Bruce
    Boat
    In my dreams!
    Steve,

I will say it was nice sharing the rail with you on my last LR trip. You are laid back and friendly. Two attributes that I think everyone on a LR trip should have. I will turn 60 next year and plan to retire shortly after. I hope I can keep fishing as long as you have been able to.

Thanks for sharing this trip report and your perspective as a seasoned angler.
    60 and retiring???? Now I'm really feeling old---LOL. Congratulations. I tell all my friends that life begins at retirement.

Upvote 0

Ksurg

Jul 14, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Name
    KB
    Boat
    Outer Limits
    I think there’s a difference in motivation factor at the end of an 8 day trip when you’ve traveled to Alijos, made bait and fished an evening on those Yellows, then traveled back up. As opposed to being genuinely fired up for a day and a half trip.

I have the right gear, arms are strong enough but my back is the weak spot in the equation. Have been taking 800 mg tablets of Motrin and a muscle relaxant Robaxin since injuring my back a little over 35 years ago. Had a 6mm bulge in a disc, L5-S1. It helps, but again, sometimes not enough.
    Ok posts aren’t supposed to get personal, and I’m not giving professional advice. But when I said I’m sleepless with soft hands it’s because I’m a surgeon. Just so happens that I do spine surgery. While I can’t warranty anyone’s back for LR fishing, I will say it shouldn’t keep you from fulfilling your golden years and bucket lists.

As a final disclaimer I am also a spinal fusion patient myself. I get the concern and apprehension. My 2 cents is train, prepare, and fish smarter but don’t cheat yourself from enjoying LR fishing.

dsl

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    While I can’t warranty anyone’s back for LR fishing, I will say it shouldn’t keep you from fulfilling your golden years and bucket lists.
    👍

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    Upvote 0

Brad I

Common Sense Isn't Common Enough
    Jun 20, 2015
    San Fernando Valley
    Name
    Brad I
    Boat
    Nope
    I'm going to be 65 in a few weeks. I've had surgery for my knee, hernia, two for nerves in my right arm, both standard and Mohs surgery for skin cancer, a virus left me stone deaf in my right ear and I had to bail on a Memorial weekend trip because of Piriformas Syndrome (a type of sciatica).

But you all are making me feel young and healthy--THANKS GUYS! ;)

Upvote 0

screamingreel

Long Range Fanatic
    Jan 14, 2006
    Walnut Creek CA
    longrangesportfishingsandiego.com
    Name
    Jeff Burroughs
    Boat
    Long Range and Private
    Yep… the older I get, the less I like night fishing.
    Interesting, I actually enjoy night fishing - if the fish are biting. Day AND night fishing can be tiring, but the cool air, no sunblock and fewer folks at the rail are nice. Sometimes the fish become confused and do not pull as hard. You see all kinds of unusual marine critters at night too. It is certainly not getting easier as we age, but I am fighting it every step!

Be prepared...

- Jeff Burroughs

SCHeadhunter

May 22, 2006
    san clemente
    Name
    Tom
    Boat
    Sold to the man with $$$
    I am now settled into doing an 8 day at the beginning of September. I want the warm weather and the variety as well, particularly wahoo fishing. Night fishing for big yellows is insane fun when they are biting. But longer trips operate at a completely different pace than short trips. This BFT thing is a whole different animal. Endurance fishing for sure. I have a trip on the Supreme leaving today on a 1.5. I don't plan on sleeping much. I went to bed early last night.
    I just turned 59 and will fish as hard as I can for as long as I can.
    My dad really got into fresh water fishing the last 20 years of his life and while he liked offshore fishing, it just beat him up to much,
    I now have a bass boat and I get it. It's all good. I just want to fish.

Upvote 0

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
    Mar 27, 2013
    Alaska
    Name
    JAM
    Boat
    Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
    60 and retiring???? Now I'm really feeling old---LOL. Congratulations. I tell all my friends that life begins at retirement.
    Bruce,

I am not saying that you are old but I was an undergrad at OSU and took a class or two from you. You are the one who got me interested in LR fishing with all your stories. But it took me 30 years to get on my first trip out of SD. I still have the short tuna sticks I built using your rod wrapping jug for halibut fishing up here. I would really like to fish with you some day.

I hope Life Begins at Retirement for me. My father retired and promptly died of cancer. He was only 52.

Upvote 0

pgangler

12Wt
    Jul 25, 2012
    Pacific Grove, Calif
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    Was Cabo35, now GW Gulfstream
    Twenty years ago, I could not IMAGINE turning away a trip because it would be too hard on my body. Now (62 and retired), I can see when that might actually make sense - just not yet. I really feel for the guys who have had to miss years of fishing because of surgeries and ailments. That would depress the shit out of me - sorry fellas!

Two years ago, one of my closest friends/fishing partner (same age), and I looked at eachother and figured we might have 25 years left to fish (optimistically stopping at 85) - so we had no time to lose and better get on with it. Then the SOB got bone cancer and up and died. That got my attention.

On the other hand, I'm taking my 89 yr-old FIL out on the Rooster for a 1.75 day next week. He is a long time LR'r that many here know, and he wants me to bring him a 100-lb outfit...

GO GET 'EM!!

Upvote 0

pukahd

I’m getting nibbles
    Oct 30, 2004
    Torrance
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    Cabo 216
    Off topic a bit but when I first started freediving / spearfishing I was a bit hesitant diving up down to 70’ on a breathhold. I asked a spearing discussion board, if starting at 50 is too old and dangerous…..their response was hilarious 😂. They though it was a joke post. I found out dudes much older were free diving. Also discovered some serious spearos who were in their 70’s and keeping up with the young guns. I guess from that point I had a midlife crisis moment and since then have been feeling that +50 was not too old to venture to do anything. I’m 56 and still throwing the 10’ rods, up all nite with the young guns dropping on the BF. I’m not going down without a fight as my mind still thinks I’m 30.

I really envy the guys in their 60/70’s still out on the boats tugging on the BF and enjoying life !

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

fyermn

Sep 2, 2005
    Utah
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    LONG RANGE fishing
    Have you noticed that as we age, we talk more about our ailment to explain things.
    I am almost 73yrs. old.(not young), and feel it , even though my brain doesn't always believe it. I have been doing Long Range fishing for almost 28-30 years now and caught my Largest Yellowfin (#345) when I was 62 yrs. old on the Q105, November 10 day trip. I am a big guy 6'4" 235lbs. and it was a tough and tiring battle (5 1/2 hours). I have caught an addition 3 yft. over #200 since then.
    When people greet me and ask me how I am doing, my response is always "Not bad for an old man". If I had all my problems as a young man, I wouldn't be doing well at all. I am thankful for all the things I am still able to do, and that includes Long Range Fishing, but I am not sure how many more years I will be able to continue to do it. I really enjoy Long Range Fishing, and I am lucky that my wife understands. I will continue to do it until my body tells me-----NO MORE!
    PS----I enjoy sleeping at night, even on the boats.

Upvote 0