Murder in Bay of LA

Brass_Slacks

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 30, 2014
Name
Hank
Boat
Public
Don't kid yourself, the fishermen are a very small part of the tourist industry in Cabo. Look at all the high end Resorts. Cabo cater to families, golfers, etc.
And as soon as some flyover state tourists get murdered and it hits the American news it will drastically effect the flow of tourists in that area.

Reactions: No Cal Lou

Leslie. Christensen

El Chivito
May 31, 2014
Name
Leslie. Christensen
Boat
Ponga
Way different times , Remember Dick Dale
hanging out playing upright piano there, No clue when that was, I think the guy that built the Cabo San Lucas, his son was running it then, (Hacienda)

apple harbor

PINCHE GUERO
Mar 18, 2007
SEAL BEACH,BAJA MALIBU MEX
Name
anthony motshagen
Boat
26skipjack liki tiki
There's an update on BajaNomads concerning the incident,it appears that these individuals(BAD GUYS) have been run off before.It also states that the boat was never being launched they got it stuck while trying to flee in a hurry.Just quoting thread.

nefarious235

Aug 1, 2008
Proudly American
Name
Dan
Boat
canoe & plastic flotsam

Willdoggy

Willing Member
Jun 25, 2014
Chula Vista
Name
IG = WetWillyBiz
Boat
Purr-Sea-Stance: Boston Whaler Montauk 170

TRACE DAVIS

Jun 1, 2015
Name
TRACE DAVIS
Boat
YOUR BOAT
Sincere condolences to the families of Jo Anne Butler and Ray Ball.

The Mexican tourist economy is going to suffer if some vacationers and tourists decide to avoid it. However the meth, heroin and cocaine drug trade provides a more direct, and much larger financial incentive for the local Mexican police, military and politicians than the tourist industry does. So, if you think that if a bunch of vacationers avoid Mexico for a awhile that they will suffer and get the message than think again. The drug trade is their bread and butter and it is a dangerous fantasy to think that our financial input to their local economies will get the genuine attention and respect of the authorities and that that will make it safer to return. The bad guys play both sides of the economy and when the chips are down they bet with the narco traffickers.

If our two countries legalized the above mentioned drugs and Mexico adopted a second amendment type of law that liberalizes handgun ownership than the scene would be safer. Fantasy? Much less of a fantasy than going down as it is now thinking that your tourist dollars will save your families life.
legelize meth, herion and cocaine ,,,,your sic

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
The right to bear arms won't solve anything, no shortage of brutal killings here,school shootings,random murders,gang shit, domestic disputes,the list is endless. There's just a certain percentage of humans who lack whatever gene it is that keeps the majority of us from killing each other. Been happening since the caveman days. There's just fucked up people on this planet. Until we find a solution to that nowhere is absolutely safe.
Tell that to the guy who got murdered because he was forced to defend himself with a bat. More importantly, at least some of the criminal element would be detered by the prospect of running into a good guy with a gun. Do you really believe it won't solve ANYTHING, or you just don't like the idea of people less dependent on an ineffective government. How about freedom of choice. If you are not a criminal, you can choose to have a gun, or in your case not to have a gun. Why do some people feel compelled to impose their views on others?

Feb 7, 2010
Minneapolis/Gilroy/Buena Vista
Name
J. David LeCompte
Boat
20' Triton
Don't kid yourself, the fishermen are a very small part of the tourist industry in Cabo. Look at all the high end Resorts. Cabo cater to families, golfers, etc.
Hola amigos. I would think that if the crime continues, the families and golfers would be the first ones to abandon Baja? Which is to say, all means of tourist dollars will dry up.

Hola Bert, hope you're well!

Halfway through a 5-week stint in Buena Vista. Haven't noticed any increased uniformed presence. A military jet has cruised the coast a couple times. Not sure if it's an exercise, show of force, or meant to provide a sense of security.

I'm tempted to use it as an excuse for my surfcasting failures, jaja!

Yes. The news from Bahia de Los Angeles has me on mournful alert. I learned about Ray, Jo, and Bart from their friend and neighbor. We exchanged words of strength and sorrow. And I went for a swim, sipping and pouring out tequila, while listening to Bob Marley, at 2:30 am. That was the most honor I could muster. Call me a fool. God bless our differences.

Today I pulled on a healthy bull Dodo, and five nice footballs. And scattered some ashes along the way.
I'll be back. I don't want guns here. I'm going for a swim before the swells, winds, and rains come. Saludos y suerte, Dave.

No Cal Lou

No Cal Lou
Oct 1, 2009
Green Valley, Az
Name
Lou Salatich
Boat
none
Hola amigos. I would think that if the crime continues, the families and golfers would be the first ones to abandon Baja? Which is to say, all means of tourist dollars will dry up.

Hola Bert, hope you're well!

Halfway through a 5-week stint in Buena Vista. Haven't noticed any increased uniformed presence. A military jet has cruised the coast a couple times. Not sure if it's an exercise, show of force, or meant to provide a sense of security.

I'm tempted to use it as an excuse for my surfcasting failures, jaja!

Yes. The news from Bahia de Los Angeles has me on mournful alert. I learned about Ray, Jo, and Bart from their friend and neighbor. We exchanged words of strength and sorrow. And I went for a swim, sipping and pouring out tequila, while listening to Bob Marley, at 2:30 am. That was the most honor I could muster. Call me a fool. God bless our differences.

Today I pulled on a healthy bull Dodo, and five nice footballs. And scattered some ashes along the way.
I'll be back. I don't want guns here. I'm going for a swim before the swells, winds, and rains come. Saludos y suerte, Dave.
I think you are absolutely correct. Wouldn't be wonderful if it would put a hault to the ridiculous building of all the mega resorts. I think that they are destroying Mexico's charm. I call Cabo "Newport Beach South". I miss the Baja of 40 years ago.

tap

"The Roving Angler"
BD Writer
Jun 1, 2006
Valley Center, CA
www.rovingangler.com
Name
Tony Pena
Boat
n/a
Things change. In the 70's my 23' SeaCraft was about the only boat anchored at Cabo San Lucas as there were no marina slips. I had to get out of the way every Thursday as the mainland ferry would come in. We stayed at the old Mar de Cortez hotel and had lobster dinners for $4.50 as well as my fresh-caught thresher shark, etc. that was shared with a few other private boaters and locals. In several trips to Cabo and the East Cape not a thing was stolen from my boat which had radios and other electronics right on the console in addition to valuable fishing tackle, pumps, anchors, buckets, etc. that any local could use. Everyone took care of each other down there and the locals knew not to do anything that would harm tourism. Now you have to pull your boats and secure them largely because there are a lot of "non-locals" around who don't have the same level of pride and respect. Murder, drugs and illegal fishing are something else entirely and like "No Country for Old Men" we may be under-gunned.

nordic flyer

Feb 18, 2008
Hunt Bch
Name
Dain
Boat
30' PROLINE Hunt Bch 26' boat San Felipe MX
With all due respect......

Are, you outta your friggen mind brother?!!!!!

Not a single one of us should ever be ok with such a thought......... never!!

In any case, it's a true shame to what's happening in such a magical and special place. Unfortunately the problem is not singled out to just Mexico...... brash senseless killings are sadly a much more common occurrence everywhere these days. There seems to be very little respect for people and their lives anymore.

It's just magnified in Mexico due to the corrupt police force, as well as the sheer numbers game (ratio of killing per number of people living in an area) and a few other things.

Such a truly beautiful and amazing land Baja is, that this is just a seriously sad situation!! Some of my best memories and the most caring and gracious people I have ever met were down in Baja. It pains me to think of not visiting there again, or to think how badly this will effect the good, honest, caring locals who would feed you and give you the shirt off their back. The whole thing just sucks!!

We can only hope that somehow maybe both the US & Mex can collectively put their heads together and hope to find a way to slowly halt this problem before it goes the way of the Vaquita!

My friends that still drive down there, and all you other BD members who do the drive....... be safe!!!

The unknown fisherman:p:

nordic flyer

Feb 18, 2008
Hunt Bch
Name
Dain
Boat
30' PROLINE Hunt Bch 26' boat San Felipe MX
Jus my 2 cents here...early Saturday,should be fishin !
Have ya noticed...everytime theres a "incident" in Baja...
Local/national news,government,cartels,etc,etc
So far...5 pages of BD threads...
I've spent ALOT of time in Baja.
Shit happens...like it does here in your own backyard,but it doesnt make the news,govt.,drug "cartels",corruption,etc
Sorry gents...Baja is ...what it is...
Love it...or dont go !
Stay here in your "safe" zone ! (Ha)

Jus my 2 cents...not fishin right now...comin up on 7 am...think I 'll have a Pacifico !
Adios
I agree Bert (Correcto) We love the Sea of Cortez things happen. Bad things happen everyday in every city. Property crime let it go. It is sad. Will hurt the locals for sure.

wildhare54

Jul 30, 2013
oceanside
Name
paul
Boat
masterbaiter
So sad to hear ad are heading down sat for next weekend's yelloy tail tournament anyone else going down. Will definitely have my head on a swivel this year

greenscales

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 24, 2007
Monrovia
Name
Richard
Boat
Pro Angler 14
Guess none of you have ever been to America. This year how many school shooting. Today there was an active shooter at the rock n roll marathon... Unfortunate what happen but all the scenario are, its not a Mexico problem, it a societal problem.

I love Mexico, I love America..

My hope is justice is served on this incident, regardless of where it happened.

Actually most unsolved murders in the US are gang on gang. Friend or family is the largest category in most of the US. In all of the crazies shooting up schools, etc - psychology and getting off meds has been a factor - and almost everyone was looking at planting bombs, but snapped before it could happen.
But overall - violent crime and murder is down in most of US - specifically CA. And it is estimated there are more guns per capita in the SF Valley or So LA than almost anywhere. But the murder rate is higher in London, whose answer is to ban knives.
In Mexico - 2 biggest problems are cartel and shakedown by cops - targeting innocents. They have the guns and honest citizens/ex-pats don’t. Here in the US, criminals take their chances the citizens won’t be able to retaliate. However property crime is back on a quick rise, primarily by heroin users (an increasing problem in Baja as well). This started when we gutted the three strikes law.
Biggest issue - if you don’t fear the consequences, you are willing to take the risk of doing the crime.

fatoldcapt

Jun 28, 2012
Desert Hot Springs/CA/USA
Name
Aaron
Boat
none
No one caught yet. This is a post from Face Book by Mia Blanko:
Recent article from El Vigia (pre-election) regarding crime & violence in Bahia de Los Angeles & the need for assistance, solutions, & additional avenues for the young people in town to pursue...

Google / Translation of article:

The candidate for federal deputy for District 03 of the Por México al Frente coalition, Jacinto "Tito" Sánchez, during his second day of work touring south of Ensenada, will seek greater support fromfederal authorities and even from the Secretaria of National Defense (Sedena), to combat crime and violence in Bahía de los Ángeles for the hundreds of families that live there.

The candidate of the National Action Party, Party of the Democratic Revolution and Citizen Movement toured this tourist and fishing community where the main outcry of residents is for security and actions on crime prevention, so it becomes part of integral education of young generations, as well as major sports and cultural programs, in order to offer greater alternatives to the families of this division.

"As federal deputy I will manage more security, more patrols and more presence of the police forces in this area, since the rates of violence and insecurity have been increasing, as well as the people's concern," he said.

Urgent needs
Jacinto "Tito" Sánchez knows the needs of the communities settled in the southern area of the Ensenada municipality because "I lived here and here I worked here, I know what it is not to have the basic services that those who live in the urban area have."

Legislative reforms are required in depth, so that the federal government's resources reach and satisfy the urgent needs of the population, such as increased road and educational infrastructure, as well as better centers to address the health of this population located in the Sea of Cortez. .

The candidate of the PAN, PRD and Movimiento Ciudadano, exhorted the residents of Bahía de los Ángeles to vote for the coalition Por México al Frente.

smazza123

1997 Spectrum great riding skiff
Aug 29, 2014
Oceanside
Name
steve mazza
Boat
19' spectrum
The right to bear arms won't solve anything, no shortage of brutal killings here,school shootings,random murders,gang shit, domestic disputes,the list is endless. There's just a certain percentage of humans who lack whatever gene it is that keeps the majority of us from killing each other. Been happening since the caveman days. There's just fucked up people on this planet. Until we find a solution to that nowhere is absolutely safe.

smazza123

1997 Spectrum great riding skiff
Aug 29, 2014
Oceanside
Name
steve mazza
Boat
19' spectrum
FWI Was at wall mart yesterday and a guy was buying all this amo. I don't have a gun yet but am all for them. I was getting some hooks and such and at checkout he said after the first of the year all amo bought will be registered to the person who is buying it.To me its just something I heard.Still messed up though