surf launch

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 27, 2006
San Diego
Name
Rob
Boat
14 ft Livingston and 12'aluminum skiffs
I know many of the ex-pats that have built north of town have resorted to extreme measures in recent years to combat the ever increasing theft in their area of the bay. Putting up chain link security fences, building large garages to lock up boats, quads etc. and even hiring a security guard 7/24 has become the norm up there. Some have told me that had they known how things were to become (in LA bay) they wouldn't have dumped so much money into what they have built but now they have no choice but to do whatever they can to protect their investment.

An old timer baja dude once told me; "never bring anything into Mexico that doesn't have wheels under it". Those words have always stuck with me.

Last edited:

Big A's

Oct 15, 2008
San Diego/Puertocitos
Name
TD
Boat
209 Grady White Escape
Two years ago I offered to drive my 22 yr old son down to Cabo where he wanted to surf all summer long. After leaving Dago I opted to stay a Casa Diaz for the night and rented the room on the north side next to the empty dirt lot by the new launch ramp. A group of about 50 locals showed up to party in the empty lot after dark and around midnight a fight broke out after a much shouting. I woke my son and we sat on the porch to watch the melee which was sure to follow. Sure enough the fight got larger and then guns shots followed with one dude lying on the ground not 50 yards from our room. Someone loaded up the shot up guy and they drove off. About 30 mins later a local cop shows up, talks with the remaining locals and leaves and the party continued on. A bit later two more units arrive, disperse the locals and attempt to put up police tape around the empty lot in 40 mph wind. This was my son's first night staying in Baja other than Rosorito and he asks if this is normal. Talk about an uncomfortable moment. The next morning we woke up to dozens of cops with the whole area taped off while they searched for evidence I suppose. As we packed up to continue on south not one cop approached us to see if we had witnessed anything the night before. At that time I'd been retired for 5 months after 31+ years in law enforcement and all I could think of were the "Keystone Cops". Funny.

Condolences to the families. RIP

Gonna have to rethink towing my Grady to BOLA again. Place is full of dirtbags/animals

Bria renner

Zumapop
Jul 28, 2015
Malibu
Name
Zumapop
Boat
Semi-slayer Arima Sea Chaser 17.5
So, not to belittle in any way this tragedy, are me and my son the only ones still going down later this week? After my son had an email conversation with Joel Jr. this morning, we decided to continue with our plans.

Last edited:

yakdout

Professional
Jun 26, 2014
San Diego
Name
Brandon
Boat
s and hoes
I know many of the ex-pats that have built north of town have resorted to extreme measures in recent years to combat the ever increasing theft in their area of the bay. Putting up chain link security fences, building large garages to lock up boats, quads etc. and even hiring a security guard 7/24 has become the norm up there. Some have told me that had they known how things were to become (in LA bay) they wouldn't have dumped so much money into what they have built but now they have no choice but to do whatever they can to protect their investment.

An old timer baja dude once told me; "never bring anything into Mexico that doesn't have wheel under it". Those words have always stuck with me.
Wouldn’t something be easier to steal if it had a wheel under it?

apple harbor

PINCHE GUERO
Mar 18, 2007
SEAL BEACH,BAJA MALIBU MEX
Name
anthony motshagen
Boat
26skipjack liki tiki
The Cartels we're always around,Right now Jalisco new generation cartel a break off faction ,are fighting Chapo's Sinaloa cartel for Baja.The CNG used to be with Sinaloa Cartel.The CNG are bringing a whole new meaning to violence in Baja,.Now the Cartels are selling their METH in all the small townships in Baja That's why things are so messed up.Do the math if you have a population of say 1000 people and say 5% are meth addicts you have 50 thieves marching the streets at night.I've seen this change for the past 10 years.I never posted this because I knew a bunch of people would call bullshit,In the last 24 hours I've witnessed a huge swing the other way in this forum.I'm still going to the Bay OF L,A.,but my attitude changed 10 years ago for all of BAJA.I don't think Meth heads committed the murders.But if your parked off the beaten path or camping and they see things they want it can get messed up.There sick all they want is another hit.Eight years ago my friend and l arrived at Bahia Las Animas south of BOLA, we we're going to camp.There was about six Mexicans under a tarp,seasonal fishermen I spoke with them for a minute there eye's we're glazing mumbling crazy shit ,that's the day I decided no more isolated camping.I casually got the fuck out of there.

michael e. bingham

May 26, 2015
Name
Pura Vida
Boat
Pura Vida 30' Custom Panga
It takes less than 6 hours to get to la bay. From my house in Puerto san isidro, we make the trip 2 to 3 times a year , my daughters do the same , I just shut it down , no more were done , you can replace a boat , truck, fishing gear , I can't replace, my Daughters ,

Damion

Apr 19, 2014
Name
Damion
Boat
Bandito
So, not to belittle in any way this tragedy, are me and my son the only ones still going down later this week? After my son had an email conversation with Joel Jr. this morning, we decided to continue with our plans.
Maybe you and your son should consider fishing elsewhere. If it hits them in the pocketbooks, it may encourage the locals to become more engaged with an active effort and also put more pressure on the authorities.

No Cal Lou

No Cal Lou
Oct 1, 2009
Green Valley, Az
Name
Lou Salatich
Boat
none
It this isn't controlled immediately the Baja economy will very quickly turn to shit.
Wondering why they aren't doing more down there. Don't they care?
Because corruption runs so deep in all aspects of government. Plus the government cannot compete with the money the cartels have.

Reactions: pele

surf launch

Dec 27, 2006
San Diego
Name
Rob
Boat
Wouldn’t something be easier to steal if it had a wheel under it?
That saying implies; Choosing to build / invest a pile of money in a home down there and 10 (plus) years of your life creating your little slice of "Baja fishing Heaven" doesn't mean it will stay that way for long.
While staying in the many newer and safe campgrounds or hotels; motor homes, toy haulers and towed boats are driven in to camp / fish and more importantly........driven right back out returning to "el norte"

Last edited:
Reactions: yakdout

Bria renner

Zumapop
Jul 28, 2015
Malibu
Name
Zumapop
Boat
Semi-slayer Arima Sea Chaser 17.5
not sure what your'e saying on that last post

pwstriper

Sep 26, 2005
San Diego, Clairemont
Name
Mike M
Boat
In between boats.. for now PQ, NLA, SHOGUN
When was the last time you bribed an American cop for something you didn't do ? when was the last time you got a ticket in America and were "guilty until proven innocent" ? we're different here fortunately.
Classic..you think America isn't corrupt!

Reactions: dorado50

jsl

Oct 8, 2005
Ontario
Name
Scott
Boat
none
I'm still heading down with a group of 6. Leaving Thursday, fishing three days.

Scott

surf launch

Dec 27, 2006
San Diego
Name
Rob
Boat
Looks like it made State side news real quick, the pressure is on.....

Reactions: Dogman619

apogee

My name is Apogee and I am a Squidaholic
Jan 29, 2009
Bakersfield
Name
Apogee..
Boat
Boston Whaler Outrage 28 (End Game)
..........."In January, another U.S. citizen was killed in Bahía de los Angeles. Charles Crabtree was struck repeatedly with a hammer on his head and body outside his trailer in the Campo Amigo park. The 28-year-old suspect was captured, and is currently behind bars, authorities said"...........Ap

Ali

Master of Nothing
Admin
Apr 24, 2003
San Diego
Name
That Guy
Boat
31' Innovator
Horrible tragedy. Make the victims rest in peace.

This makes me sick to even think about the implications it will have on that sleepy town.

My friends down south said this is being taken VERY seriously by the Baja government and they have dispatched law enforcement and investigators from Ensenada to try and get to the bottom of this ASAP.

That said, we are headed to Gonzaga on Thursday to film and fish that zone and South.

Baja clearly isn't what it used to be, but in my opinion still safer than a lot of places.

CPV

Apr 29, 2009
Canyon Lake, CA
Name
James
Boat
25' Sportcraft
Very true Ali,

I live in Temecula and the last week there was a guy shot in Menifee and another guy (i went to school with) shot in Wildomar. There is risk anywhere we go. We love it down there in Mex, then things like this happen and it makes you question how safe it really is, but in the same breath we gloss over ALL of the local tragedy here on or off the news every day.

Makes you think, do we have some sort of false sense of security here? Why is it worse when these things happen down there, but we really don't acknowledge it here? It's all terrible, and you never want to hear this happen, but we will still be going to Mex.

Last edited: