Murder in Bay of LA

fatoldcapt

Jun 28, 2012
Desert Hot Springs/CA/USA
Name
Aaron
Boat
none
There is a post on Bahiadelosangeles.info that was just put up about the beating death of the 75 year old back on Jan 8th. A suspect has been arrested. This has NO relationship to the shooting on Sat. But it is progress. The article is from the San Diego Union Trib and was to large to copy and paste. If you are interested go to the newspapers site or see bahiadelosangeles.info facebook page.

Apr 27, 2018
Campo
Name
Coach D
Boat
None
What a tragic deal.

My family and I were down fishing in the area over the weekend with a "captain/guide" idk if you can call legit captain although he is a nice guy and helpful as he could be.
My family and I have been going to Baja since before I was born , my grandfather drove to Cabo the first year the road was open, how things have changed !!!

I'm going to talk about a subject that frankly our guide was really scared to talk about that could IMO possibly be part of this discussion.

Sorry if I butcher the name

TORTWAVA !!!!
I have pics of my brother and I standing next to 80-120lb TORTWAVA back in the day, which for good reason were outlawed to catch/keep .

The discussion with guide came up after he slowed dramatically when we were passing gill nets, out of the corner of his eye he noticed a pangs racing toward us , they came down and circled , the guide was overly respectful being around the net as I'm over the top, the looks from the guys on the other panga werent good their boat was outfitted with twin 250 Yamahas which I thought was a bit over kill for that boat was off to me .

Later I pointed out 4 big dead floating TORTWAVA... which I understand they are harvesting the bladder which are big money , the guide explained is high risk high reward and that there is a lot of bad guys out there in this so called business, IMO those type wouldn't think twice about stealing a boat to illegally fish ..
TORTWAVA!!' What a beautiful fish!!! I've hooked them before , good fighters , very distinct style of running ...

Last note ...!!!
Threat Baja as the hood/getto...
never go anywhere alone , avoid traveling at night as much as possible..

And if it doesn't feel right .. it's probably not ..

Good fishing fellas

pwstriper

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 26, 2005
San Diego, Clairemont
Name
Mike M
Boat
In between boats.. for now PQ, NLA, SHOGUN
What a tragic deal.

My family and I were down fishing in the area over the weekend with a "captain/guide" idk if you can call legit captain although he is a nice guy and helpful as he could be.
My family and I have been going to Baja since before I was born , my grandfather drove to Cabo the first year the road was open, how things have changed !!!

I'm going to talk about a subject that frankly our guide was really scared to talk about that could IMO possibly be part of this discussion.

Sorry if I butcher the name

TORTWAVA !!!!
I have pics of my brother and I standing next to 80-120lb TORTWAVA back in the day, which for good reason were outlawed to catch/keep .

The discussion with guide came up after he slowed dramatically when we were passing gill nets, out of the corner of his eye he noticed a pangs racing toward us , they came down and circled , the guide was overly respectful being around the net as I'm over the top, the looks from the guys on the other panga werent good their boat was outfitted with twin 250 Yamahas which I thought was a bit over kill for that boat was off to me .

Later I pointed out 4 big dead floating TORTWAVA... which I understand they are harvesting the bladder which are big money , the guide explained is high risk high reward and that there is a lot of bad guys out there in this so called business, IMO those type wouldn't think twice about stealing a boat to illegally fish ..
TORTWAVA!!' What a beautiful fish!!! I've hooked them before , good fighters , very distinct style of running ...

Last note ...!!!
Threat Baja as the hood/getto...
never go anywhere alone , avoid traveling at night as much as possible..

And if it doesn't feel right .. it's probably not ..

Good fishing fellas
tutuaba......

apogee

My name is Apogee and I am a Squidaholic
Jan 29, 2009
Bakersfield
Name
Apogee..
Boat
Boston Whaler Outrage 28 (End Game)
I do not go to Mexico anymore.. This crap has been going on for a while and I for one do not like being put into a situation constantly of trying to get a square deal instead of having to go through the hassal of getting close to the same treatment as any Mexican. Malo.....I don't need them...or the attitude...Ap

pwstriper

Sep 26, 2005
San Diego, Clairemont
Name
Mike M
Boat
In between boats.. for now PQ, NLA, SHOGUN
Guess none of you have ever been to America. This year how many school shooting. Today there was an active shooter at the rock n roll marathon... Unfortunate what happen but all the scenario are, its not a Mexico problem, it a societal problem.

I love Mexico, I love America..

My hope is justice is served on this incident, regardless of where it happened.

yellowklr

My Best Catch!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 22, 2003
San Diego,Ca
Name
Derek
Boat
complicated
Guess none of you have ever been to America. This year how many school shooting. Today there was an active shooter at the rock n roll marathon... Unfortunate what happen but all the scenario are, its not a Mexico problem, it a societal problem.

yes and NO
The murder rate in Mexico is Way higher than the USA

Leslie. Christensen

El Chivito
May 31, 2014
Name
Leslie. Christensen
Boat
Ponga
Pretty disturbing, the heats supposed to be on, the poachers are running around in broad daylight?

Leslie. Christensen

El Chivito
May 31, 2014
Name
Leslie. Christensen
Boat
Ponga
So ? You just dodge nets, stay quiet, or
What? Sad , even were they are legal,
I kinda want to move on when I see locals
Setting nets everywhere

Reactions: surf launch

Caseydmaze

Aug 7, 2012
Temecula
Name
Mackerel Marauder
Boat
18' Stringari Skiff
Ya there’s crime in America too. The difference for me is 911. In Mex, you cannot defend yourself properly because you cannot take proper weapons for self defense with you. So when Shit Gets Real your options are limited, pay the corrupt thieves or get murdered. And when you need help who do you call???....the local paid off cops who are so underpaid that they accept bribes or are already working for the cartels and gangs?? Ya they have your best interests. As for the medics and firemen...dont we give them or sell them all out old worn out stuff. Lord help you if youre ever in an auto accident and need to be extricated. It’s just waaaay too much of a gamble. My dad always said, “Dont take anything to Baja you cant affors to live without.” There are other places in this world to “catch fish, chill out and eat a taco.” Even if it costs a little more, i value my life and my family more than pulling on a dumb fish.

Apr 15, 2014
Name
Mr. Pants
Boat
None
RIP. This is horrible news for all parties concerned. We had an August trip planned (to stay again at Los Vientos) with our 2 boys and have just cancelled it. Can't remotely rationalize risking that level of wanton/senseless violence. We'll continue to go to Baja but will hit Loreto or the East Cape instead.

While there's no guarantee of safety anywhere (US or Mexico), BOLA feels isolated and lawless. Hopefully they can both bring the perpetrators to justice and establish some semblance of law and order. Only then will we consider coming back.

I hope the town understands how their very existence depends on the US tourist economy and they're motivated to take serious measure to improve safety.

Reactions: Dogman619

swami 805

Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
Maybe it will be a wake up call but who knows. Likely won’t do anything until the place drys up and the tourists and fishermen quite coming
Loreto had the airport shut down for a few years and tourism dried up to a trickle. Once they felt the pain of the lack of $ things changed and look at it now. Not saying BOLA needs development just likely nothing will change until the locals start going hungry
Such a sad turn of events for all involved

Reactions: Willdoggy

Azarkon

Aug 28, 2015
California
Name
Joe
Boat
N/A
I have trouble understanding the sort of sick thinking that leads to these violent and tragic conclusions.

Stealing a boat, okay, I get that, you want shit you don't deserve and aren't afraid to get caught. But then, when you do get caught, what kind of person do you have to be, to think that killing the owners is going to make it better? This didn't even look like a crime of passion, it looked like the criminals intentionally murdered the couple to set an example.

It this supposed to be a message of fear? Don't resist or we kill you? This is the sort of behavior that gives Mexico its bad name - not just greed or random acts of violence, but an active criminal culture built around terrorism.

Reactions: marlyn and Htnfool

Dogman619

Nov 6, 2012
Bahia de los Angeles. Spring Valley
Name
Chris
Boat
Sea Pro 18DC
Last edited:
Reactions: Mo Betta

surf launch

Dec 27, 2006
San Diego
Name
Rob
Boat
14 ft Livingston and 12'aluminum skiffs
I have trouble understanding the sort of sick thinking that leads to these violent and tragic conclusions.

Stealing a boat, okay, I get that, you want shit you don't deserve and aren't afraid to get caught. But then, when you do get caught, what kind of person do you have to be, to think that killing the owners is going to make it better? This didn't even look like a crime of passion, it looked like the criminals intentionally murdered the couple to set an example.

It this supposed to be a message of fear? Don't resist or we kill you? This is the sort of behavior that gives Mexico its bad name - not just greed or random acts of violence, but an active criminal culture built around terrorism.
Slain victims tell no tails , they even killed the dog. The worst of the worst sort, hard and lacking any compassion or decency.

fatoldcapt

Jun 28, 2012
Desert Hot Springs/CA/USA
Name
Aaron
Boat
none
There were several stories written about people down South having their boats stolen, Some were later found with the motor missing. The theory was that to theft was to use the boats to shuttle drugs from the mainland. An advisory suggestion was posted that all boat owners pull their boats out of the water at the end of the day. This doesn't work so well when your boat is set up to be shore or beach launched. Guess you need a big ass chain and lock on the trailer. And/or something substantial to chain it to (like bury a truck rear axle).

baaadlybent

Sep 5, 2006
Fullerton/Bahia de los Angeles
Name
Doug
Boat
26' Striper "Baaadly Bent", 21' Bayrunner Baja "Vamonos", 15' Gregor "Little Vamonos"
Several have said they plan to cancel trips to LA Bay. If you do cancel, please make it very clear to the owners of the hotels/pangas/etc. that you are cancelling because you are afraid to come here due to the recent killings. They need to know how much this is impacting business in this town and they need to insist that resources be allocated to find the guilty. Otherwise, it may fade away like the other murders that have occurred. This needs to be publicized.

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white

When was the last time you bribed an American cop for something you didn't do ? when was the last time you got a ticket in America and were "guilty until proven innocent" ? we're different here fortunately.

No Cal Lou

No Cal Lou
Oct 1, 2009
Green Valley, Az
Name
Lou Salatich
Boat
none
Food for thought. Over 100 political candidates that have spoken out against the Cartels and crime have been assassinated since the current election season has begun.