Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Alex
Boat
None
I have a Go9 and a evo 2 ..they wont network ..only the new Go12 & evo 3 will

you have to use them as stand alone .That's direct from Simrad Tech support

That is a pain in the rear. If it can receive radar, they can easily share other information. The GO9 and the older EVO2 units have the same CPU processor. Its really a decision by Navico to limit the capabilities to force you to buy the more expensive units. Its a bad decision in my opinion. The GO12 didn't allow sharing until the last firmware update.

Last edited:
Reactions: Capt Richie
Upvote 0

Capt Richie

Atlantic Custom Tackle
Aug 10, 2008
nassau NY
Name
Richie
Boat
32 albe
That is a pain in the rear. If it can receive radar, they can easily share other information. The GO9 and the older EVO2 units have the same CPU processor. Its really a decision by Navico to limit the capabilities to force you to buy the more expensive units. Its a bad decision in my opinion. The GO12 didn't allow sharing until the last firmware update.

and only with the evo 3 ..if you have an evo 2 like me SOL,,, not even with the sonar hub,,The lower price of the GO is because of no networking ..Now only with the new 12..and evo 3 ..

Upvote 0

ShadowX

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Alex
Boat
None
and only with the evo 3 ..if you have an evo 2 like me SOL,,, not even with the sonar hub,,The lower price of the GO is because of no networking ..Now only with the new 12..and evo 3 ..

I got rid of the EVO2 unit a few years ago so I can't test it out. Simrad does claim the NSS and EVO2 can be networked together to share data. However, they didn't mention what data can be shared. I recall the main difference between the EVO2 and EVO3 was a faster CPU so you can display chirp and structurescan in a split screen. They also came out with the SOL screens which are brighter in the sunlight.

Another way to network them is to use the link app to share data. You can practically share it with any android tablet device. This lets you get around without the limitations. In fact, their NEP2 hub is really a standard ethernet hub. The only difference is the connector. If I need to network my units in the future, I would just 3D print a connector adapter and use standard CAT5 connectors with a standard hub/wireless router. The EVO3 units has wifi built in, so you can get away with a standard hub.

Upvote 0

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
and only with the evo 3 ..if you have an evo 2 like me SOL,,,

EVO2 everything works over network. I have 2 and share Sonar, Sidescan, Radar and charts over ethernet.

With Dual Range Radar, I use one of the ranges on chart overlay with one unit and regular radar screen on other unit.

N2K everything shares as well.

It's the GO series that has limitations. They were made for skiffs that only have or need one display. They only added the radar capability about half way through products current lifecycle.

Upvote 0

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Alex
Boat
None
It is very telling that Simrad engineered a red light to come on when the box goes bad. Odd they would expect so many failures that a red light is considered useful.

Its not necessarily an internal issue. Someone else had a red light on the box and it turns out the yellow wire was not receiving enough power to turn on the unit. By tying the yellow and the red wire, the fault went away. It may also indicate a low voltage condition on the main line. If you have a bench power supply, test it out on the bench first. If there is no issues on the bench and a problem when you connect it to the boat, the problem is wiring or voltage. There is a lot of bad wiring on boats, especially on the ground side. Even if you have the best power connections, if your ground is crap, the electrical system will have issues.

Upvote 0

Capt Richie

Atlantic Custom Tackle
Aug 10, 2008
nassau NY
Name
Richie
Boat
32 albe
The GO units will do everything a Evo will do but network ..Unless you have a new GO12 & an evo 3 ,,they will network..

I have my radar & chrip transducer hooked up to mine ..I have side & down scan on my evo 2 both stand alone...same as my two Garmin 10 inch one older & one new..they also wont network..If you want a network buy all the same evo 3's ..

I love the simrad bottom machine & radar ..Love the garmin charts so I run both..

Upvote 0

derooster63

Almost A Member
Aug 12, 2009
Bakersfield Ca
Name
Byron DeRoos
Boat
2014 Parker 2320
I wasn't aware your GO9 units can't share sonar. However, once you get the network working, just buy a new EVO 3s unit and you will be able to share your Radar information.

Make sure you connect both the RED and YELLOW wires to the +12V as shown on first diagram below. If you prefer to use the fish finder to turn on box, you can wire per the diagram on the bottom. Its not necessary if you have a main switch that turns on all the units. If you wired it per the bottom diagram, try wiring per the top diagram. The reason is, the connection to the yellow might not be at the right voltage level or there is a problem with the connection.

View attachment 1290039

Measure the voltage and double check for corrosion on the terminal you are using for power. If you have a multimeter, check the voltage at the end of the connector per the pinout below. Measure from pin 1 to pin 4 and measure from pin 1 to pin 3. The voltage should be around 12V when engine is off and 13.8V when engine is on.

View attachment 1290040

The GO9 and GO12 unit has a network connector. The GO7 units do not. In your GO9 unit, the network connector is the yellow one that has the word "RADAR" on it.

View attachment 1290034

On your EVO3 unit, its the one with the yellow cap.

View attachment 1290037
I wired only red and black - [email protected]!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Alex
Boat
None

Hopefully, that is the main problem and everything else should work. I wasn't aware the GO9 units can't share the sonar, but I know for a fact that EVO3 units can share sonar and radar info through the network connection. Once you verify the ethernet network is working properly, you are ready for the new fish finder.

If you can fit a 12" EVO, I think you are better off with a larger screen on your main console and put the smaller EVO on the deck. The larger screen makes a huge difference in my opinion. My buddy put on a new 12" screen and he said he would never go back to the 9" screen again. It makes everything so much easier to see. I always have a HDS12 so I give him crap about his small screen before he updated. Even thought it doesn't seem like much in size, its actually about a 38% increase in viewable area.

If you are looking for a new fish finder, I highly suggest Gil (SemperFiFishing). He has the best deals and is tax free. He ships fast and is an absolute standup guy. You can ask around and everyone knows his stellar reputation. I don't get commission for recommending him. I only do it because I bought from him in the past and he has provided the best deals and is a true professional. I'm sure many have the same opinion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

derooster63

Almost A Member
Aug 12, 2009
Bakersfield Ca
Name
Byron DeRoos
Boat
2014 Parker 2320
No room for the 12" inside. The dash is pretty full.
OK NEP-2 is wired correctly now and all lights are green and blinking. Step 1 complete ... lol
When I run SETTINGS-->NETWORK-->SOURCES-->AUTO FIND ... I get the same damn list. I tried this on both units with the same results.

Thanks for all your help.

Dash1.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
Dont look for sources. That is how you select what unit provides what data.

Look at the Device List

Upvote 0

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Alex
Boat
None
Dont look for sources. That is how you select what unit provides what data.

Look at the Device List

Yep. Its in the Device List.

To check if your network is working properly, you need to check the Network, Info screen or Network, Diagnostics under UDP tab. In the network screen, it would tell you if your wifi is connected or if the ethernet connection is hooked up. The network Info should also tell you which controller is the "master" and any other machines connected using the network.

If you hooked up your Radar to the NEP2 box, you should be able to see it on the device list of each of the fish finders if the network is working properly.

Upvote 0

derooster63

Almost A Member
Aug 12, 2009
Bakersfield Ca
Name
Byron DeRoos
Boat
2014 Parker 2320
Copy that ... It was not in my device list ... But i will check again when I get home. I do not remember seeing "Master or Slave" either

Upvote 0

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Alex
Boat
None
Copy that ... It was not in my device list ... But i will check again when I get home. I do not remember seeing "Master or Slave" either

The "Master" device is mainly to assign network addresses. When you connect to your home Wifi Router, the router assigns the IP addresses. The "master" device is just performing the assignment of the dynamic IP address (usually called the DHCP server) in the ethernet network between the different units since the network does not have a router.

On the ethernet network, you need one of the units to assign IP addresses. If every box assigns an IP address, there could be duplicate IP addresses and other conflicts. Navico probably assigns one of the machines to assign the IP addresses and just calls it "Master".

Last edited:
Upvote 0