derooster63

Almost A Member
Aug 12, 2009
Bakersfield Ca
Name
Byron DeRoos
Boat
2014 Parker 2320
I have three Simrad Units, Two transducers (one thru hole, one off the back). Radar as well.

Simrad 1 GSO 9 - Only connected to power for navigation only, I'm ok with that
Simrad 2 is EVO ss It has both sonar units connected to it and power all other plugs nothing
Simrad 3 is GSO 9 with just a Radar plug that connects through another device that has the big radar plug in it and power cord

Questions?
How does Simrad 3 get sonar data?
Can Simrad 1 get sonar data?

The reason I ask is I was considering adding a 4th screen out on the deck for sonar data. Not sure how to connect it
101.jpg
103.jpg
104.jpg
110.jpg
113.jpg
114.jpg
112.jpg
113.jpg

Boat is a Parker 2320

111.jpg

Upvote 0

ShadowX

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Alex
Boat
None
The answer is: yes.

You need to network all the fish finders together with a NEP2 ethernet box and cables. It plugs into the yellow connector that you have a yellow cap over. After that, you can share all the data you want including the radar. You should plug the radar into the NEP box and its available to the other units. It also shares your GPS locations and if you have a Navionics card, the Navionics maps can be displayed on all the units.

You are limited to our ports. If you plan to add more fish finders, you may need to add more NEP boxes. If you didn't know, the ethernet connections are standard ethernet. The only difference is the Navionics yellow connector. These NEP boxes are network switches that has been designed for the salt water environment. I think you can cascade more boxes to extend it if you need, but I never tried it.

As for the transducers. you can specify whatever transducer that is connected in your settings. Instead of "This Unit" on your setting, you can switch to another unit that has the sonar plugged directly in. You will then be able to control that sonar from another unit or share the data. It is easier if you name each unit with a distinct name so that you know which unit you are selecting when you want to display information connected to a different fish finder.

The NEP2 comes with 5 ports. I think you can plug the radar into one port and the other four ports go to your units. I personally don't have that many units to make sure this will work, but it should.
1621472813171.png

If you have a sonarscan box, it provides additional ports for you to connect your radar directly to it too. No matter what, it won't be a cheap fix.

1621473521997.png

The payment for getting all this to work is a sea trial during the peak of the tuna season. :D

Last edited:
derooster63
derooster63
First, Thanks for the detailed response.
So I would first have to upgrade the GO9 XSE units to NSS units that have Ethernet ports?
or
Will the GO9 XSE bridge to other units using the NMEA 2000 port?
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

af dreamer

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Apr 16, 2007
long beach,ca
Name
tom
Boat
44 luhrs dreamer
I just replaced some NSE units with 3 EVO 3s and just removed a BSM-2 and a sonar hub.All working when removed last week along with a SS075M chirp ducer.Check if any of these will help you.Will sell cheap.Will pick them up from the Marine Electronic shop tomorrow.PM me if any interest.Tom

Upvote 0

derooster63

Almost A Member
Aug 12, 2009
Bakersfield Ca
Name
Byron DeRoos
Boat
2014 Parker 2320
I assume the GO9 XSE units cannot be bridged since there is no ethernet port. Upgrading them is not in the budget.

I am OK with leaving the GO9 on the dash as only Navigation with the Navionics card.
The other GO9 will just be Radar and back up Navigation

In order to solve my problem of having a fourth screen on the deck for sonar, I would need another NSS unit and the NEP-2 box. I then could bridge just these two together?

DASH.JPG

Upvote 0

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Alex
Boat
None
I assume the GO9 XSE units cannot be bridged since there is no ethernet port. Upgrading them is not in the budget.

I am OK with leaving the GO9 on the dash as only Navigation with the Navionics card.
The other GO9 will just be Radar and back up Navigation

In order to solve my problem of having a fourth screen on the deck for sonar, I would need another NSS unit and the NEP-2 box. I then could bridge just these two together?

View attachment 1281670

The NEP2 comes with 5 ports so you should only need one NEP2 box. 3 ports go to your fish finders and one for the radar. You have one spare port for another fish finder or sonar box.

As for the XSE, you can still connect that to the NMEA2000 backbone. You can't share maps or radar, but you can still share GPS or any other peripheral connected to the NMEA2000 backbone like engine data, etc. If you have a Simrad AutoPilot, you can control it through the XSE also since the autopilot system is connected to the NMEA2000 port. The only thing you can't share is maps, radar and sonar.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Alex
Boat
None
Think of the ethernet port as the connection to share data that requires a lot of bandwidth. Radar, Sonar, maps etc, need to be shared with the ethernet since it transmits a lot of data.

As for NMEA2000, it has a very limited bandwidth. It is mainly used to transmit engine data, autopilot command, GPS information and other data that does not require a lot of bandwidth. Information that is fed to the NMEA2000 backbone can be used by every unit that is connected to it. As for the ethernet ports, that is a separate network system for high traffic data. They are really designed as separate networks due to the data volume.

Autopilots still use NMEA2000 because N2K allows the units to set priorty to packets and the autopilot system has relatively low data rates compared to Radar or Sonar. The prioritization is one of the main reasons why autopilots use N2K. They can "take over" the network since they are at a higher priority. Ethernet systems typically don't have that prioritization system. I know some home routers have that capability using QOS (quality of service), but its not common on regular switches and requires a router system.

Because the NMEA2000 is low data rate, its not designed for the ethernet to bridge the data to the NMEA2000 backbone because it can't handle the data volume and is not designed for it. The ethernet network is actual network protocol that has layers. The NMEA2000 system is a "flat" network where everyone connected to the backbone is all in the same network. In the future, they may update the protocol to add a network stack, but it still can't handle high data volume as compared to ethernet.

NMEA2000 is designed as a simple network to allow different devices to share a relatively small amount of data. It is similar to the old school 10BASE2 network system ages ago that uses BNC connectors and terminators at the end. In the modern era, its basically a canbus network similar to what is used in cars but customized for marine environment and using its own protocols. At the physical layer, its basically the same system. The protocols and messages is what separates them apart.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

derooster63

Almost A Member
Aug 12, 2009
Bakersfield Ca
Name
Byron DeRoos
Boat
2014 Parker 2320
My company is actually a System integrator company (but PLC Based) and understand most of what you are saying. All I want is Sonar on the back deck. The knowledge you provide is very good and well taken.
from what I gather NMEA is for engine data .. I have two separate monitors for this I do not need anymore. I get that

Upvote 0

derooster63

Almost A Member
Aug 12, 2009
Bakersfield Ca
Name
Byron DeRoos
Boat
2014 Parker 2320
Oh my autopilot is raymarine and it sucks so far, It works ... but make huge S turns Only tried it at trolling speeds A topic for another day

Upvote 0

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Alex
Boat
None
Oh my autopilot is raymarine and it sucks so far, It works ... but make huge S turns Only tried it at trolling speeds A topic for another day

LOL. At least you have an autopilot, so its better than nothing. I know if you integrate your units with the NEP2, you will be happy. It makes using the fish finder units much easier when its networked.

Upvote 0

derooster63

Almost A Member
Aug 12, 2009
Bakersfield Ca
Name
Byron DeRoos
Boat
2014 Parker 2320
LOL. At least you have an autopilot, so its better than nothing. I know if you integrate your units with the NEP2, you will be happy. It makes using the fish finder units much easier when its networked.

OK so I got the NEP-2 and installed and powered it. I ran two cables one to the inside cabin EVO3 (with both Transducers plugged in) and one to the EVO3 on the rear deck. I could not get the rear deck to show any Echo information. It seemed like it found them but no data was being displayed. If I turned off the transducers in the Echo setting on the deck unit it would show NO INPUT, so I think it found them. I even tried plugging in the radar to the NEP2 and I could not get it to display. I searched every setting to no avail.

do I need a device to plug transducers into and then into the NEP2?

Fishing was really slow so I had lots of time .... I'm stuck
Please help

Upvote 0

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Alex
Boat
None
OK so I got the NEP-2 and installed and powered it. I ran two cables one to the inside cabin EVO3 (with both Transducers plugged in) and one to the EVO3 on the rear deck. I could not get the rear deck to show any Echo information. It seemed like it found them but no data was being displayed. If I turned off the transducers in the Echo setting on the deck unit it would show NO INPUT, so I think it found them. I even tried plugging in the radar to the NEP2 and I could not get it to display. I searched every setting to no avail.

do I need a device to plug transducers into and then into the NEP2?

Fishing was really slow so I had lots of time .... I'm stuck
Please help

The transducers are plugged directly into any of the fish finders you have. Only the radar or other devices that uses the yellow network port can be plugged into the NEP2 box directly. You can plug the transducer in, but you need a SonarHub device for that, but its not necessary.

First of all, go to your Settings -> Network -> Device List. It should list all the devices connected to your fish finder. Make sure the NEP-2, shows up.

Second, make sure you have your transducer plugged into one of your fish finders (assuming the EVO3 unit for now). Turn on that unit, and verify the transducer and sonar is working correctly on that unit. If you are on land, turn it on briefly to make sure you see traces, and turn off the unit since you don't have water to cool down the transducer. You can also run a hose over the transducer with a small amount of water to cool it down during these tests if its a transom mounted transducer.

Once you verified the transducer is working, you need to start labelling your fish finders. Go to your Settings -> Network -> Device Name. Type in a unique device name like "EVO3_Unit1".

Go to your other sonar unit (assuming GO9). Repeat the same process to check if the NEP2 box shows up in your device list and give it a unique name like "GO9_Unit1". If you have a sonar transducer attached to this unit, verify that it works. If not, go to the next step.

At this point, I'm assuming you have a transducer connected to the EVO3 unit and that its working. This EVO3 is connected to the NEP2 box and the unit is able to detect it. On the GSO9 unit, you have no transducers and you are able to detect that its connected to the NEP2 box.

On the GO9 unit:
Go to your Setting -> Sonar -> Installation -> Source
The default value you should see is "this unit" for the source. This tells you the GO9 unit is reading the data from the current fish finder. What you need to do is click on this box and a selection menu should pop up if you connected your network properly. You should now be able to see "this unit" and "EVO3_Unit1" on it. Pick the EVO3_Unit1 on the list. (Note my fish finder is not networked so the next steps may be slightly different). You should be able to to pick the transducer model that is shown on the EVO3 unit.

At this point the GO9 unit should be using the sonar information from your EVO3 unit. If you have other units, you need to repeat the same process to make sure its connected to the NEP2 box and pick the sonar from the unit where the plug is directly connected to that box. You can name the other unit "GO9_Unit2", etc.

As for the radar, the process is similar. You go to the Settings -> Network -> Data Sources. At this menu, you go down the list of devices, and you can pick the source. Again, my fish finder unit is not connected to radar right now so I can't give you the exact steps. My fish finder is actually sitting in my living room so its not connected to any devices. My boat is at a remote place.

Note: Another way to know the ethernet connections are working on the NEP2 box is to plug in a Navionics map card into one of the units. When you go to the other units, you should be able to select the navionics map as an option. You should also be able to see the same waypoints on all your fish finders. The network connection allows you to share maps and waypoints seamlessly.

Reactions: derooster63
Upvote 0

derooster63

Almost A Member
Aug 12, 2009
Bakersfield Ca
Name
Byron DeRoos
Boat
2014 Parker 2320
First of all, go to your Settings -> Network -> Device List. It should list all the devices connected to your fish finder. Make sure the NEP-2, shows up.

I did Sources and auto search many times .. Both units only come up with internal devices.

It does not show NEP-2. It only has all the NSS12 devices. The NSS9 that is connected to the NEP-2 as well, does not show it either.

Bad Unit? two bad cables seems unlikely. power light is on.

The NSS9 has both transducers into and works fine.

Upvote 0

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Alex
Boat
None
I wouldn't say "bad cables", but it could be the "wrong cables".

What type of cables are you using (model number)? There are two types of cable, regular network cable and a cross over network cable.

When you are connecting to the NEP box, you need a normal network cable. Its wired such that its a direct connection.

On the cross over cables, the transmit and the receive connections are reversed. Cross over cables are used when you want to directly connect form one fish finder to another without a NEP2 box. It allows you to connect the transmit pin to the receive pin on the other unit.

However, if you use a NEP2 box, you need a normal network cable where the wires are not crossed over. In the normal network cable, the transmit is connected to transmit and the receive is connected to the receive.

One quick way to test if your cable is a crossover is to connect the cable from the EVO3 to one of your GO9 units directly (without using the NEP2 box). If you are able to see the other unit when you go to "Device List", then that means your cable is a crossover cable.

Crossover cable:

Regular (non-crossover) cable: ETHEXT-6YL

Last edited:
Upvote 0

derooster63

Almost A Member
Aug 12, 2009
Bakersfield Ca
Name
Byron DeRoos
Boat
2014 Parker 2320
SIMRAD B&G LOWRANCE ETHEXT-6YL ETHERNET CABLE 6' (000-0127-51) ++FREE SHIPPING

Manufacturer Part Number:000-0127-51Warranty:No Warranty
Brand:LOWRANCEUPC:042194533568

Manufacturer‎Lowrance
Part Number‎000-0127-30
Item Weight‎14.7 ounces
Product Dimensions‎7.7 x 6.6 x 3 inches
Item model number‎000-0127-30
Size‎25 feet
Color‎Yellow
Item Package Quantity‎1
Usage‎Personal

Upvote 0

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Alex
Boat
None
The cables seem correct, but there is only two possibilities.

1) The NEP2 box is bad
2) Simrad has limited the communications between the EVO3 vs the GO9 units. I did a little more reading and at the minimum, they can share way points.

Connect the network cable back into the NEP2 box on your fish finder. Click on the: Setting-> Network -> Info. It should also tell you if your ethernet is connected or not connected. If you are connected properly to the NEP2 box, it should say connected. If you are not connected, it should say "unavailable".

Another way to verify your network connectivity is to go to : Settings -> Network -> Diagnostics. At this point, you should see two tabs. One for NMEA2000 and one for UDP. The UDP is the tab you want to click on. It should show your ethernet IP address on the bottom. It should show "This Display" for the unit you are looking at the diagnostic screen. You may see other units listed if its networked properly. I am not networked at this moment with the fishfinder in my house, so I can't confirm if others would show up.

One of the unit should show up as the "MASTER" unit. All the IP addresses should be different. The MASTER unit should be assigning the IP address to the other units if its working properly. You can go to each unit and run the diagnostics to verify the IP addresses are different. If they are all the same IP address, the network is not working properly or there is a communications problem.

If the network is working fine, there is setting under: Setting -> Sonar. You should see option: "Network Sonar". Turn that on. You should also see another option "Network Sonar Mode". Change that to "multi-source". This allows you to share the sonar on the EVO3 unit and to select from multiple source. On the GO9 units, you need to make sure at least the "Network Sonar Mode" is on multi-source so you can pick from other networked devices. Since there is no sonar connected to them, turning on the "Network Sonar" should not make a difference. I would turn them on anyways in case you add another transducer to those boxes later on.

Make sure you have latest firmwares if you don't. Its usually not an issue if you update your firmwares consistently, but some people never update them since when they bought the machines or they all run slightly different firmwares.

Here is one experiment you can do to verify your box is working properly: Connect your radar to the box to one of the ports a shown below. I assume you are using a BR24 box to interface with your radar. Now go to the EVO3 unit that and see if you can select it as a source.

Make sure to reseat all the connectors. Unplug the connector. Push it all the way in until it stops and then turn the plastic nut until it fully seats. Before you do that, inspect the pins on the cable and connector to make sure there are no damaged or bent pins. Its more like a sanity check.

If it does not show up as a source, now un power everything down. Unplug the network connection to the EVO3, and plug the BR24 directly into the network port. If it shows up now, it has a communication issue through the NEP2 box. This is to eliminate the problem if its related with communication issues with the GO to the EVO units. You are basically talking to the radar unit as if its directly connected to the EVO3. If it doesn't work, its definitely somewhere between the cable to the NEP2 box to the radar. If you want to make sure, you can unplug all the other GO9 boxes from the network port to isolate it.

I don' t know what else to suggest. If you only want one unit to be networked, you can buy a crossover cable and connect only those two units. Since you have multiple units, its always better to have a NEP2 box so all the units can share data. Another possibility is that Simrad limits some network sharing between the GO and EVO series since the GO units have slower CPUs. Its always better to have same units even if they are different generations (EVO2/EVO3 vs GO/EVO).

1623692063360.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
My understanding....GO units can't share data over Ethernet. Ony a select few allow radar.

That's why they are cheaper then EVO units

Reactions: derooster63
Upvote 0

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Alex
Boat
None
My understanding....GO units can't share data over Ethernet. Ony a select few allow radar.

That's why they are cheaper then EVO units
The GO9 allows sharing some data over ethernet. The GO7 doesn't.

The discussion below on another site confirms that it can share navigation, sonar, and charts. The autopilot is actually shared using NMEA2000, so that was not relevant. As for radar, it should be able to share as long as the GO9 unit has radar capabilities. I mainly uses the EVO3 and HDS units and I know they can share radar and sonar info.

"This may or may not help you, as I dont have a hub or radar, but I have a go9 and a gen2 touch hds9. They are networked and share navigation, sonar, charts, autopilot. I havent tried anything else because thats all I currently use. The hds has a dedicated ethernet port and the go9 is hooked into the radar port (same yellow connector as the ethernet cable)."

On the other hand, you have some who claims that it can share radar and Sirius but not sonar. Honestly, its hard to tell because this could be changed with just a firmware update. I don't see why it can't share sonar given that it can share radar. In fact, they updated their firmware to allow sounder data to be shared on the GO12 units recently.

"All newer Go units have just one Ethernet port and only accept radar or Sirius weather inputs. Go units do not network sonar. So you will need a NEP-2 like stated above to share radar information."

The latest firmware allows sounder and chart sharing on the GO12 now. I honestly think its a marketing scheme by Navico. They are the most confusing company in terms of their product lines.

1623698904006.png

1623698798456.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0

derooster63

Almost A Member
Aug 12, 2009
Bakersfield Ca
Name
Byron DeRoos
Boat
2014 Parker 2320
The GO units do not have an ethernet port. I think I found the issue. Manual states a RED power light indicates internal fault. Mine is red.
Bad Box

Upvote 0

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Alex
Boat
None
The GO units do not have an ethernet port. I think I found the issue. Manual states a RED power light indicates internal fault. Mine is red.
Bad Box

I wasn't aware your GO9 units can't share sonar. However, once you get the network working, just buy a new EVO 3s unit and you will be able to share your Radar information.

Make sure you connect both the RED and YELLOW wires to the +12V as shown on first diagram below. If you prefer to use the fish finder to turn on box, you can wire per the diagram on the bottom. Its not necessary if you have a main switch that turns on all the units. If you wired it per the bottom diagram, try wiring per the top diagram. The reason is, the connection to the yellow might not be at the right voltage level or there is a problem with the connection.

1623770196644.png

Measure the voltage and double check for corrosion on the terminal you are using for power. If you have a multimeter, check the voltage at the end of the connector per the pinout below. Measure from pin 1 to pin 4 and measure from pin 1 to pin 3. The voltage should be around 12V when engine is off and 13.8V when engine is on.

1623770219986.png

The GO9 and GO12 unit has a network connector. The GO7 units do not. In your GO9 unit, the network connector is the yellow one that has the word "RADAR" on it.

1623769642265.png

On your EVO3 unit, its the one with the yellow cap.

1623769971246.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Capt Richie

Atlantic Custom Tackle
Aug 10, 2008
nassau NY
Name
Richie
Boat
32 albe
I have a Go9 and a evo 2 ..they wont network ..only the new Go12 & evo 3 will