Mukilteo crabber missing; his boat was found at Hat Island

Discussion in 'Washington Fishing Reports' started by digits, Dec 15, 2017.

1. wdlfbio

wdlfbio Once you go Cat, you never go back

Name:
    laurence
    Boat:
    2017 LUMACAT 28' Sport

Victim card? One of the biggest fucktard comments I've ever heard Dave. I hope t was after yoa had a few cocktails.

2. Reel Hooker

Reel Hooker I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Benjamin
    Boat:
    Parker 2320 Long Cabin 'REEL HOOKER'
    Amen brother

3. FVSerenity

FVSerenity Captain

Name:
    Rod
    Boat:
    22' Duckworth FVSerenity, 2502 Trophy FVHappyHours
    Orcas are not endangered:). Just FYI

goatram likes this.
  4. fishing fanatic

fishing fanatic Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    jason
    Boat:
    28’ almar sounder //16' lavro
    I guess that’s a matter of whether or not you buy into what our beloved government says or open your eyes to the realities.

5. goatram

goatram Notable Member Gate Keeper to the Great Northwest

Name:
    grrrrrrrr
    Boat:
    33' RBW MISS ELIZA
    Larry I to stand behind my statement. Your screaming at US to wear our PFD's solves nothing. Your father, this man, and others made a personal choice. They died doing what the hell they wanted to do. Which is to have a fun time. Your crying and yelling will not change anything. They are dead. Tragidies happen daily. Life goes on. Each time someone loses his or her or it's life the world does not stop to morn for that person. You can't force people to do what is right. They have to want it.

To get on your high bully pulpit and preach won't force any converts to your side. Fact of life. Not many have taken your challenge to get the MOB Kill SW.

I agree with Dave you are playing the card.

Good day!

6. Fog Ducker!

Fog Ducker! Misanthropical member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    4 and counting!
    You totally missed the point Jason!

Ducker!

7. wdlfbio

wdlfbio Once you go Cat, you never go back

Name:
    laurence
    Boat:
    2017 LUMACAT 28' Sport
    Sorry John. You are wrong. Many folks have come out and said they are now wearing a PFD because of what happened to Dad.

But you and others are CLEARLY not understanding what I’m saying. Think about this scenario, honestly, and then answer it here:

You’re out boating for the morning, could just as easily be hiking or hunting. You fall out of the boat or down the mountain. You die, but nobody knows. It’s 4 pm and you’re not back at the time you told your wife and kids. They start calling the authorities, search and rescue, USCG, etc.

Which outcome would you want, for your family?

1). They find your in 1-2 hours. Your family knows your dead, but at least they know and they aren’t also fighting with a false hope.

2) USCG calls up at 9pm on Day 1. It’s too dark to continue the search. They’ll start back up tomorrow. Day 2, 9pm. The phone rings. It’s USCG. Your families hearts race. USCG says no sign of you. But, they are gonna look tomorrow. Day 3, phone rings again. Same routine. You’re family’s hearts race. USCG says they’ll keep searching. Now, your family is really trying to hold onto little bits of hope. Prey there is still a chance. It’s shitty. Then, Day 4. The family knows, if onlynin the back of their minds, you’re dead. And they begin wondering if they’ll have you back for the funeral. After a few more days, they beg and pray for you to just be recovered. Now. The pray this because they’re also thinking what happens if dad’s body washes up a month from now. Imagine that pain, opening the wound completely back up.

Also, think about the resources spent under alternative 2. Is that money well spent versus alternative 1?

So, which do you prefer?

Some of use preach about the pain we cause by not wearing a PFD. While others preach about the pain of applying “PAIN-T” to an aluminum boat...

If you’re bitching about me “yelling” (using caps), then get real. I’m betting that there isn’t a capt or crew member on this board who hasn’t yelled “FOLLOWED YOUR FISH”.

But, most importantly and why you’re wrong, is that my “preaching”, as some have mentioned, has led to folks CHOOSING to wear their PFD, if for no other reason than to make sure alternative 2 doesn’t happen to the people they love.

Titan, kdubinwa, kenzmad and 3 others like this.
  8. FishPimpII

FishPimpII Dreaming about the next boat...

Name:
    Jeff Nelson
    Boat:
    Deckhand of "JuiceboxII" now that the FishpimpII is sold
    Your both right in your own way. It has felt overbearing to hear the constant reminders.
    But that’s also the point. Sometimes we need constant reminders to do the right thing (I probably wouldn’t wear my seatbelt every time if it wasn’t for that damn dinging noise over and over if I didn’t) and on a topic like this the reminders are uncomfortable to read.
    I cringe every time I read them knowing it’s the same message but to be honest they have made me more likely to wear my PFD in calm conditions.

Fireball, wdlfbio and goatram like this.
  9. JTC

JTC Too Sirius

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    24' North River O/S. SIRIUS FISHIN
    Here’s a thought
    Maybe all these opinions could be shared in a thread not directly related to someone else’s tragedy?
    All I know is I sure hope that the family of this missing boater does not read this thread!
    If you feel the need to express your opinions on wearing life jackets how about start your own thread.
    Why do we have to pile on the missing boater threads with these opinions?
    Is it possible that the family is scouring the internet searching for any information and they come across this?
    Would it be helpful or hurtful?
    I respect all opinions on this matter and just think they should be shared separate from a missing boater thread.
    Full disclosure
    I wear a non inflatable PFD from dock to dock
    Why
    Because inflatables can fail and if you have ever tried to swim in one it is near impossible.
    That is my choice for me and my family.
    It is my decision and I wouldn’t want anyone making it for me.
    I pray that this family finds peace!

KimH, sgwill122, Fireball and 3 others like this.
  10. goatram

goatram Notable Member Gate Keeper to the Great Northwest

Name:
    grrrrrrrr
    Boat:
    33' RBW MISS ELIZA
    Amended a lot but it's true. I will leave this thread.

11. FVSerenity

FVSerenity Captain

Name:
    Rod
    Boat:
    22' Duckworth FVSerenity, 2502 Trophy FVHappyHours
    I have tried swimming in an autoinflate pfd and you basically can’t, well maybe a really weak sidestroke.
    I have equal numbers of both on my boat, auto and foam filled. I would say if you are getting in the water voluntarily use the foam filled, use the auto inflate for general wear for when you might find yourself in the water unexpectedly:)

12. tacklejacked

tacklejacked Capt./ Ho if I get to drive

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    22 Hewescraft Searunner ET HT
    If you dont wear a life jacket jump from your boat and practice getting in. If your wearing a life jacket jump in and practice getting in your boat. If you wear bibs and boots jump in and practice getting in your boat.... should I continue...if you've never done it you will never know if you CAN do it.

One of the many things combat submersion training has taught me is you need to know how your body responds to the situations you could find yourself in. Do you gasp when you hit cold water...how long can you tred water for, can you back float...can you save someone that's drowning. They will fight you out of fear, what do you do....if your not prepared in everyway then simply saying i wear a life jacket is not going to cut it.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
    Odin7, FVSerenity, Killsfish and 2 others like this.
  13. BugeaterInWa

BugeaterInWa Fear the Corn

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    Boulton
    Dilly Dilly!

jasper hickman likes this.
  14. LJB

LJB Down Fur-Lined Avenue

Name:
    ain't no cunthead
    Boat:
    68 Bellboy
    I've been in the bay several times its flippin cold, 40 years back I had a Lab drowning at work in WP, I went in and it knocked the air from my lungs immediately
    had I not been able to turn and grab the dock I think/sure I would have sunk,,

FVSerenity likes this.
  15. troller w

troller w Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dennis
    Boat:
    Troller 190 Hewescraft Searunner
    Thoughts and prayers for victim and family involved

16. SalishFish

SalishFish Member

Name:
    Doug
    Boat:
    22 Skagit Orca - Max'inux
    Ok... First year with property Fidalgo Island. Went out in a Walker Bay (small 8 footer plastic crap “boat”) to pull two pots. Out near Similk bay not far from throat of Deception Pass...calm, 5 AM, fog...

Started pulling pot one...

Flipped that little boat in a split second and found myself immersed. Then....

The pop and hiss of my inflatable PFD...INFLATING!!!

There are many things which I could say about taking my boots off, swimming to shore perpendicular to current, etc. But one thing sticks with me now years later....

The feel of that PFD inflating was without a single doubt, like an orgasm...and better than any orgasm I’ve ever had. Make no mistake, my wife is a knock-out! ....but that PFD inflating allowed me a lifetime more with my wife.

I agree...where your f-n life jacket!

17. Odin7

Odin7 Odin7

Name:
    George
    Boat:
    Duckworth
    If a guy wants to fall overboard without a PFD, that is his business!

Well, except for the exceptional amount of money spent searching for him at taxpayer expense and the risk to the crews who conduct the search. Then, I guess it does become someone else's business.

Just ask the guys who went looking for Bowe Bergdahl.

We are compelled to recover everyone who goes missing. Even those who choose to end up that way.

18. Odin7

Odin7 Odin7

Name:
    George
    Boat:
    Duckworth
    Was your PFD one of those inflatable dolls by any chance? o_O

FVSerenity and SalishFish like this.
  19. SalishFish

SalishFish Member

Name:
    Doug
    Boat:
    22 Skagit Orca - Max'inux
    Worn upside down.... nahhhh

FVSerenity and Odin7 like this.
  20. TexMojoII

TexMojoII Well, Shit!

Name:
    Larry
    Boat:
    Parker 2820
    Well, shit, I have a beer to drink before I go off to bed. Everyone needs to just Shut the Fuck UP about opinions, everyone on this site and many other fishing sites always stress this, it's always a good reminder for sure and I appreciate the feelings a few of our brothers on here that have experienced significant emotional events relating to the topic. A reminder on our sites we lurk is always great, but the passionate ones need to expand their target audience. Which are not usually on this site. I Love all you guys, even though your total dicks, but we take care of each other out there, we all know when to suit up. So, in closing, you guys can suck my cock because know I got emotional and am going to have a shot of fireball, and maybe molest a cat or dog. Wife is asleep. Later Fuckers