Mu cow. . .

Discussion in 'Hawaiian Fishing Reports Forum' started by J.AkuHed, Nov 30, 2011.

1. J.AkuHed

J.AkuHed I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Your boat!
    Another fish I never seen or heard of while I lived in Hawaii is the Mu. Can you hook these fish or is the only to catch Mu is by spear? Are they a bottom fish? Can you target them or are they incidental? Can you dunk for them or stricktly by boat?
    mu.jpg

2. Smudge

Smudge Moderate

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    I'm just a deckhand...
    You can dunk for them on the boat, and from the cliffs if you're in the right spot. My neigbor in Salt Lake used to get them long time ago on the North Shore. That was before Dillingham airfield was there though!

I don't know anyone who gets them other than spearing and even then it's not easy! I only shot one in three years!! Was literally my last dive on the island and I finally got one! I shot more Ono that Mu!

3. J.AkuHed

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Your boat!
    Howzit Smudge! How come I get a reply from the haole boy squid first before I do from the local boys? Before Dillingham airfield? Dude, that is before even my time, and I'm an old fut!
    So I take it Mu is a situation fish, you gotta be in the right place at the right time. How do they eat, must be ono since they are so rare!?

Eh, you still working 1/2 day boats? Maybe I'll come down visit and get me some sculpin.

4. popoki

popoki Newbie

Name:
    Quintin
    Boat:
    "Ho'oKele" 26 Alii Kai
    there hard to catch by line because they hang mid water mostly, and usually hang in areas reefs off shore away from cliffs and beaches. I have heard of catches by hook but there rare, this I think is due to their unique teeth, which resembles that of a human. taste like shrimp crab or lobster depending on what they were eating. english name is big eye emperor fish. did I mention they're tasty......

5. J.AkuHed

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Your boat!
    Huh, the Mu looks like the CA fish that taste like lobster, Sheepshead, they got teeth like that too. Only different colors, and its related to the Wrasse or Hinalea
    [​IMG]

6. Smudge

Smudge Moderate

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    I'm just a deckhand...
    They're a type of porgy. More closely related to the east coast sheephead. And yes the are ono!! The guys I dove with shot them pretty regular but those guys are world class freedive spearfishermen. In fact, Daryl Wong has the world record for Mu. He shot it about two years ago. Of course I want on the boat that day... :(

Anyway, they are very good to eat. Whenever the boys would send me home with one I would take it to my neighbor and his wife would make sashimi with the fillets and then clear soup with the bones and head. It's very similar to Tai or Japanese Snapper. My neighbors were Japanese and they called Mu "Metai"...

7. takoman

takoman Newbie

Name:
    Donald
    Boat:
    hobie AI
    You can catch the with a'ama crab or with tako leg.

8. BNaks

BNaks Newbie

Name:
    Brandon
    Boat:
    Baby Hawk
    Smiling Mu

[​IMG]

I shoot um, really challenging. I've caught them fishing from shore. They hang around drop offs and sand pockets... Fishing wise, more of a lucky luck catch.

9. untensan

untensan Newbie

Name:
    Terry
    Boat:
    21' Seacat CC
    I've only seen 1 hooked in my lifetime, so I 'm not an expert. (No, I did not stay at a Holiday Inn last night.) We caught a lot of black crab at sunset. We broke some of the big crab in half before putting them on the hook. We had to use the Gamakatsu hooks because Mu would cut a XXX Tankichi in half. (See the molars.) We basically dropped the bait straight down on the shoreline by the rocks. The Mu supposedly patrol the shoreline at night looking for crabs. I went a couple of times and gave up because I hate pulling Keawe thorns out of my footwear after they penetrated my foot. Like the other guys said, the fish is really ono.

10. Smudge

Smudge Moderate

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    I'm just a deckhand...
    [​IMG]

So the guy on the left is Joseba Kerajeta. He is the 2007 Spearfishing world champion. The guy on the right is Daryl Wong. He holds the world record for a speared Mu. I dove for two days with Joseba back in 2010 and I dove with Daryl most every weekend that I was home from 2009-2011. Not pictured is Joe Strona another certified Mu slayer.

I watched Daryl and Joe shoot Mu for almost three years before I finally got one! LOL I suck!

11. J.AkuHed

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Your boat!
    WOW! Smudge, you can't total suck, I lived in Hawaii for 30 years and never saw a one! Didn't even know they existed until you posted it on the spearing board a couple years ago. Wassup wit dat?
    You not bad fo one haole!

12. J.AkuHed

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Your boat!
    I hear you brah, had Keawe go thru my tabis! Like I said before, took me til I moved to the mainland to even hear about Mu.
    Mahalos for posting everybody!