Mt. Baldy

Discussion in 'Surf and Snow' started by CamHat, Dec 14, 2009.

1. CamHat

CamHat Newbie

Name:
    Cameron
    Boat:
    Float Tube
    Wanted to do a quick snowboarding sesh yesterday 12/13/09. Decided to hit up Mt. Baldy. Never been there before, so I didn't really know what to expect.

Chairs 1,2,3 were open but not 4. You can only ride on chairs 2 and 3.

Was expecting some nice powder after the storm we had, but got there in the morning, and the snow was really icy. Snow got better as the day progressed.

There was not too much snow, and a lot of runs were not open. Some parts were extremely thin, and rocks and bushes were exposed that would of messed up my board pretty bad had I hit them.

Anyways, it wasn't crowded at all, and I ended up having some pretty good runs. There weren't any jumps, and only a handful of rails/boxes.

If you want a quick sesh, Baldy is alright, but I would wait till a little later in the season. I think I will stick with Mt. High/Big Bear for a while.

-Cameron
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  2. lynndeva

lynndeva Fishing mom

Name:
    Debi
    Boat:
    Wellcraft Coastal
    x2, went up there yesterday, lots of rain and rocks all the way up to the top, not worth wrecking your board for..41 was the coolest temp I got, so whatever snow was up there was now water...

3. marlyn

marlyn I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    mark
    Boat:
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    mtn high is not much further.

4. CamHat

CamHat Newbie

Name:
    Cameron
    Boat:
    Float Tube
    Yeah, I know, but I got a $50 virtual season pass for Mt. Baldy and wanted to use it.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

5. ryanm

ryanm Cracker

Name:
    ryan
    Boat:
    19,seaswirl, crackers
    Mt Baldy can be phenominal, but you have to have a good snow fall. They dont really blow any snow so what falls is what you get.

6. CamHat

CamHat Newbie

Name:
    Cameron
    Boat:
    Float Tube
    Yeah, I can see it definitely has potential. With a bunch of snow it would be great. Also, the people who work there are pretty cool.

I don't know if they had it before, but they have a 9 million gallon reservoir for snow making this year. I also saw some nice new snow makers, but none of them were on due to the weather not being cold enough.

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  7. dave_k

dave_k Member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    Whaler
    With the right conditions, Baldy is the best mountain around. If you hit it within a few days of a dump, the off trail riding is phenominal. Nowhere else is so cal has terrain that steep, and cliffs too. Granted, make sure you know what you're doing since this is all out of bounds, but I would hit this up over Mammoth on a deep powder day. Be ready to do some hiking though!

8. I hate seals

I hate seals Advertiser Advertiser

Name:
    Bryan Z
    Boat:
    36' Hatteras
    Thanks for the post. I have read lots of good things about that mountain and they currently have a $99 M-F season pass. Not bad for $100

9. CamHat

CamHat Newbie

Name:
    Cameron
    Boat:
    Float Tube
    Yea, it will be worth it after only two trips. I jumped on it early and got a no restriction $50 pass. All I have to do is reserve my spot on the mountain 1 day in advance.

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

10. Jason

Jason I break stuff @ BD Admin

Name:
    Jason
    Like everyone else said. Baldy after a huge dump is the best mountain around.
    The windlip provides lots of hits and the run down to the parking lot is good.
    Hit it on an icy day and it's down right dangerous!

It's no snowbird, baker or blackcomb.

11. middleofnowhere

middleofnowhere Gopher Killer

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    Twin Vee "MamaMia"
    My best back country run ever was on Baldy during 92/93 El Nino I think. The run had everything for my crew, long hike, getting lost in a blizzard, danger, etc.
    If this El Nino thing happens this year, Baldy will be epic. With good snow, no place else can compare, like everyone else is saying.

12. Bream

Bream Newbie

Name:
    c
    Boat:
    yes
    Baldy can be epic!!! I worked at sowbird for eleven years and Baldy is the only mountain in so-cal to go to on a powder day!! Remember to always bring you rock board because there are alot of unmarked obstacles in the way.

13. wolfman

wolfman wolfman

Name:
    larry holems
    Boat:
    9/6 longboard
    when the planets are lined up just right baldy can be fun.