Almost A Member
Mar 24, 2008
Huntington Beach
Name
John
Boat
18.5 CC
To all interested parties concerned about the Marine Life Protection Act:

The California Fisheries Coalition has launched a blog that is intended to keep everyone informed about MLPA news from around the state and also to act as a forum for fishermen and others to share their thoughts. Feel free to comment on the story postings.

Also, on an ongoing basis, we’re looking for good insight and new information on MLPA, et al, so if anyone would like to post an item, please email me. It doesn’t need to be long, even as short as a couple of sentences.

And please share this link with everyone who’d be interested: California Fisheries Coalition

Upvote 0

Royak

Jan 17, 2007
La Jolla
Name
Royak
Boat
Aluminum Skiff
....And please share this link with everyone who’d be interested: California Fisheries Coalition

Well, I checked the link and found this:
About The California Fisheries Coalition

<DL class=profile-datablock><DD class=profile-textblock>....Our objective is to see a full and balanced implementation of the MLPA. This Act seeks to protect diversity of marine life and "help sustain, conserve and protect" marine populations. </DD></DL>
Just whose side is the CFC on? What a weak, pathetic approach to fighting the political, un-scientific, anti-fishing, POS Marine Life Protection Act!

If you do some basic math, you'll discover that no matter how many MLPA meetings you go to, the good guys (fishermen) don't have the votes to over-ride the closure advocates.

Amazingly, not one single lawsuit has been filed by our "leaders" to overturn the MLPA travesty. (Sorry, attacking the funding mechanism doesn't count). It's a shame that we're not affiliated with a balsy organization like the National Rifle Association. If it was in a leadership role fighting for our fishing rights, it would have long ago "sued the bastards" rather than praising the MLPA's phony goals.

Upvote 0

wtlfsh

Dec 22, 2008
Huntington Beach/CA/USA
Name
Wendy Tochihara
Boat
20' 20X2 Triton Crossover
Hey Royak.....Before you start talking shit about CFC I'd keep reading....check out the Fisheries Information Network page on the CFC website.....scroll down....now check out who's involved with "FIN" The fishing industry, that's who!....so if FIN is doing a weak, pathetic approach to fishing the political, un-scientific, anti-fishing, POS Marine Life Protection Act! WHAT HAVE YOU DONE PERSONALLY TO HELP??? Have you been to every SCRSG meeting? How about every SAT meeting? All the BRTF meetings? Was your voice heard at any one of those the meetings? Have you put together a website to help educate the fishermen? Have gone to Sacramento to personally speak to our legislators? Have you written your elected officials? Have you donated all your spare time, taken off work and spent your own money to help any way you can?

Seems to me you have it all figured out.......why don't you take the lead, raise the funds and file your own lawsuit?

BTW, Tommy G., Dave R., Buck E., Joe E., Louie Z., Norris T., Bob F., Merit M., Mike G., Joel G., Terry M., Bob B. are just a few of the names that have been putting in countless hours trying to figure something out for you! You should be thanking them/us and be happy that there are people out there doing their best for all of us.

Those involved in this process include:
CFC = California Fisheries Coalition
ASA = American Sportfishing Association
RFA = Recreational Fishing Alliance
FIN = Fisheries Information Network
PSO = Partnership for Sustainable Oceans
UASC = United Angler of Southern California

Not to mention fishing clubs and other organiztions

Upvote 0

cowcatcher2

AKA linglover
Jan 10, 2006
SFV
www.cafisheriescoalition.org
Name
Joel Greenberg
Boat
CPFVs & OPBs

<DL class=profile-datablock><DD class=profile-textblock>....Our objective is to see a full and balanced implementation of the MLPA. This Act seeks to protect diversity of marine life and "help sustain, conserve and protect" marine populations. </DD></DL>
Just whose side is the CFC on? What a weak, pathetic approach to fighting the political, un-scientific, anti-fishing, POS Marine Life Protection Act!

If you do some basic math, you'll discover that no matter how many MLPA meetings you go to, the good guys (fishermen) don't have the votes to over-ride the closure advocates.

Amazingly, not one single lawsuit has been filed by our "leaders" to overturn the MLPA travesty. (Sorry, attacking the funding mechanism doesn't count). It's a shame that we're not affiliated with a balsy organization like the National Rifle Association. If it was in a leadership role fighting for our fishing rights, it would have long ago "sued the bastards" rather than praising the MLPA's phony goals.

It doesn't go unnoticed by a lot of us folks that when round two of the MLPA legislation came before then new Governor, Gray Davis, you were a lone voice in the wilderness who continued the battle after all the fishing orgs in opposition thought they had won when Gov. Wilson vetoed the darn thing.

The simple truth is, regardless of the bad beatings we have taken so far, we do have the votes and the clout to corral the pro-closure advocates.

If the CFC is as weak as you suggest, we are doomed.

Please don't give up on us.

-Joel
RFA Socal

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Demon Cleaner

Jul 28, 2008
Menifee
Name
Jeff
Boat
18' Bayliner, Kayak

Hey Royak, just did the math and your wrong. Quit bitching and get on the bus. Closures will happen. Let's fight for areas not to stop an act that has already passed. This won't go away. You have favorite spots? Fight for them.

Upvote 0

BigJoe

No fish in O'side
Dec 6, 2005
Vista
Name
Joe
Boat
26', Striper, Wage Burner
Have you been to every SCRSG meeting? How about every SAT meeting? All the BRTF meetings? Was your voice heard at any one of those the meetings? Have you put together a website to help educate the fishermen? Have you written your elected officials? Have you donated all your spare time, taken off work and spent your own money to help any way you can?

BTW, Tommy G., Dave R., Buck E., Joe E., Louie Z., Norris T., Bob F., Merit M., Mike G., Joel G., Terry M., Bob B. are just a few of the names that have been putting in countless hours trying to figure something out for you! You should be thanking them/us and be happy that there are people out there doing their best for all of us.

I have had the pleasure of working with many of these fine individuals mentioned and believe me when I tell you they are doing everything listed above and more. What we really need is encouragement for any individual or group interested in the local ocean resource that is making the effort to see that fishing is not something we used to do in California state waters.

Please keep informed and get involved.

Joe E.
FIN committee member

Upvote 0

rojodiablo

Dive club flunkie
Jul 22, 2005
Santa Ana Ca.
Name
Paul Romanowski
Boat
Sold the boat; running the rubber ducky! (Inflatable)

Man, I am doing all I can, and then some. Please don't go bashing us when we are tossing so much of our time (UNPAID) at this process on behalf of our friends and kids. If you have a magic bullet, I have plenty of guns. Tell me how to kill this bear, and I will- plain and simple.

Upvote 0

M/V Santa Rosa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Apr 17, 2006
san diego
Name
Tommy
Boat
20 foot bayrunner
UNPAID is right,,

I,m about ready to head butt a fillet knife

Lets see stolen trailer
Threating phone calls
Slashed tires
70 to 75 emails daily
PMs aking the same question

Oh man, this is a hell of a ride..

Upvote 0

Glyn

The Happy Fisherman
Jun 19, 2005
La Mirada
Name
Glyn
Boat
Parker 2120 Pilothouse
UNPAID is right,,

I,m about ready to head butt a fillet knife

Lets see stolen trailer
Threating phone calls
Slashed tires
70 to 75 emails daily
PMs aking the same question

Oh man, this is a hell of a ride..

Oh my god, that sucks. I'm sorry to hear about all of your troubles. We need you, don't give up, and thank you.

Upvote 0

aeon

ugh....
Apr 11, 2006
foothill ranch
Name
Bill
Boat
/600hp ls3 powered Airboat
Thanks Tommy and thanks to everyone who is fighting.

I understand the frustration some of us feel. I attended one of the Laguna Blue belt meetings and to just be in the same room with people who HATE us was hard. There is a feeling that we have lost the war and that it's just a matter of how much they take now.

Question... is Money needed and to what group should we give? Not that i have any to give but if i knock over a 7/11 or something maybe i can :)

Bill Wright

Upvote 0

Royak

Jan 17, 2007
La Jolla
Name
Royak
Boat
Aluminum Skiff
Man, I am doing all I can, and then some. Please don't go bashing us when we are tossing so much of our time (UNPAID) at this process on behalf of our friends and kids. If you have a magic bullet, I have plenty of guns. Tell me how to kill this bear, and I will- plain and simple.[/quote]

No personal bashing at all. I merely said the CFC's stated objective of seeking a "full and balanced implementation of the MLPA" is weak and pathetic.

A lawsuit isn't a magic bullet, but it's certainly more attention-getting than the BB guns (e.g., writing letters) being used now. One of the advantages many enviro-extremists have is too much time on their hands. While fishermen are working the "enviros" can, for example, lurk on fishing blogs and advocate against pro-fishing strategies such as filing a serious lawsuit against the MLPA. Not you, of course, but there's gotta be some.

A writer for the San Diego Union-Tribune touches on the infiltrator issue here (note -- he's not talking about salad when he uses the term "environmental plants"):

MLPA North Central Coast Region may be delayed
By Ed Zieralski
March 5, 2009

[Excerpt] <FONT color=#333333>&#8230;.All this set off the two environmentalists at the meeting &#8211; Karen Garrison of the Natural Resources Defense Council and Samantha Murray of The Ocean Conservancy.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
P><P><FONT face=Arial><FONT size=2><I><FONT color=
http://www3.signonsandiego.com/weblogs/san-diego-outdoors-blog/2009/mar/05/mlpa-north-coast-region-may-be-delayed/

<o:p></o:p>

<DL class=profile-datablock><DD class=profile-textblock></DD></DL>

Last edited:
Upvote 0