Moving to Marina - Keeping My Ride Out Of The Salt Options?

Discussion in 'Hawaii Fishing Reports' started by Blesum, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Blesum

Blesum Newbie

Name:
    Paul
    Boat:
    Yamaha FXHO
    In the process of moving to the Hawaii Kai Marina area and trying to figure out how to protect my Yamaha FXHO PWC from the elements/salt water.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It will be parked behind my house on the water. Costco sells the Hydroport2 Docking Platform for $1,699. Good God! $$$ They won't ship it to Hawaii though.

[​IMG]

Besides I hope to sell the PWC and buy a self-bailing walk-around 15-17' boat like a Whaler this spring, so something that I can expand to fit boat would be sweet. This thing can't be upgraded/expanded.

Somebody recommended the "Jet Dock" system, and after reading about it... Seems to be quite popular and highly recommended but the cost is staggering. I'm looking at 3k in the end for the PWC, and then another 3-4k when want to expand it to take on a boat. That's how much money I expect to have to spend on the dang boat itself after selling the PWC.
    [​IMG]

Checking www.hawaiikaimarina.com reveals a dealer for "Aqua Docks" which seems to be a cheap knock-off of the jet dock without the fancy rollers or winch. $70 per pontoon block. Estimates it would cost $1250 for a PWC.

[​IMG]

Then when I upgrade to a boat,, I assume I will need to add two rows on the sides and at least two, if not three more rows up front. So 20 more blocks at $70 each = $1,400 more for a total of about $2,700.

What do you guys think? Is there a better/cheaper alternative out there? I've been watching Craigslist too with nothing popping up. I also searched on Ebay last week and found much better prices, but nobody will ship to Hawaii. Besides shipping would probably be murder.

How bad is it going to be to have the PWC sit in the water until I save up enough to start buying the pieces? I will most likely use the PWC 1-3 times a week so it won't be completely idle. Should I still flush the motor with fresh water after each use while it sits in the water or is that completely pointless? Anything else I should do, or be aware of?

-Paul

2. getoffmyback

getoffmyback Let the beatings begin...

Name:
    Craven Morehead
    Boat:
    Yours !... when are we going ?
    sell the PWC now and nevermind dumping money into a lift that you'll NEVER get back.... go get a real boat when your ready

3. beauchat

beauchat Newbie

Name:
    Russ
    Boat:
    17 Radon
    I dont own one but a PWC seems small enough to where it wouldnt be much of a hassle to tow it and launch at the pier. Save your money for a boat boat.

4. popoki

popoki Newbie

Name:
    Quintin
    Boat:
    "Ho'oKele" 26 Alii Kai
    I would flush it after every use. it may seem futile but it be worjt it even if it sits in the water. as for the growth (algea and such) I use a white 3m pad (Ace has em they're more of a polishing pad so it won't scratch the bottom) to clean off any slime or algea growth.

5. Pupule

Pupule Member

Name:
    Todd
    Boat:
    22 ft Islander
  6. jagerhunchback

jagerhunchback MCLMM

sometimes oahu.....mostly iraq occasionally afghan
    Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    25 ft powercat "Crazy Haole"
  7. jonesd055

jonesd055 Newbie

Name:
    Jonesy
    Boat:
    20', Calais, Shilelagh Law
    Don't you have to get a sticker too? I thought it was about $1000.00 a year to be able to use the private waters of Hawaii Kai Marina and their ramps with an additional fee for having a dock? Or is it an additional property tax for having a dock, might wanna' look into that if you folks purchased the property? Sorry got more questions than answers.....

Aloha,
    Jonesy

8. Blesum

Blesum Newbie

Name:
    Paul
    Boat:
    Yamaha FXHO
    What the? I meant to post this under the regular Hawaii board, not in the reports section. DOH!

Thanks for the feedback. Still haven't decided what to do. Leaving it on the trailer isn't something I want to do/deal with either. I will continue with my research.

Marina - Maybe it's expensive if one isn't an resident here. For me it's $50 per year to get a sticker if I read things right. The crappy thing is that I have to get the permit sticker for everything I put in the water including kayaks and OC1 boats... I'm also a renter, not a buyer.

-Paul

9. kaimikai

kaimikai Newbie

Name:
    hank
    Boat:
    my boat is gone....sigh...
    would it be possible to just rig your own lift?...i have alcohol in my system and ideas flow thru my head.....heres one now.....how about a small boat trailer winch mounted on a pipe in the ground and use some large(6 inch) pvc pipe as bunks that run from in the water onto land.....put your craft on the pipes and winch it up to clear the water....just a thought....good luck.......buy a boat...

10. Blesum

Blesum Newbie

Name:
    Paul
    Boat:
    Yamaha FXHO
    Bumping this thread up...

Still not able to get the Aquadocks. Guy indicated I could come over and try his out, and buy it then. I came over. He only had 4 blocks for me to look at and nothing for me to try out at all. Just pointed at his neighbor who had a PWC up on one such aquadock system. Said I could try it the next weekend when his buddy was back.

The next weekend came and guy said no, I couldn't try it out. Buddy too worried about liability apparently. Said I could just buy the aquadock, haul it home, and try it, and if it was not to my liking, he would give me a refund.

I said that was fine. Then he tells me he doesn't have the blocks due to customs at the harbor, but by next weekend for sure. That day, I hauled the PWC out and spent a few hours with my buddy scraping all the crap that started growing on it.

Today he tells me that they haven't even arrived in Hawaii yet, and that he's leaving for China until later in November.

I'm getting a little bit tired of the run-around and the price increases. The complete PWC dock set-up is advertised at $1,250 and now it's somehow grown into $1979 total as he keeps telling me I need more blocks for my PWC, and is also charging state tax.

I told him that no, I only wanted what was advertised. In the meantime, I wanted to kick this thread back up to the top again in case anybody knew of anything in the meantime. I also put up an ad today on craigslist.

Jet Docks, Floating Blocks, or Pontoons

Anybody?

-Paul

11. LarryGaddis

LarryGaddis Larry Gaddis

Name:
    Larry
    Boat:
    30" Force
    Welcome to the neighborhood! There aren't many places in Hawaii where you can throw ice and bait into your boat in the front yard and head out to sea. But the marine growth and corrosion are a constant battle. I vote with the guy who suggested that you spend your money on inventing some kind of apparatus to winch the PWC onto terra firma. My boat is 30 feet, so it isn't an option for me. Let's see, electric winch firmly anchored, rollers, sufficient space on land. It's always easy when we're advising someone else to do it, but somebody has to be first. Good luck!

12. JimmyK

JimmyK Fisherman wannabe

Name:
    JimmyK
    Boat:
    17' Seaswirl Striper CC, Krystana C.
    Paul, checkout this website:Boat Bunkers. You'd have to write to the company for pricing, hopefully this is a cheaper alternative to keeping your 'ski clean from sea growth. Tight lines...

13. Blesum

Blesum Newbie

Name:
    Paul
    Boat:
    Yamaha FXHO
    Thanks for the welcome, Larry. Glad to be part of this 'hood. [​IMG]

The winch idea might get me in trouble as I'm a renter and won't own the property that the system would be installed on. Besides it's only for a few months before I sell the PWC and go to a boat.

Looked at Boat Bunkers. I did think about making my own with some tarp and foam noodles, but it would be quite ugly and I didn't want to alienate my neighbors.

I'm hoping for something that I can expand for a boat as time goes by and I save up some more money, (modular floating blocks like the Jet Dock), or something so cheap I can just throw it out when it's time to go to a boat (4 or 6 $20 oil drums and some 2X4's)...

-Paul