I Should Upgrade My Account
Mar 24, 2008
New Smyrna Beach, FL
factorydirectmarine.com
Name
Jerry
Boat
The Moose Knuckle
Well, the Fam and I have made the full transition from Cali (born and raised) to Texas last 7 years, all the way over to the right coast of Florida (New Smyrna Beach area).

Hell yes, I’m back in the saltwater again!! Took a job as Sales Manager at a Boat Dealer in Edgewater down the street from my new beach town. So… being a sales guy, just let me know if there’s anything I can ever do for you guys if ya need a boat.

Looking to restock my Saltwater gear. What’s the word from all you tackle ho’s?

Majority of my fishing will be for reds, snook and tarpon and jacks. Will also make regular trips to the reefs and the Gulf Stream (40 mi) for shots at pelagics.

I got 200 size reels for the intercoastal and a Tranx 300 as well. That should do the trick. I’m thinking a good 30# rig would also be good. Any suggestion from you guys? Mostly a conventional guy but everyone over here uses the coffee grinder.

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Jerry, you have some excellent guides in your area. Go buy a few beers and talk with them. There will be a reason why they have the gear on their boats that they do.

As a "conventional guy" (and I was too for a lot of years) the best resource I found for the accurate dope on spinning gear was to read the alanhawk website. The guy tells it straight. Ocean spinning reels are a whole different game from your light spinners. Personally I can recommend Shimano Spheros 20000 and Fin Nor Lethal 100, both have killed pretty big tunas for me. But a good rod is critical, and I wear a belt cup to get the butt of the rod low so the rod will actually work. You can hold a conventional rod under your arm, but a spinning rod really comes into its own when you put a bend in it.

Upvote 0

Dozer217

Almost A Member
    Aug 12, 2010
    LBC
    Embrace the coffee grinder, it's actually hard to get a lot of the west coast style gear we're used to out there. If you still want to fish that i'd recommend contacting tackle stores back here in Cali.

Reactions: SouthBayKiller
    Upvote 0

marlyn

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 18, 2005
    So Cal
    Name
    mark
    Boat
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    My grandpa lived in new smyrna when i was a kid,We never went offshore but we fished speckled sea trout,small tarpon and blue crab (traps) alot inshore and had a blast.

Upvote 0

SouthBayKiller

Mar 27, 2003
    Formerly Long Beach, now Fort Lauderdale area
    Name
    Robert
    Boat
    none
    I’ve only been here in the Pompano Beach area for less than a month so I’m still getting my bearings as well.

I haven’t got much fishing in besides a little messing around at the beach and park so far. From what little I do know, outside the inter coastal it’s kite fishing for sails, deep drop for swords, fishing weed edges for mahi and trolling planers with skirted ballyhoo for wahoo and kings. Reef and wreck fishing for AJs, snapper, grouper, etc. I think a lot of west coast tactics will work out here. I have this fantasy of catching a massive AJ on a jig stick.

All the new things to learn: making your own bait, how to cast a cast net, working with wire, planers, high speed trolling for Wahoo (something I really want to try).

Reactions: kbray001
    Upvote 0

crazy cajun

Bait Hog
    Jun 14, 2008
    Carlsbad
    Name
    Sean
    Boat
    Grady White Lori Ann
    Growing up down south and having lived in FL for a whileI learned to keep a few spinning outfits on board. Keep your conventional gear but you will need some spinning gear. There are to many days that are to windy fish conventional gear all the time. It’s nice to have a setup that you can “punch” your bait/lure into the wind and not pick out a birds nest. Spinners will give you more options/opportunities.

Upvote 0

FLLR1

Almost A Member
    Jan 30, 2006
    Florida
    Name
    LT
    Boat
    Boston Whaler
    I’ve only been here in the Pompano Beach area for less than a month so I’m still getting my bearings as well.

I haven’t got much fishing in besides a little messing around at the beach and park so far. From what little I do know, outside the inter coastal it’s kite fishing for sails, deep drop for swords, fishing weed edges for mahi and trolling planers with skirted ballyhoo for wahoo and kings. Reef and wreck fishing for AJs, snapper, grouper, etc. I think a lot of west coast tactics will work out here. I have this fantasy of catching a massive AJ on a jig stick.

All the new things to learn: making your own bait, how to cast a cast net, working with wire, planers, high speed trolling for Wahoo (something I really want to try).
    SouthBay-I moved to Boca Raton abut 25 years ago from S.F. Let me know if you have any questions on fishing down here. Happy to help.

LT

Upvote 0

seriola_killer

Mar 24, 2008
    New Smyrna Beach, FL
    factorydirectmarine.com
    Name
    Jerry
    Boat
    The Moose Knuckle
    Jerry, you have some excellent guides in your area. Go buy a few beers and talk with them. There will be a reason why they have the gear on their boats that they do.

As a "conventional guy" (and I was too for a lot of years) the best resource I found for the accurate dope on spinning gear was to read the alanhawk website. The guy tells it straight. Ocean spinning reels are a whole different game from your light spinners. Personally I can recommend Shimano Spheros 20000 and Fin Nor Lethal 100, both have killed pretty big tunas for me. But a good rod is critical, and I wear a belt cup to get the butt of the rod low so the rod will actually work. You can hold a conventional rod under your arm, but a spinning rod really comes into its own when you put a bend in it.

I took a trip out with one of the guides. Super cool guy (badjujucharters.com) and he really sped up my knowledge of the area. Specific spots to fish, and how/when/where to fish them. Put me on some bull reds and jacks. Lost a tarpon, wife got a 44" red.

He asked if we want to buy some bait (croakers). They were $4 a piece, but he said he's got a reef that he gets them on for free. So we spent about 30 min and loaded up the bait tank with about 40 pieces.

Super helpful guy, and he goes the extra mile. He put me on some spots and told me to save them in my phone.

Thozguys
    Thozguys
    You must be on the east coast. All your Cali gear still works its just that the local look at you funny until you start casting. Anything you used for Calicos will work on anything here in FL.
    Break out some plastics and Salas when off shore and watch all the people freak out. Also try using ringed circle hooks and see all the confusion on what kind of hook that is...
    Reactions: FLLR1
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

seriola_killer

Mar 24, 2008
    New Smyrna Beach, FL
    factorydirectmarine.com
    Name
    Jerry
    Boat
    The Moose Knuckle
    I took a trip out with one of the guides. Super cool guy (badjujucharters.com) and he really sped up my knowledge of the area. Specific spots to fish, and how/when/where to fish them. Put me on some bull reds and jacks. Lost a tarpon, wife got a 44" red.

He asked if we want to buy some bait (croakers). They were $4 a piece, but he said he's got a reef that he gets them on for free. So we spent about 30 min and loaded up the bait tank with about 40 pieces.

Super helpful guy, and he goes the extra mile. He put me on some spots and told me to save them in my phone.

Yup, gonna represent the west coast for sure. Seeker rods, conventional reels, and some Salas, Tady's etc. Also want to break out some glide baits in the intercoastal for some snook.

Upvote 0

SouthBayKiller

Mar 27, 2003
    Formerly Long Beach, now Fort Lauderdale area
    Name
    Robert
    Boat
    none
    Yup, gonna represent the west coast for sure. Seeker rods, conventional reels, and some Salas, Tady's etc. Also want to break out some glide baits in the intercoastal for some snook.
    No one uses them out here, but halco 130s stop the boat when I used them a couple years ago. Turns out blackfin like them as much as yellowfin.

Upvote 0