Franklin Warner

Almost A Member
Sep 4, 2018
Imperial Beach, CA
Name
Franklin Warner
Boat
2019 Sea Hunt Ultra 234
Being a military family we are never in one place for too long and it makes it hard to master the fishing grounds. We are originally from Cali but haven't been into offshore fishing until now. I've been fishing the East Coast (actually the Chesapeake Bay with one pending offshore trip out of Oregon Inlet) for the past year and everyone uses planner boards and outriggers pulling 10-12 lines. Is this a thing in SoCal? Every YouTube video I have seen, people are trolling out of the rod holders pulling 3 or 4 lines, or the run and gun tossing steel into huge schools. We want to get offshore and get some tuna, mahi, yellow tail, etc. help us with some tips on what to use. I've got a 2019 Sea Hunt 234 Center Console with a 200 Yamaha. Is it worth adding outriggers or should we stick with pulling lines with poles in the rod holders? We have already been told planner boards will be useless on the West Coast, and it looks like the lures I have are also going to be useless.

Leaving the East Coast behind on May 2 and hope to arrive by May 8/9 and want to get right into fishing.

Thank everyone for the help!

Upvote 0

2Rotten

Live in Oregon/Love to Fish San Diego!
Jan 10, 2010
Junction City OR
Name
Rod Lathrop
Boat
24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"
Thank you for your service. This will depend somewhat on how you like to fish. If trolling is your thing, then outriggers will get lines out into the cleaner water. However, they are a pain if you want to fish the slide much, and try to get a bait or jig stop going off your troll hit.

Reactions: Geo-Fish
Upvote 0

chxh8me

Anchovy Slayer
Jul 20, 2010
Thousand Oaks
Name
Mike
Boat
21' Whaler Walkaround
If you want to troll, I suggest getting yourself a pair of outrodders (they hold your rods out to the sides):
images

Run one outrodder off port and one off starboard. Then run two rods off your stern using your existing rod holders. That way you can run four lines fairly spread out. That’s what I do when I troll. But I hate trolling, so they don’t come out much.

I’m sure outriggers are great and all, but for west coast fishing, maybe use that outrigger money to buy a nice set of binoculars (gyroscopes or techno stabis), assuming you don’t have some. These will be ideal for spotting birds and kelp paddies for run and gun fishing for yt/tuna/dorado. Which is much more fun than trolling.

Thank you for your service.

Last edited:
Reactions: Geo-Fish
Upvote 0

Franklin Warner

Almost A Member
Sep 4, 2018
Imperial Beach, CA
Name
Franklin Warner
Boat
2019 Sea Hunt Ultra 234
Thanks for the replies. I didnt mean to misrepresent. My wife is the service member, I'm just here to support her. Sounds like I can get away with running four lines trolling in my existing rod holders without having to go the outrigger route. I cant wait to get outthere and give it a go. I saw the bait barges on the Local Knowledge show and had no idea they existed. How much is live bait running? Unfortunately, my baitwell leaves much to be desired. Its tiny... I may be able to turn a current insulated onboard cooler into another baitwell.

Upvote 0

sealskinner

Retired Pimp
Nov 28, 2003
in the Hood
Name
Mike
Boat
Franks ho
Thanks for the replies. I didnt mean to misrepresent. My wife is the service member, I'm just here to support her. Sounds like I can get away with running four lines trolling in my existing rod holders without having to go the outrigger route. I cant wait to get outthere and give it a go. I saw the bait barges on the Local Knowledge show and had no idea they existed. How much is live bait running? Unfortunately, my baitwell leaves much to be desired. Its tiny... I may be able to turn a current insulated onboard cooler into another baitwell.
No worries Franklin.
When she's gone, you're taking care of business.
I came from a military family. No shame in the support.

Upvote 0

Dave Hansen

Yoursaltwaterguide.com
Advertiser
May 26, 2007
Where ever fish need to be caught.
Name
Www.yoursaltwaterguide.com
Boat
YOUR BOAT. ANY WHERE, ANYTIME
Being a military family we are never in one place for too long and it makes it hard to master the fishing grounds. We are originally from Cali but haven't been into offshore fishing until now. I've been fishing the East Coast (actually the Chesapeake Bay with one pending offshore trip out of Oregon Inlet) for the past year and everyone uses planner boards and outriggers pulling 10-12 lines. Is this a thing in SoCal? Every YouTube video I have seen, people are trolling out of the rod holders pulling 3 or 4 lines, or the run and gun tossing steel into huge schools. We want to get offshore and get some tuna, mahi, yellow tail, etc. help us with some tips on what to use. I've got a 2019 Sea Hunt 234 Center Console with a 200 Yamaha. Is it worth adding outriggers or should we stick with pulling lines with poles in the rod holders? We have already been told planner boards will be useless on the West Coast, and it looks like the lures I have are also going to be useless.

Leaving the East Coast behind on May 2 and hope to arrive by May 8/9 and want to get right into fishing.

Thank everyone for the help!
Let me Help you I will give u a free membership to my website and you will be fine.Thank you for your service ...I send you a PM...

Upvote 0

One_Leg

Ret. Comm. Diver Medic
May 11, 2007
You're mined!
www.csicop.org
Name
Alan
Boat
1967 Cobia Cuddy Cabin/Evinrude Looper
I look forward to seeing some pics along with your report in the future.
Dave has a great site and you can learn lot there.
Going offshore and catching all those species you mentioned takes knowledge, skills and time on the water.

Your families sacrifice is appreciated by me very much. Thank you.

Upvote 0

Franklin Warner

Almost A Member
Sep 4, 2018
Imperial Beach, CA
Name
Franklin Warner
Boat
2019 Sea Hunt Ultra 234
Wow! Thank you very much. I look forward to checking out the site. I'll be sure to keep everyone in the loop on our progress. We hope to take some people out to pick their brains and of course says thanks for all the great info.

Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers

well then thank you for servicing the service member!

Upvote 0

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
When do you plan on being in SoCal Frank? You could probably get a ride with a few different members to get the hang of things. That would also give you an idea on how to set up your own boat.

Upvote 0

Franklin Warner

Almost A Member
Sep 4, 2018
Imperial Beach, CA
Name
Franklin Warner
Boat
2019 Sea Hunt Ultra 234
When do you plan on being in SoCal Frank? You could probably get a ride with a few different members to get the hang of things. That would also give you an idea on how to set up your own boat.

We hope to be in SD around May 9. Pulling my boat from Maryland so I need to give myself extra time.

Reactions: Arima-bob
Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Welcome to SoCal! Your new connection with Capt. Dave Hansen will prove to be very valuable. If you can, try to arrange for him to go out with you on your boat for a day (he does that) and let him shorten your learning curve.

Bring your East Coast gear along with you when you move. A lot of it will prove to be adaptable. And while our local fishing is heavily biased towards using live bait, because we are one of the very few places in the world where baitfish are a very dependable and available option, there are a lot of SoCal boaters who do very, very well with plastic and metal lures on a regular basis. Check out reports in the California fishing forums, Southern California Inshore and Islands.

Upvote 0

Franklin Warner

Almost A Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Imperial Beach, CA
    Name
    Franklin Warner
    Boat
    2019 Sea Hunt Ultra 234
    Welcome to SoCal! Your new connection with Capt. Dave Hansen will prove to be very valuable. If you can, try to arrange for him to go out with you on your boat for a day (he does that) and let him shorten your learning curve.

Bring your East Coast gear along with you when you move. A lot of it will prove to be adaptable. And while our local fishing is heavily biased towards using live bait, because we are one of the very few places in the world where baitfish are a very dependable and available option, there are a lot of SoCal boaters who do very, very well with plastic and metal lures on a regular basis. Check out reports in the California fishing forums, Southern California Inshore and Islands.

I'll have to contact Dave when I get so SoCal and see if I can do what you suggested.

I need to take some pictures of what I got to see if any of it will be worth bringing with us. If not, I will try to sell. Of course all the rods will be fine but the soft plastics with weighted jig heads may be coast specific. I had just stocked up on lures specific to the bay I fish, only to find out a couple months later the Navy had other plans for us. We run planner boards in the bay pulling 10-12 lines which is def not a thing on the West Coast. Those will be the first to go.

I've been browsing the reports and have found a few lures that I will be purchasing here shortly. Any suggestions will be much appreciated. I am into most types of fishing as I like to change it up. Trolling, bottom, jigging, etc.

Upvote 0

SaltH20Angler

I'm not superstitious... cuz it's bad luck.
  • Aug 6, 2016
    SoCal - Corona
    Name
    Christopher
    Boat
    I know a couple guys...

A bait tank that can hold a scoop or so (preferably more) is really really valuable. Might want to consider upgrading to a better bait tank once you get settled in.

I fish on a 20' Triton with a bait tank that holds a half scoop nice but when it comes to yellowfin, it makes all the difference to chum like hell to bring em up and keep em there. It pays off if they come up but if not, we could lose half of our bait on one stop. The boats with bigger bait tanks certainly have an advantage to chum more and not run out.

The rod holders that point out to the sides (for trolling) are nice but unless you drive a straight line or use long rods for a wider spread, they can easily cross lines on 4 rods out. We tried that a couple of times and between crossing lines and snagging kelp/grass it was just too much. We have gone back to trolling 2 rods for simplicity. We still use those rod holders to get the jigs in cleaner water.

Keep a couple of planers...you might find that your east coast style works great here too.

I dont mind trolling but it sucks when you have lines out for a while only to check them to find out the lines were crossed or you are dragging kelp/grass for the past 30 mins.

Upvote 0

fishkilr

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Aug 27, 2012
    long beach,ca.u.s.a.
    Name
    alby
    Boat
    None
    I'll have to contact Dave when I get so SoCal and see if I can do what you suggested.

I need to take some pictures of what I got to see if any of it will be worth bringing with us. If not, I will try to sell. Of course all the rods will be fine but the soft plastics with weighted jig heads may be coast specific. I had just stocked up on lures specific to the bay I fish, only to find out a couple months later the Navy had other plans for us. We run planner boards in the bay pulling 10-12 lines which is def not a thing on the West Coast. Those will be the first to go.

I've been browsing the reports and have found a few lures that I will be purchasing here shortly. Any suggestions will be much appreciated. I am into most types of fishing as I like to change it up. Trolling, bottom, jigging, etc.
    6 years ago almost no one flew kites or trolled yummies or fished flat falls for tuna..
    Who knows what technique will pop up next...
    We even got a greenstick now..

Reactions: One_Leg
    Upvote 0

Franklin Warner

Almost A Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Imperial Beach, CA
    Name
    Franklin Warner
    Boat
    2019 Sea Hunt Ultra 234
    A bait tank that can hold a scoop or so (preferably more) is really really valuable. Might want to consider upgrading to a better bait tank once you get settled in.

I fish on a 20' Triton with a bait tank that holds a half scoop nice but when it comes to yellowfin, it makes all the difference to chum like hell to bring em up and keep em there. It pays off if they come up but if not, we could lose half of our bait on one stop. The boats with bigger bait tanks certainly have an advantage to chum more and not run out.

The rod holders that point out to the sides (for trolling) are nice but unless you drive a straight line or use long rods for a wider spread, they can easily cross lines on 4 rods out. We tried that a couple of times and between crossing lines and snagging kelp/grass it was just too much. We have gone back to trolling 2 rods for simplicity. We still use those rod holders to get the jigs in cleaner water.

Keep a couple of planers...you might find that your east coast style works great here too.

I dont mind trolling but it sucks when you have lines out for a while only to check them to find out the lines were crossed or you are dragging kelp/grass for the past 30 mins.

So my bait tank is tiny, only 15 gallons, and no room to add another unless I modify an insulated cooler to be a bait tank (not sure if its possible). The planners I'm using are probably not the planners you are thinking of. Mine are massive. I will bring all the lures and inline weights for sure. Hopefully the picture show up so you can see what I am working with. The one side planner pic you should be able to see the planner in the water way out to the side. The second planner pic you wont be able to see the planners but you can see the rods in the ttop and the lower rod holders running out to the planners. I think we were running 8 this day. We made multiple turns and never had a tangle. We also dont have to worry about grass or much else to tangle us up in the bay.

Planner Board.jpg one side planner.jpg trolling planners.jpg soft plastics.jpg

Upvote 0