Papa "J"

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • May 8, 2003
    OffShore
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    Grady White 272 Sailfish
    Is there a good home method to moving spectra from one reel to another.
    I have a few older reels I use for rockfishing and wanted to move the spectra to a newer reel without taking to a shop to do it for me.
    Just wondering if there is a decent method of transferring the line without putting it on too loose.

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    Use the drag or your buddies thumb on the reel the line is being removed from to apply tension.

Then crank like a bitch.

Or take the 5 minute drive from your house to Turners and pay them $10 to do it on the machine like a smart person.

Upvote 0

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
    Nov 12, 2016
    San Diego
    Name
    Gee Bee
    Boat
    Partial to AZTEC - aspiring to INTREPID
    I recall you need about 10lbs pressure winding it on packing it tightly evenly

rock fishing may have a looser standard and even repack itself on deep drop

but if fishing heavy drags for big fish like tuna - you want to get it right so it doesn't cut into itself - I send my re-packing to Squidco

Upvote 0

James Taylor

Question Everything
    Jan 7, 2019
    Cypress, Ca
    Name
    James Taylor
    Boat
    Sportboats
    I’ve used an empty reel. You can use the drag to get the braid on tight. If it is a 2 speed reel, use the low gear. When tying braid to an empty spool, Thread it under the spool 10 wraps tied off with a 10 turn san diego.

Upvote 0

Levelartist

Oct 6, 2017
    Long Beach
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    Susan
    I just put both reels on a deck hand rod and use their drag to set it up nice and tight.
    F63ADC09-990F-46C3-A2EC-949F2298B110.jpeg

Upvote 0

short-range

Independence
    Jan 3, 2010
    Thousand Oaks
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Independence
    I use my workbench
    I lay one rod on the bench I use an old belt and secure the base of the reel mounted to the rod still around my vice with a towel in between
    I then thread the spectra through the guides on both rods and get that spectra on uber tight plus I get the workout of reeling 500 yards at 10-15lb drag lol

Upvote 0