Moving from Newport OR to Eureka, Ca.....What to expect?

big dog62

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 1, 2012
nor cal USA
Name
spanky
Boat
sac-yac
Sales tax (8 1/2%- 11%), state taxes very high, and rising. Inflated DMV fees (boats, cars, toys), increased hunting, fishing lic. fees, higher property prices Highest gas prices in the country (we just beat out Hawaii, yeah!!). Overcrowding has created a more of a dog eat dog mentality down here

Other than that, about the same. :D Oh, and if you like our new president, keep it to yourself!

mike garrahan

TheSabreGuy
Sep 7, 2007
la habra hts
Name
mike garrahan
Boat
23 ft. crestliner
I would do a lot of looking around before I moved to Eureka. The city has become the homeless capital of the north coast. Arcata is almost as bad. Drugs, GTA's, home burglary, vehicle burglary, prostitution, tweekers everywhere. The liberal ex bay area hippies that run both cities are clueless. I think Arcata was the first city in California to vote to become a nuclear free zone. Look at Ferndale, McKinleyville, Trinidad. They are close by but much better places to live. My brother and all his kids went to Humboldt State and my nephew still owns a house in Arcata but he couldn't take it any longer after several 459's where they lost all of their computers, cameras and other electronics, a vehicle break in where he lost his favorite guitar, a GTA where his truck turned up in Montana 8 months later.
We have been fishing in Trinidad every summer for the last 30 years. It used to be outstanding but things have gone downhill the past 20 years. I don't think we have caught more than 2 or 3 salmon in total over the past 3 years and this year is supposed to be the worst in recent memory. I will be going up again over the 4th of July for a couple of weeks but not expecting too much in the way of fishing.

May 25, 2008
Big Blue
Name
John Stone
Boat
Weldcraft Cuddy King
I would do a lot of looking around before I moved to Eureka. The city has become the homeless capital of the north coast. Arcata is almost as bad. Drugs, GTA's, home burglary, vehicle burglary, prostitution, tweekers everywhere. The liberal ex bay area hippies that run both cities are clueless. I think Arcata was the first city in California to vote to become a nuclear free zone. Look at Ferndale, McKinleyville, Trinidad. They are close by but much better places to live. My brother and all his kids went to Humboldt State and my nephew still owns a house in Arcata but he couldn't take it any longer after several 459's where they lost all of their computers, cameras and other electronics, a vehicle break in where he lost his favorite guitar, a GTA where his truck turned up in Montana 8 months later.
We have been fishing in Trinidad every summer for the last 30 years. It used to be outstanding but things have gone downhill the past 20 years. I don't think we have caught more than 2 or 3 salmon in total over the past 3 years and this year is supposed to be the worst in recent memory. I will be going up again over the 4th of July for a couple of weeks but not expecting too much in the way of fishing.
Thanks Mike! Thats what I was looking for. I did a house buying search and am going to focus on those areas. Looks like 100k more there than here.

BiggestT

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
I was trying to be polite when I said that I never heard of people moving to Eureka. This post is more direct. Other than the beauty of the coast, Eureka really is a shithole that went to the dogs.

big dog62

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 1, 2012
nor cal USA
Name
spanky
Boat
sac-yac
WOW! Had no idea Eureka has gotten that bad. Use to spend some summer time up there years back, sad to hear things have gone down hill.

Hey, is the restaurant " Lazio's" still open? I use to drive a LONG way just to eat there, had some good eats for sure.

bmachale

Bob MacHale
Jul 8, 2007
Vista, CA
Name
Bob MacHale
Boat
SeaSwirl Striper 21 Richard M
Stay out of the forest. It belongs to the pot growers. Don't want to accidently find a grove.

What happened to CA? How could things change so fast? I guess that is what happens when you have a one party system

mike garrahan

TheSabreGuy
Sep 7, 2007
la habra hts
Name
mike garrahan
Boat
23 ft. crestliner
Lazio's restaurant has been closed for many years. England Marine is still there but the rest of the waterfront is mostly vacant buildings and empty lots full of weeds and homeless people. The Samoa Cookhouse is still open across the bay but it is nothing like it used to be in the old days. In the late 60's and early 70's the area was thriving, log trucks everywhere and the lumber mills were running double shifts. Once the logging got shut down the unemployment started and the area went into a recession that continues to this day. The entire economy depends on tourism and growing marijuana and that hasn't worked out too well for the area.

Omarkayak

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 26, 2007
Northridge, CA
Name
Bills
Boat
11+ ft, Ocean Kayak Scrambler, P 'N' Queue Pod
In addition to the other demerits, albacore usually don't come as close, either.

Good fishin'!
BDC OK

big dog62

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 1, 2012
nor cal USA
Name
spanky
Boat
sac-yac
Sad. Thanks for the update Mike, l can hear the disappointment in your words. Think I'll steer clear and just enjoy the memories

EurekaMarc

Aug 14, 2006
Eureka
Name
Marc
Boat
yes some of those
great thread......just all top notch info!! Hahaha

TJ look me up after may 1st or anyone really and I will let you know what's real and what is bullshit from the internet. I am out of phone coverage till then.

Do keep your boats and maybe also trucks and cars registered in OR if possible.

CA is a shithole run by idiots with no regard to rural living anymore, welcome. But if you gotta be in CA it ain't too bad up top, the fucked up roads keep all the sheep from the cities out. Maybe we can just trade houses haha.

Marc
707-601-3474

May 25, 2008
Big Blue
Name
John Stone
Boat
Weldcraft Cuddy King
great thread......just all top notch info!! Hahaha

TJ look me up after may 1st or anyone really and I will let you know what's real and what is bullshit from the internet. I am out of phone coverage till then.

Do keep your boats and maybe also trucks and cars registered in OR if possible.

CA is a shithole run by idiots with no regard to rural living anymore, welcome. But if you gotta be in CA it ain't too bad up top, the fucked up roads keep all the sheep from the cities out. Maybe we can just trade houses haha.

Marc
707-601-3474

Thanks Marc, will do.

brokeass boater

Well-Known "Member"
Feb 23, 2010
Norcal's Brentwood
Name
Gregg
Boat
24' Skipjack w/Pilothouse, 21' Marada, 15' Boston Whaler
Marc, I'll take the roads you guys have up that way over these shit roads in the bay area. From Marysville north its a world of difference than here and south...gregg