Mounting B175HW ducer with the fingertips of one hand?

Kman

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 7, 2003
So Cal
Name
Kurt
Boat
Robalo R180 Trailer Trash
So my Robalo’s bilge can only be accessed through an 8” port in the splashwell. Additionally, the boat is really tall, so the best you can do is lay on your side with one arm through the access hole and you can touch the hull with your fingertips.

With this in mind, I’m wondering how I’m going to install a 1KW bronze thru hull ducer. I’ve seen the videos, and mounting it is a piece of cake with two handed access—which of course I don’t have. I’m thinking of using a light and a GoPro in the bilge so I can see what that one hand is doing on an iPad the GoPro is WiFi’d to. I should be able to goop up the shaft with 4200, slide the gasket and spacer over the ducer shaft and get the “nut” started. No way in hell will I be able to use the two wrench method to tighten the ducer. I’m thinking use the large wrench on the nut and have someone under the boat hold the flange to keep it from spinning. Then somehow use the one hand to tighten the screw in the nut to lock it to the ducer shaft.

Sound doable or just get the transom mount version?

As for ducer frequency, I’m leaning towards the HW, as it seems to best fit my fishing which is mostly bass down to 120’, tuna in the first 150’ and rockfish in less than 400’. I’m a little concerned about the wide cone accurately seeing structure in deeper waters. MFD is a 12” Lowrance HDS Live which currently has a 3 in 1 ducer.

Thoughts? Anyone have the large wrench (or a 3.75” hole saw) I can borrow? I’m in Diamond Bar.

Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: Shewillbemine

benrd81

May 21, 2009
Lompoc, ca
Name
Ben
Boat
2660 Sailfish WAC Reellife
Access to mine wasn't much different and did the one hand tightning with somebody on the bottom. Has been like this for 2 years now with no problems.

aguachico

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
dry fit. dry fit. dry fit. I had two hand access top and bottom, but with an uneven surface I did a few dry fits before the installation. Maybe it's time to cut a bigger hole.

Reactions: Hustler

Kman

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 7, 2003
So Cal
Name
Kurt
Boat
Robalo R180 Trailer Trash
I had same issue. I cut it out to 12". Was the only way even with 4 hands.

Eight inch or twelve inch, either way I’m still limited to using one hand while lying over the splashwell on my side.

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
That is what I did. Had a buddy help.

It was not too bad. 12" did make a big difference.

Measure 100 times. Cut once.

jasper hickman

Team RED BEARD
Dec 23, 2014
Everett
Name
jasper
Boat
30’ Osprey
I helped a guy with a similar situation, I tapped 2, 1/4-20 holes into opposite sides of the lock ring, installed long 1/4” bolts, then used the long bolts as studs and for a spanner wrench.

grab a decent size bar of some type that spans the 2, 1/4” bolts but still allows turning access. You should be able to get enough torque to turn the lock ring with one hand that way.

remove bolts and enjoy a bad ass through hull ducer!

Keitha

Oct 2, 2013
Costa Mesa, CA
Name
KA
Boat
Grady White 232 & 18' BW Outrage
I had a bit more access room and still wish I had more...
1.jpg
5.jpg
4.jpg

got2fishsd

Jun 21, 2005
Oceanside
Name
Eric
Boat
Maritime 20d
I just installed the same transducer.
I personally would not be comfortable with just hand tight and an almost 4” hole in my hull.
I would build a custom wrench. I think once the threads start to grab you could hold the transducer from the bottom and tighten with a wrench.
I was surprised how many more turns I got with a wrench. I made one out of 1/4” flat stock aluminum.

Reactions: aguachico

SD2600

Opinions aren’t constitutional- they are earned
Apr 13, 2017
San diego
Name
Dustin
Boat
26' sea swirl
This is the one man method I used, however I found that if I tired to sinch the nut completely out of the gate the ducer wanted to rotate off of the keel indicator. So after the 5200 cured I torqued the nut down the rest of the way. If that makes sense
A floor jack and some 2x4’s are your best friend. Put light pressure on the transducer from below the trailer. Tighten the nut

aguachico

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
A floor jack and some 2x4’s are your best friend. Put light pressure on the transducer from below the trailer. Tighten the nut

I did this with my thru hull side scan. Gotta be careful with the pressure when climbing onto the boat. Worked out great. Sidescan was easier than the thru hull dead rise xducer. The deadrise would spin off center when tightening.

TunaJoe

Almost A Member
Nov 27, 2005
Ventura, CA
Name
J Dub
Boat
23' Steiger Craft Miami
I had limited access in my bilge also. Not as limited as you but I could still only reach down with one hand.
as another poster mentioned, dry fitting is critical.
I used a home made wrench for the inside of the bilge and a SeaSucker handle for the outside.
The handle worked great to hold the outside of the transducer.

E23B44C2-AA7D-4F15-8AAD-AA015D40A013.jpeg

415F69F9-F673-4F2F-8BF9-0F68C882C8E9.jpeg

B7D54418-D300-4842-A205-2403B24ED84F.jpeg

Reactions: aguachico