Motor oil in my Jigmaster?

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by Stanley, Feb 7, 2005.

1. Stanley

Stanley Pro Boat Scrubber

Name:
    Spooker
    Boat:
    24' Skipjack FB, 19.5' Glastron SE and a ScupperPro TW
    Interesting read from a UK fishing site. I've seen stranger things. One time, I came upon a bunch of trout anglers in Oregon spraying WD40 on their baits...AND THEY GOT BIT! (I'm gonna try this fly-lining for calicos).

I've got a 10' Harnell jig stick with a Jigmaster on it...I'm breaking out the 10/40 motor oil. (BTW: I have no idea what a "multiplier" is. Maybe their term for a conventional baitcaster?) Check it out.

http://www.worldseafishing.com/tackle/tuning_reels.shtml

2. Jason

Jason I break stuff @ BD Admin

Name:
    Jason
    WD40 is banned by most lakes due to it polluting...

3. Kerry.S

Kerry.S Newbie

Boat:
    Edmund Fitzgerald
    WD 40 was rumored to work due to Fish oil being on of it ingredents. But it was just rumor.
    And yes a multiplier is a conventional reel to us yanks
    Kerry

4. Blue Seas Fab

Blue Seas Fab Moderator Advertiser

Name:
    Ken
    Boat:
    23' Sea Hunt Ultra
    the heavy oil works well with heavy lures like light iron. Those guys are casting 3-6 oz pyramids with Ambassadeur 6500 size reels etc. The only issue I find with reel tuning is crossover. If I cast my mag 6500 Abu, I can cast anything with no thumb and no backlashes, then you pick up your sealine or jigmaster with the iron and WHAMMO! eagles nest time. I used to jack around with magnets and lube (did he say lube?) but now I try to have all the reels (Daiwas, Newells, Penns, Avets etc just as they are cuz Im to stupid to re-adapt my casting style to all those rigs. Also, if motor oil works, maybe we outta try bearing grease!

5. Orca

Orca シャチ, 鯱

Name:
    Don
    Boat:
    2359 Trophy, Irene Sea
    Actually a multiplier is a real with a gear ratio as opposed to the 1:1 direct drive reels some of us old timers used or if you're a Canadian still use.

6. Double Z

Double Z Newbie

Name:
    Harry S. Stamper
    Boat:
    Nope
    If I am into working on my reels a lot and I'm able to, I use the lightest oil I can for the bearings. They cast the best with light oil. The downside is the light stuff will not stay in. As for gear lube, Sta-Lube makes a great aluminum based grease for trailer bearings that will last a long time. If I remember right, it's a black and gold tube. Stay away from any grease that is lithium based. It absorbs water, turns to milk, and runs out the seals. It does not protect as well and makes a mess at the same time. This goes for bearing grease on your trailer. Check what you have. It's amazing how many of the "Marine Grade Bearing" greases use litium as a base. It's crap.

7. blowboater

blowboater Fishing with Papa

Name:
    Joel
    Boat:
    35' cheoy lee - Sold
    - thinking that is -

But, I'm not sure that I would want to put anything with aluminum in it on steel that will be immersed in salt water. You may be right about the lithium not doing well in water. But does anyone have concerns about galvanic corrosion caused by dissimilar metals? I believe that aluminum and iron don't mix well in salt H20.

No?

8. Double Z

Double Z Newbie

Name:
    Harry S. Stamper
    Boat:
    Nope
    I found the tube. It's Sta-Lube MARINE GREASE. It's a blue tube with white lettering. Base type is Aluminum Complex. I have read post's from engineers from several automotive and motorcycle makers. Some of them post on A dirtbike user group I was on for several years. Dirtbike's like boat trailers take a thrashing. The dissimilar metal issue never came up. Maybe it's the fact the Aluminum is used to suspend the lubricant or something like that. The posts about which grease and oil to use are usually about 2-3 pages and some end up with links to manufaturers websites. As long as you keep lube on the bearings, just about anything will work. This stuff will stay in longer.