O'side yakker

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 5, 2007
Oceanside, CA
Name
James
Boat
Malibu Kayak
What a great trip on The Islander! Thanks to Pete and Ron for hosting!
So much talent on this boat and I learned so much!
My buddy Wayne and I booked this trip way back in Nov. '19 when covid wasn't even on the radar.
I was lucky enough to land a decent YT on a flylined sardine on 20 lb flouro, slow trolled inshore in about 25' of 68* clear blue beautiful water on a #2 J hook. Fun on light tackle!
Thanks to Ray of the Yak Ninjas for the gaff asisst!
also hooked and released many calicos, barracuda and a few whitefish. One gentleman concentrated on rockfish and a few guys got sheepshead and halibut on the dropper loop.
One of the best days on the water that I will always remember.
The current and wind were working together for us, but the yellows seemed very finicky, they were boiling at the surface, sometimes a football field sized boil, all the guys were concentrated on them and casting live baits, swimbaits, flatfalls, surface irons, nomads, etc. They just wouldnt bite.
Crew was speculating that they must be satisfied with the vast amount of anchovy.
The Fury was working the area too, as well as a couple of private boaters, but I think the kayakers had the advantage on this day.
The sea lions were an annoyance but not overwhelming.
The landscape of the island was interesting to watch as we drifted south, there was one section of rocks that we dubbed the Screaming Skulls that was productive for calicos. We saw a couple of Bald Eagles keeping watch over us as we fished.
The inflatable skiff was zooming back and forth, serving up food, bait, beer, water, picking up your fish and getting them back to the RSW hold. Felt like room service out there on the water. Handheld vhf radios kept all of us in touch, lot's of good intel and funny group of guys kept the mood light.
The covid protocalls were followed on board, in the stateroom hallway and in the galley.
They served gourmet meals in shifts - with limited seating to keep distance.
Breakfast: eggs benedict, Lunch: chicken tacos Dinner: roast beef, broccoli, mashed potatoes and gravy. The restrooms were super clean and there were hand sanitizer bottles all over the place.
Lastly I want to thank the young crewmember (I think his name was Brody ?) who took time out to help me with my daiwa saltiga when I jammed my rod leash in between the handle and the star drag and it locked up. He grabbed a screwdriver and in 5 min had it fixed.
Also thanks to Wayne for the photos.
The level of enthusiasm and service on this boat make it one of my favorites and I can't wait to get back out there!

SAM_0524.jpg

SAM_0521.JPG

10409.jpeg

10407.jpeg

10408.jpeg

10403.jpeg

10401.jpeg

10406.jpeg

10443.jpeg

finsane

Jabroni
Oct 11, 2005
California
Name
Dennis
Boat
None
Great pics, I'm too much of a klutz to try fishing on one of those little things. My hats off to you guys that do it.

Tom123

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 31, 2020
LA
Name
Tom Furukawa
Boat
None
Room service out on the water. Pretty cool. Great pics.

NY4Reels!

Jan 11, 2009
Trabuco Canyon
Name
Glenn
Boat
Hobie ProAngler 12
What an awesome trip! It’s on my bucket list. Beautiful pics! Thanks for sharing.

RockHopperNCKA

Jan 25, 2017
Santa Rosa, CA
www.norcalkayakanglers.com
Name
Dustin
Boat
Do kayaks count?
Right on. Thanks for the report. I've been on six Islander kayak trips and they're always different and always a blast. I was super tempted to hop on this trip, but have too much going on at work right now.

Was Capt. John at the helm?

lip_ripper

May 13, 2005
San Diego
Name
Peter
Boat
2016 Sea Fox commander CC
my son got a new kayak at discount from fast lane from that trip.

O'side yakker

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 5, 2007
Oceanside, CA
Name
James
Boat
Malibu Kayak
not sure of the Cpt. name, sorry. I do remember the trainee galley chef, Chandler, he was super attentive and was whipping up snacks from time to time.
Ron and his sons were putting on a clinic for sure.
I was super impressed by the one guy who brought out the inflatable Hobie, he had that thing dialed in, and stayed out longer than most. Made me a believer.