stucktip

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 3, 2011
OG Spring Valley, currently- North Park, San Diego
Name
Gabe
Boat
Whatever
Long Story Short-since I will be working out of town for actual Mothers Day me and my mom decided to do our annual trip yesterday. 3/4day on Mission Belle, was actually there same exact trip we did last year and smashed yellowtails. Great trip with a great crew!

Short Story Long-Mom and I decided to hop on the Mission Belle for our annual Mothers Day trip. Her favorite fishing is yoyo for yellowtails but she would have to settle for bluefin today. No worries we just like being out on the water. Hopped on with a super light load, only 22 anglers! Maybe it was the weather or Cinco de Mayo but we didn't care, we'd take that light load any day.

Left the dock and loaded up on HUGE sardines and headed out to the grounds. Took forever and we didn't get past the tuna pens and actually start looking until about 10am. Weather was cloudy and cold all day but almost no swell and very little wind chop so it made for a very nice day and was not rough at all. We start looking around and get our first school. Jumpers and boils all around the boat but NO biters. Go figure. We drove around all day seeing fish almost all day. After about noon they started wanting to bite. A couple fish on each stop seemed to be the normal. The baits were kind of iffy, seeming super fired up but once pinned on and cast out they seemed to just get lazy. They trick was to just keep at it and put in your time at the rail and if you were lucky to get a hot bait it got bit.

Moms and I definitely put in our time and were rewarded. We caught more tuna than we could handle and even handed a couple off. On our last fish we decided to switch off a few times so we could say "WE" caught this fish together. It was awesome! A few of us caught most, and most caught few. Not sure what the final count was (at least 20) but we did well. Got back later than expected (7:30) but well worth it. These were moms first bluefin and definitely noticed the fight they put up.

All in it was a great trip for the boat and epic for us. These Mothers Day trips always seem to end up awesome. The captain and crew of the Mission Belle are top notch and looking forward to riding with them many more times in the future.

All but one fish was caught on live bait. Only one fish was caught on the flat fall. Fish ranged from 20-40lbs, no big boys but the one mom and I tag teamed came in at 42lbs just now at 5 Star.

Oh one last thing, if anybody has doubts about who can and can't fish, moms is 66yrs old so get your ass out there and get 'em!

IMG_9804.jpg
IMG_9814.PNG
IMG_9815.jpg
IMG_9816.jpg
IMG_9818.PNG
IMG_9803.jpg

RideHPD

Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie
Aug 14, 2016
Del Mar/Marina Del Rey, CA
Name
Eric Marin
Boat
10' Model T
The baits were kind of iffy, seeming super fired up but once pinned on and cast out they seemed to just get lazy. They trick was to just keep at it and put in your time at the rail and if you were lucky to get a hot bait it got bit.
That is exactly what it seemed like the last time around, back at the end of March. A bait would take off for a little bit, then stall. Backpeddle him a bit, and he'd run off another few yards and stop. Repeat or bring it in. I could just not get one to really run, and it definitely hurt. Didn't help I fished iron most of the trip and they just would not bite it.

Glad you and your mom got em good! Really love the Belle, Karen is one of the most awesome deckhands around.

stucktip

Oct 3, 2011
Name
Gabe
Boat
Whatever
That is exactly what it seemed like the last time around, back at the end of March. A bait would take off for a little bit, then stall. Backpeddle him a bit, and he'd run off another few yards and stop. Repeat or bring it in. I could just not get one to really run, and it definitely hurt. Didn't help I fished iron most of the trip and they just would not bite it.

Glad you and your mom got em good! Really love the Belle, Karen is one of the most awesome deckhands around.

yeah you just had to be lucky and get a bait that wanted to w\swim....aka put in your time. It was very frustrating at times...

beerman1

Jul 14, 2014
OC
Name
eric
Boat
triumph 17 CC
Great report man...I'm jealous you have a mom who loves to fish..awesome!

Slater

cuss on Monday,pray on Sunday,dream about one day
Jun 1, 2006
Lakeside
Name
Rob
Boat
sold! / cattle boat
I was gonna say, good on moms for making you leave the pink shorts at home...
But appears you have them on...:D

SaltH20Angler

I'm not superstitious... cuz it's bad luck.
Aug 6, 2016
SoCal - Corona
Name
Christopher
Boat
I know a couple guys...
Great post bro. Sure wish I could do something like that with my Mom. You are super fortunate. I'm sure you already know. Congrats man!!

cbadcrew

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 1, 2008
carlsbad ca
Name
joeb1
Boat
2520 PKR The Slaughterhouse
You know you've been fishing long when you have to "settle" for blue fin tuna.....
Nice job
Missin my fishin mom

Reactions: stucktip

muledeer07

Jun 30, 2008
USA
Name
Wade
Boat
None
Great report can't forget about our moms. Very happy for you that this is how your mom wants to spend her time with you. Very special.

Reactions: Hardcor

surfgoose

active geezer
Jul 29, 2010
Long Beach, CA, USA
Name
Gary
Boat
whichever has the longest bunk
Loved the report! I see in a couple of pictures that your mom is using a spinning reel, and not a big huge one. Obviously worked fine. What is her rig?

ror_sal

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"
Nov 6, 2011
San Diego
Name
Rory
Boat
fish and chicks
Best report of the year so far! Thanks for the write up. Good stuff

stucktip

Oct 3, 2011
Name
Gabe
Boat
Whatever
Loved the report! I see in a couple of pictures that your mom is using a spinning reel, and not a big huge one. Obviously worked fine. What is her rig?
Custom old fenwick rod built by my uncle about 30yrs ago and a penn 550ss. Yeah old school setup. It was her sisters rig back in the day and moms inherited it when she passed away.