Most Durable Low Profile Reel for Shallow Water Rockfishing?

Feb 5, 2019
Long Beach, CA
Name
Motorcycle Marvin
Boat
Inflatable SeaHawk 2 seater
Stopped by Sav On Tackle yesterday and also looking for a new reel. Trying to set up a rockfishing pole, and was recommended the Shimano Tekota 600hga. Suppose to be a great reel and can handle some good depth and pulling your catch up fairly quickly.

PL_Bill

Well-Known "Member"
Oct 13, 2006
Carlsbad
Name
Eric
Boat
28, Albin TE
The Lexa 300 and 400 are excellent reels and very durable. I've used a 400 for rock cod at 400' and it made catching a lot more fun. Loaded with spectra and your all set. I use the 400 for surface iron as well. The 300 is a bit smaller and better at casting the lighter stuff.

johndtuttle

Angler/Client
Mar 20, 2008
Carmel, CA
Name
john
Boat
not crazy enough yet
Komodo is class of the bunch for toughness, imo, with the Lexa HD a close second.

Revo Beast for all day casting. Tranx are over priced for sure.

You do have to maintain them all or come to grief.

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
Komodo is class of the bunch for toughness, imo, with the Lexa HD a close second.

Revo Beast for all day casting. Tranx are over priced for sure.

You do have to maintain them all or come to grief.
Tranx 400 ,is worth the money .

Composite

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Nov 18, 2015
Pittsburgh
Name
Nick
Boat
None
In what quantifiable regard?

Especially if other reels perform just as well or better, are just as durable or more durable (especially in the case of the Komodo), and cost less.

If you just prefer Shimanos over all else, then I guess you would naturally want to justify the money you spent on a Tranx 400 (which lacks the line capacity, main gear size, high grade contruction materials, drag power, etc... of a Lexa 400HD or Komodo 471.

My Komodo 471 can do 30lbs of drag (slightly more actually) and has a stainless steel spool shaft, pinion gear, 45mm main gear, and handle shaft. What does your Tranx have?

Oh yeah! It has a main gear that fits snuggly inside the Komodo's main gear!

It looks so cute all snuggled inside that 471SS's stainless steel monstrosity of a main gear, doesn't it?

20180207_140723.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: ol' salt

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
In what quantifiable regard?

Especially if other reels perform just as well or better, are just as durable or more durable (especially in the case of the Komodo), and cost less.

If you just prefer Shimanos over all else, then I guess you would naturally want to justify the money you spent on a Tranx 400 (which lacks the line capacity, main gear size, high grade contruction materials, drag power, etc... of a Lexa 400HD or Komodo 471.

My Komodo 471 can do 30lbs of drag (slightly more actually) and has a stainless steel spool shaft, pinion gear, 45mm main gear, and handle shaft. What does your Tranx have?

Oh yeah! It has a main gear that fits snuggly inside the Komodo's main gear!

It looks so cute all snuggled inside that 471SS's stainless steel monstrosity of a main gear, doesn't it?

View attachment 999282
The reason I said that, is because mine has been working great,
and I have their number one rated repair place just down the road from
me in Irvine, that has taken care of me for years.

Heartoak

Jun 13, 2018
Coto
Name
Jeff
Boat
none
Was on a sport boat this summer and ended up comparing notes on small baitcasters. He was fishing with Tranx 300 and 400 size reels and wanted to try my Komodos. I agreed but asked him why. Turns out the smaller Tranx reels did not hold up well to corrosion like their bigger brother. He had had a lot of issues especially with the levelwind mechanisms. He and his sons had at least 4 0r 5 of these reels and all showed signs salt water intrusion. He had nice gear and it looked like everything was being taken care of properly. After using my reels for a few minutes it sounded like he was going to switch over to komodos.
Jeff

johndtuttle

Angler/Client
Mar 20, 2008
Carmel, CA
Name
john
Boat
not crazy enough yet
No worries as tranx is a fine reel for sure used within its limits.

But that SS gear of the Komodos will last as long as 4 tranx gears pushed hard. Or something like that anyways as it is hard to strictly quantify. Regardless the Komodo gearing is vastly tougher and an amazing value.

Wahoo burn up a lot of tranx gears..

Last edited:

makairaa

May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft

But that SS gear of the Komodos will last as long as 4 tranx gears pushed hard. Or something like that anyways as it is hard to strictly quantify. Regardless the Komodo gearing is vastly tougher and an amazing value.

And Okuma is also local and offers great customer service.

Reactions: Composite

Composite

Nov 18, 2015
Pittsburgh
Name
Nick
Boat
None

The Komodo's drag definitely holds up to long and hard running fish. I've caught an untold number of sharks and rays to 200lbs on the one 471SS I have been attempting to kill since I first bought it.

I have three of them, but this one specific Komodo I have been using as much as possible anywhere I go for anything I can catch. No issues, even when running the drag over 20lbs on long runs.

lkatdpelicanfly

Lizard Fish Slayer
Jun 23, 2009
sou cal
Name
Frank
Boat
Kayak
I've fished a Lexa 400 and that same Trevala 66m, and the reel seems a little off balance on that rod...the reel seems a tad too big. Also love that rod for both bottom and pelagics using 30 lb. line. Before making your final decision...it might not be a bad idea to take the rod with you, if buying in person, to try the reel on the rod, before pulling the trigger. I find that rod is really fun to fish, but the reel can't be too big. Like I'll fish that rod with a Torium 16hga, but not a 20...but that's just me.

writebrian

... and I'm 6'5"
Jan 16, 2007
Arizona
Name
Brian
Boat
Whoever is Hot that week
Short, bad angles, knuckle buster, small ball etc.
Theres a thread on here about it and how to upgrade it
What he said. It is an improvement over the original Okuma power handle, but doesn’t hold a candle to the Cortez option below.

A2D3C566-E748-41E3-B6BD-C847F2A850E1.jpeg

Reactions: johndtuttle

yakmandan

May 30, 2007
AZ.
Name
DAN
Boat
19ft Bayrunner Baja
I have a lexa 400 and an Abu Garcia torro beast The Lexa casts way better then the Abu but I caught a 50+ bluefin with the Abu and have yet to catch anything with the Lexa. I have never tried the Okuma komodos but now I'm gonna have to buy one after reading this.

Reactions: Composite

Goosed10

Jul 12, 2008
Murrieta,Ca
Name
Jeff
Boat
none
673AD57D-8923-40AA-98A4-231107A2F16F.jpeg
I may just have to go the route of the cortez handle then.

However, looking at the Tesoro handle, it should fit the Komodo without modification.
I Checked yesterday the Tesoro 10 handle fits Komodo 400,but the screws are different sizes on the nut keeper’s. No dremel work tho...

Last edited:

onehottip

May 8, 2006
So cal
Name
Guerms
Boat
18.5 Wahoo cc , Evinrude Etec V6 135 HO
How do the komodos work as a bait reel. Soaking sardine and chovies for tuna? I got one late last year and I haven’t tried it for that application yet.

writebrian

... and I'm 6'5"
Jan 16, 2007
Arizona
Name
Brian
Boat
Whoever is Hot that week
I have only fished mine as a bait reel and it is outstanding in every way. I can outcast 90% of the boat with even a tiny sardine and can therefore present my bait directly in the chum as it falls. I have been in the top 3 sticks on the boat each time I fished it when we had that small bait in the fall. One trip me and an older gentleman both had em' and together racked up the majority of the count. Next guy closest to our count was fishing a Lexa.

They are outstanding bait reels if that's how you wanna use em. The 400 size is large enough to back pedal a bait with no problem at all.

onehottip

May 8, 2006
So cal
Name
Guerms
Boat
I can’t wait to try it. Thanks.

Heartoak

Jun 13, 2018
Coto
Name
Jeff
Boat
none
I have only fished mine as a bait reel and it is outstanding in every way. I can outcast 90% of the boat with even a tiny sardine and can therefore present my bait directly in the chum as it falls. I have been in the top 3 sticks on the boat each time I fished it when we had that small bait in the fall. One trip me and an older gentleman both had em' and together racked up the majority of the count. Next guy closest to our count was fishing a Lexa.

They are outstanding bait reels if that's how you wanna use em. The 400 size is large enough to back pedal a bait with no problem at all.
I totally agree. Really solid reels that are extremely versatile. Flyline....throw iron....fish deep...pretty much my go to reel. Might be my all time favorite reel.
Jeff

onehottip

May 8, 2006
So cal
Name
Guerms
Boat
I was using my Calcutta and Corsair for albacore in the mid 90s. All my friends said I was crazy. I thought it was almost perfect at the time. I would tell all who would listen about the extra casting distance and feel the it gave me with a live bait. Mostly sneers. Then Trinidad 14 came along.............