Offshore Morro bluefin

beskew171

Apr 29, 2018
Kingsburg
Name
Bryan Eskew
Boat
Davis Bahia
Went looking for bluefin yesterday (9/25) began trolling about 10 miles straight out from Cambria. Ended up around the piedras blancas lighthouse and that’s about where we found em. Saw jumpers at 35 37. 121 28. We trolled by them and got a good strike on our mahi colored cedar plug. Hit hard and peeled line pretty good but as soon as I picked up the rod it was gone. Even managed to crack the wood on the jig. However, from the look of the jumpers they were maybe 30 pounds.

jayyyy

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 7, 2008
NorCal
Name
jay
Boat
'04 Sea Pro 220 WA / 225 Honda
At least you got to step up to the plate and take your shot. I want to go out of Santa Cruz tomorrow for tuna, weather is predicted bad though might go anyway.

woodfish330

• Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    Bluefin LOVE the sloppy conditions.... if food is present. Can you survive?....lol... that maybe a different story brother. Work the marks .... jigs maybe.... sinker with bait.... troll in between. Look at their behavior during the migration northward.... and successful methods used to get the fish to go. Use similar techniques.

Trolling has produced a small percentage of the total fish taken by the private boat anglers down south. Remember albacore techniques are for albacore. Completely different beast. Just my observations....

John Stidman

Apr 29, 2018
    Baketsfield ca
    Name
    John Stidman
    Boat
    26ft seaswirl striper,24 ft trophy walkaround,24ft glasply flybridge.
    I was there from Friday to Monday night. Fished 4 days. Even went out at 4am tried dropping fkatfalks, knife jigs, glow and zebra. Trolked cedars. No fish. Saw some big jumpers. At first thought maybe dolphin. But it wasn't. Tried poppers, so jigs and colt snipers at them. After I got my first bf I was hooked. Time to rest then plan something else.

W
    woodfish330
    John... dont give up... many a trip down here provided "zero" fish as well. KITE? Been the most effective BLUEFIN technique down south. Or balloon fishing.... Just a thought. Youll get them.... be patient. Largest BLUEFIN biomass in decades Brother.

Errin

Snorkeler
    Jun 22, 2015
    Santa Barbara
    Name
    Errin
    Boat
    Cabo 216
    The cedar plug is famous for breaking off.

Should have soaked live bait - mackerel working good down here...

W
    woodfish330
    The cedar plug is infamous for "poor factory rigging".... and I see you've experienced that "first hand". At a minimum....CHECK IT... every troll... PERIOD. ..... or rerig that thing right yourself.... out of the package... the first time. Good luck brother. No need to blame the cedar plug.

woodfish330

• Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    Usually Brother I rig EVERY cedar plug with 7691 / 7731 Mustad Big Game / Southern Tuna hook. There are times I have to make the hole a little larger to use my desired hook. The "Needle Eye" Mustad.... style they include is truly "rough" in the rigging area eyelette. If you dont clean it up.... whalllllaaaa..... gone. Good luck. Personally have NEVER lost a fish to a bad cedar plug..... because I RIG THEM ALL MYSELF.....REGARDLESS. Be safe out there.

Reactions: John Stidman

thatsharkguy

Almost A Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Central California
    Name
    Karl
    Boat
    15ft Western Aluminum
    Caught tons of albies and a few yellowfin on the cedars, and never lost one. Bluefin are a different animal, seems like everything needs to be perfect. I took my Dremel to the rough edges of the needle eye hooks. Just a pain is all. And I never use factory tied anything. Seems like a stupid way to lose a fish so I always retie shit.