Shimano Penn

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 3, 2014
Chula Vista
Name
David
Boat
Fond Memory
I am planning to fish the Endeavor full day Sat 04/07 and 12 hour trip Sun 04/08. Looking for advice on gear and tackle, info about the boat (did I read “bare bones, no galley?), bait situation, etc. Also I’ll be camping in my new home made “class B” so any suggestions for a campground would be appreciated. Thank in advance!

swami 805

Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
Yup no galley so bring food. Check ahead about bait but if you can bring some fresh dead squid or jig up some mackerel that would be good. A decent 30lb set up and an asstortment of sinkers 8oz and up and some 1/0to4/0 hooks and you should be set. It's rockfish and they fish areas that don't get much pressure so keep it simple and you'll be fine. The boats a little faster than so cal boats but not super cushy. Really good rockfishing and long cod fishing and that boat has it dialed in. Don't over think it just keep your bait at the bottom

Reactions: Bigeasy

Shimano Penn

Dec 3, 2014
Chula Vista
Name
David
Boat
Fond Memory
Damn, I do like my breakfast burritos and cheeseburgers on the Liberty and PQ. There is BEER right?????? ;)
Okay so it’s mostly bait fishing or should I blow a small fortune on jigs of some stripe?

RyanErb

Love to fish!
Aug 7, 2012
All over the 805
Name
Ryan
Boat
OnTheWater
Damn, I do like my breakfast burritos and cheeseburgers on the Liberty and PQ. There is BEER right?????? ;)
Okay so it’s mostly bait fishing or should I blow a small fortune on jigs of some stripe?
Charter boats up north are a bit different than in SD. Don't get me wrong, there are some good ones, but SD is a bit more prestigious in the fishing world. The Endeavor I heard is a fishy boat, but there's a few other things, like food, that will factor into which exact boat you end up choosing to go out on! Call a few landings and chat with them about the different boats, etc.

swami 805

Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
Last time I was on the endeavor we limited 2 hours early. Fish were eating everything pretty much. Jigs and plastic work good but I think that trip fishes 300' plus up by point sur. If you like fishing artificials bring them but it's a lot of winding and underhand casting. Baits much easier to keep on the bottom. Not sure about drinks but you can bring a small cooler and they have a micro wave
Bear in mind too that the weather is a factor and they ain't pussies and will go when a lot of so cal boats wouldn't so bring warm clothes

Reactions: blowncar

Shimano Penn

Dec 3, 2014
Chula Vista
Name
David
Boat
Fond Memory
Thanks guys, good intel. If BYOB is cool I can work with that and at least a microwave means hot food. I like to fish whole squid for lings so already planned to bring some. Don't want to be "that guy" with overkill high end gear so planning to bring my beater stuff in 30 and 40 lb, maybe one nice rig. Older glass rods, mostly Sealine reels.
Any advice on a campground?

hilltop

lurking in the shallows
Jan 1, 2010
sb 805
Name
hilltop
Boat
sold, pangas, Intrepid, and diggin the RRIII
check out the state park right on the beach there north of the rock. montano de oro is cool too. have fun!

duckdog

Arise Kill & Eat
Mar 16, 2007
clovis
Name
matt
Boat
1648 War Eagle
Thanks guys, good intel. If BYOB is cool I can work with that and at least a microwave means hot food. I like to fish whole squid for lings so already planned to bring some. Don't want to be "that guy" with overkill high end gear so planning to bring my beater stuff in 30 and 40 lb, maybe one nice rig. Older glass rods, mostly Sealine reels.
Any advice on a campground?
I wouldn't worry about being "that guy" as you may want to have a high speed reel with braid for horsing up the bigger lings and less work on the long drops. I don't typically fish these boats but have in the past and found there to be a lot of rental gear being used. Go with a open mind and enjoy the views.

X2 on the state campground also look at anywhere in the pismo area as its a 25 minute drive in the morning.

charliecat

on a fishin' mission
Jun 2, 2015
Name
charlie cat
Boat
14' -50' , bunch of boats
Big diamond jigs with bottom treble removed and hook hung off top ring- will lose way less rigs. Like 10-16 oz, especially in April. Usually blows 15+ all hours then.

‘ 55’ , full galley’

willbuyone

Terry Cobb
Aug 4, 2016
Lompoc Ca
Name
Terry Cobb
Boat
Robalo R180 ( Sole Seeker )
The Avenger is a good boat with a good crew and the best breakfast burritos on the Central Coast .

swami 805

Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
If you just want to crash for the night in your truck you could park in the lot at the landing. just kept it on the DL. I've sletp in my truck there before

apogee

My name is Apogee and I am a Squidaholic
Jan 29, 2009
Bakersfield
Name
Apogee..
Boat
Boston Whaler Outrage 28 (End Game)
It is going to blow like crazy that day in typical Morro Bay fashion...Dress warm...Might rain too...Watch out for the game wardens.. Don't confuse your rock fish species if you should happen to find any left........LOL....
.......Ap

Oct 29, 2009
BAJA SUR
Name
DA RAT
Boat
NONE
don't confuse the endeavor out of seaforth in san diego, completely different boat.

if they're fishing to 300', better be using spectra with a short, 6' to 8' topshot of 40 # mono. goes down like snot compared to a full spool of mono. i just use a ball bearing swivel for the connection. check the mono after each drop for nicks from the rocks.

after hitting bottom, immediately crank up about 5 - 8 cranks so as not to get hung on the bottom.

also, if going down to 300', better have a long rock cod crank or you'll be pretty sore at the end of the day. that was in the old days, don't know about these modern reels these days.

sure hope they have a coffee urn, it's probably going to be cold.

have a great trip !

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

PHT

Feb 23, 2005
Capo Beach
Name
Tedd
Boat
yours, I'll scrub and pay
I am planning to fish the Endeavor full day Sat 04/07 and 12 hour trip Sun 04/08. Looking for advice on gear and tackle, info about the boat (did I read “bare bones, no galley?), bait situation, etc. Also I’ll be camping in my new home made “class B” so any suggestions for a campground would be appreciated. Thank in advance!
the landing will help you with gear/ tackle....Abu Garcia/ Loomis out!

Capt Dave

Sep 5, 2012
Paso Robles Ca. USA
Name
Dave Rymal
Boat
Lilly-Rae
Funny you should mention the Endeavor out of Seaforth, It was the Marurder and then the Defiant out of Port San Luis. I ran it for a while before I retired. Brad may have run it also.

Benjamin Lau

Aug 29, 2016
SoCal
Name
Benjamin Lau
Boat
no boat
Yup no galley so bring food. Check ahead about bait but if you can bring some fresh dead squid or jig up some mackerel that would be good. A decent 30lb set up and an asstortment of sinkers 8oz and up and some 1/0to4/0 hooks and you should be set. It's rockfish and they fish areas that don't get much pressure so keep it simple and you'll be fine. The boats a little faster than so cal boats but not super cushy. Really good rockfishing and long cod fishing and that boat has it dialed in. Don't over think it just keep your bait at the bottom
I was on Endeavor yesterday and had a great time.

It was a 12 hours trip and Lauren cooked Burrito for breakfast and made us cheeseburger for lunch. Water, soda, and beer were also cold and available via the honor system.

Fishing was fantastic as long as everyone uses heavyweight as in 16 oz to get to the bottom. A few '8 oz' people were not able to get to the bottom and tangled everyone else.....

You can bring whole dead squid, but I limited out with the cut squid from the boat too.

Benjamin

alantani

Jul 24, 2005
Saratoga, CA
Name
alan tani
Boat
grady white tournament 19, grady white journey 258
ben, it was great meeting you.

yes, a bunch of us fished on the endeavor yesterday. had a great time. the depth limit is now 300 feet, but i believe we were fishing reefs at 260 feet. 7 foot medium rods and mid sized reels with a 4:1 retrieve and 65 pound braid work well. i'd keep it simple. you can use shrimp fly rigs or make up your own leaders with just two hooks, then whole squid. 3 pounds should work. bring at least six of the 1 pound weights.

for the galley, breakfast burritos are $8, cheese burgers are $8, waters and sodas are $2, not sure what beers cost. fish cleaning for a limit of 10 rockcod and 2 lings is under $20, but again i do not remember exactly how much it was.

you'll have a great time!