fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
Well I just got back from a 8 day and had a chance to test the Moreau swim baits...

I never doubted that the swimbait would get bit... my concern was their durability....well we got in to a good yt bite at the Ridge, the fish ranged from 12# to 20#....the fish were all over the bait and I caught 6 fish in 6 casts...I rigged the swimbait with Owner stinger sst66 trebels in 2/0 with welded rings....I used 40# and pulled hard and the baits held together although on the first fish the little tail was chewed off.....

Kevin I would also recommend that that you coat the finish with a more durable clear coat as the paint took a beating ......the bait swims great and a medium slow retrieve with a occasional twitch lit those yellows up I let it sink for about a 5 count before starting my retrieve....I took it off after 6 fish but have no doubt that I could have caught fish with it till my arms gave out.

This bait is a winner IMO and will become a part of my yellowtail arsenal....

kudos Kevin.

Dogwood

Sep 29, 2009
Denver CO USA
Name
Scott Person
Boat
16 Sylvan Explorer
David,
Couple questions if you have the time ... first, and foremost, which knot did you use to tie on the lure. I was throwing one the other day at a local lake on a 40 lb topshot as well, and used a 6 turn Uni. Practicing my casting. Didn't get the kind of motion on the bait that I saw in the video, so was wondering if maybe the knot I'm using is hindering the motion of the bait. Second, did you have to tune the bait at all, or did it swim straight right out of the, errr, box? The one I was throwing seemed to list a bit to the side ... nothing bad, but a bit of a noticable list.

Just wondering if the stiffness of the line and the type of knot I'm tying is affecting the motion. I'm not a big swimbait user, but certainly love the looks and the movement of the lure, so would love to get some performance tips on them.

Best regards,
Scott

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
Nice, the 'Fishybuzz' stamp of approval!

Fishy, which model/size did you fish?
I used the 7" sardine.....Kevin added a little weight to the original and it weights just under 3 ounces with hooks.....I also added a welded ring to tie my line to, I think it helps the action....

wahoodad

Yaddah X3
Apr 27, 2003
US/Mexico
Name
Choate
Boat
Highliner
Fishy, a toilet paper roll holder tube with a hook on one end and a ring to tie to on the other end would have worked in that bite. WFO doesn't even do that bite justice.

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
David,
Couple questions if you have the time ... first, and foremost, which knot did you use to tie on the lure. I was throwing one the other day at a local lake on a 40 lb topshot as well, and used a 6 turn Uni. Practicing my casting. Didn't get the kind of motion on the bait that I saw in the video, so was wondering if maybe the knot I'm using is hindering the motion of the bait. Second, did you have to tune the bait at all, or did it swim straight right out of the, errr, box? The one I was throwing seemed to list a bit to the side ... nothing bad, but a bit of a noticable list.

Just wondering if the stiffness of the line and the type of knot I'm tying is affecting the motion. I'm not a big swimbait user, but certainly love the looks and the movement of the lure, so would love to get some performance tips on them.

Best regards,
Scott
Scott I use a 3 turn uni I have found that 3 or 4 turns is all you need wuth the uni just be sure it's chinched down well...I also welded a nose ring to tie my line to so the bait was free to swim....it swam perfectly "out of the box". I used 40# Big Game....I used a medium to slow retrieve and let it sink out about 5 seconds and kept my tip down close to the water....Hope that helps....

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
Fishy, a toilet paper roll holder tube with a hook on one end and a ring to tie to on the other end would have worked in that bite. WFO doesn't even do that bite justice.
Hoodad my major concern was to see if they would hold up and not fall apart...as I stated ....

and yes it was a wide open bite....but they didn't break

wahoodad

Yaddah X3
Apr 27, 2003
US/Mexico
Name
Choate
Boat
Highliner
Hoodad my major concern was to see if they would hold up and not fall apart...as I stated ....

and yes it was a wide open bite....but they didn't break
Well for that, a good test, as those yellows were inhaling the jigs. Many surgeries to remove the jigs, they were slurping them.

yft1979

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 7, 2004
Murrieta
Name
Garrett
Boat
-
Thats funny!

yft1979

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 7, 2004
Murrieta
Name
Garrett
Boat
-
We were on a dodo bite last year where they were eating fish tags! lol

wahoodad

Yaddah X3
Apr 27, 2003
US/Mexico
Name
Choate
Boat
Highliner
We were on a dodo bite last year where they were eating fish tags! lol

Garrett, on a Monterey Bay tagging trip once, the yellowfin were so wide open we started seeing what we could get them on, started with a fish tag, then a banana peel, piece of apple, pickle, and a jalapeno.

All on the lift pole!

Outhouse

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Feb 13, 2007
Germantown, TN
Name
Jon Scobey
Boat
Titanic
Guys, I'm not in Fishybell's economic class and can't imagine paying $65 for a casting lure. I took the cheap way out and bought a couple of Seibile Swim Magic lures. I got the Green Holo color. Now, I haven't tried them on a fish but tossing them into my pool nearly drove my 90# boxer crazy. He was dead set to kill the fish in his water bowl. They look just like a swimming sardine. I think, including shipping, I paid less than $18 each. I did replace the hooks on them although I didn't use welded rings. I used 70# Owner split rings.

Kevin Moreau

Apr 13, 2010
San Diego Ca. USA
Name
Kevin Moreau
Boat
17' Trumph
First off let me say thanks to Fishbuzz for such a nice post on my lures!!! I am so glad you like them. I am also going to take his advice and try a clear coat that he suggested to make them even better. I will always take good advice. Thanks again FB.

Outhouse,
I totally understand where you are coming from! I am a man of simple means too. But, with that said, believe it or not, I have not made a profit on these baits yet. The cost and time to make them is a constant challenge. They are not made in China. My son and I make them from start to finish at home and I buy all the highest quality parts, paints, clear, and hooks, and that dose not include the molds, packaging, website, and massive amounts of time and much more. I am working so hard to get the cost down, I want nothing more. I am not even sure I can keep doing this, but I am going to give it hell before I ever give up! I often think if guys could watch what goes into each bait, they would truly call me crazy!

One thought... On the first day of testing the 8" bait we took a friend out to the Islands with no bait, no other tackle We only had four baits. He commented that he had never gone to the islands without bait, and said this is a bit crazy. We caught 26 to 30 pound Yellowtail all day long. My friend caught the biggest and most Yellowtail of his life in one trip. On the way home he said "A scoup of bait is $45 + tip and I never give it a second thought, that just about paid for my lure in one trip without bait". He also said his bait has rolled on him on a few trips too... Ouch!

Thanks
Kevin

Outhouse

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Feb 13, 2007
Germantown, TN
Name
Jon Scobey
Boat
Titanic
Kevin, please don't take my comments as a bash, just the opposite. I have a lot of respect for Fishy's comments and if he says your lures are amazing, I am sure he is right. I only fish one week per year, thus, I just can see me buying a Mercedes lure.

1:11

WMDcustoms
Jul 28, 2005
Name
Boat
Kevin, im sure most people understand that these are custom pieces and that the price reflects that. Not to mention you arent getting any help from this weak dollar.

I dont even want to build custom rods for money any more. Well, i rarely do anyways, but id rather barter whenever possible. Maybe you can do some bartering too. When you barter both sides ALWAYS come out WAY BETTER than a cash deal.

You might try a rodbuilding finish two part epoxy to coat your lures. I use flex coat on my wahoo bombs because they get toothed up to the Max. I recently put a layer of flex coat on my 12" original hand painted AC trout plug. I used a very thin finish, i got no drips or sags and the thing has a thick hard brilliant sheen. I was thrilled with the result. Your bait will hold up amazingly well if you use a two part rod finish epoxy and it will also bring out your paintjob even better. Highly recommend. Use flex coat brushes, lay it on and spread it out thin so it wont drip or sag, pm w questions, or post.

DenisB

icecream addict
Jul 28, 2008
Wollongong, NSW, Australia
Name
Denis Brown
Boat
40' Randall
The only thing with rod epoxies is that they are softer than other epoxy clears.
It goes with the flexibility needs of a rod finish.

I use my excess mixed rod epoxy on metal slugs to keep the shine, but for high quality painted lure finishes Envirotex Lite is a much more durable finish than rod epoxy & heaps cheaper too.

The most durable of all is 2-pack 2K polyurethane clears with the fastest spray solvent you can get your hands on & multiple ( up to 8-10 ) wet on wet coats as soon as each coat has "set up" & the thinners evaporated.

Nothing is perfect & lasts forever where what is swallowing them has teeth.

Kevin,
you can see the sort of finish you can get with Envirotex in the recent stickbaits I have posted in the lure forum. Comparable 2K PU clears can be seen in Bennie ( Fish Mad ) posts of his Sardine & Mackerel lures.
Bennie's photography is a lot better than mine tho.

I use envirotex lite on my bigger lures ( 2 Oz + ) & 2K PU clears on my smaller lures ( I have not posted any of my Bass/Trout lures ).

Hope that gives you more ideas on clear finishes.

with your jointed lures I'm guessing you will need to apply & allow to jell on a rotisserie & then you can hang them until they harden fully.( otherwise the clears are likely to drip into the joints ).

If you are looking for DIY rotisserie designs I have posted a couple of types

Any queries on any of that ..........feel free to PM.

As for costs of DIY custom molded baits, you are right about people not seeing what goes in to them in equipment, components, & time/effort.

Anyone that wants to make a small fortune making premium custom lures needs to start with a large fortune............its simply very labour intensive on top of component costs.

Last edited:

Kevin Moreau

Apr 13, 2010
San Diego Ca. USA
Name
Kevin Moreau
Boat
17' Trumph
Thanks again everyone!!!

1:11 and DennisB,

Thank so much for your time and advice!!! I have been using a high quality automotive clear on them. It seems good but after catching a bunch of fish they get scratched up just like all my other lures I have in my box. (But still catch fish) But with that said, I need to get this better finish on them, I am always looking to improve, I am a perfectionist. Fishybuzz said to try Polyurethane too. Do you guys think I can paint this stuff over the auto clear I have on them now?:2gunsfiring_v1: Or will they clash? I will give it a try on one of my own.

Thanks again guys for your time and the help and tips...

I am dead set on getting these the best that they can be!!! As for me, they have put me on the most and biggest Yellowtail of my life and my son and his friends biggest Yellow and biggest fish ever 130 pound Thresher. So it's moving forward, and look for all my other brands of lures to be listed on ebay soon...:rofl:

Kevin

Dogwood

Sep 29, 2009
Denver CO USA
Name
Scott Person
Boat
16 Sylvan Explorer
David,
Thanks a lot for the feedback. About that Uni, I think it's easier to properly cinch it if you only use 3 or 4 turns, rather than 5 or 6. Probably makes a stronger knot properly seated rather than using more material and not having it tighten compactly.
Best regards,
Scott