San Diego, Ca
Name
David
Boat
Late arrival
image.jpg
image.jpg
Short story:
Returned this am on the Legend from a 1 1/2 day. Went to the pens and had big bft going pretty quick. Biggest fish over 100 lbs. Boat lost a lot but got a few. Rest of the day caught plenty of yft. Dines died and anchovy was key. Light line got the bites but lost a lot. Lots of fish in the area.

Long story:
Jumped on the Legend with my father in law and my two boys. Last chance before my oldest leaves to help do his part to keep our liberty and freedom.(Bootcamp USMC) We were pumped and ready to stroke some tuna. The news about the bft opening back up helped with our destination. We were at the pens before first light and we started to get action a while later. The fish are Big!!!!! You better be ready. Each one of us got railed on these big dogs. I believe 11 were landed on the boat and unfortunately mine was lost at gaff to a hammerhead. Crazy sight and definitely a first for me!!! Biggest tuna was 100-130. Freakin toad. Most guys weren't prepared and lots were lost. We ended up sticking in the general area for the rest of the day.

Lots of fish around and was a complete blast watching the four of us whoop some tuna. My 10 yr old had guys shaking their heads as it seemed he was bent all day. 20 lb line was the key with the yft. Chovies had a hard time swimming with the heavier line. Lots of action and yft limits for us and for a lot on the boat.

The Legend was a great boat. Chuck puts you on the fish. Joey, Mike and Marcus worked their butts off and really took care of us. Paul cooked up the best dinner that I have ever had on a 1 1/2er. Working on a boat during the season is no joke and these guys flat out made the trip with their hard work and good attitudes. Good group of anglers, working together, made for a good time.

Plenty of fish for the going away party and enough to give our family and friends a taste. Great time spent with some of the most important people in my life, doing what we love to do!!!

Upvote 0

Wandering Blues

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 19, 2008
The Land of Entrapment
Name
Curtis
Boat
A Pair of Simms G3 Waders
Long story:
Jumped on the Legend with my father in law and my two boys. Last chance before my oldest leaves to help do his part to keep our liberty and freedom.(Bootcamp USMC)

Doing the same this week as mine heads out for the Army bootcamp. Give your son a pat on the back and let him know that people he'll never meet are proud of what he's doing.

Upvote 0

Swagg

Jul 17, 2008
San Diego, Ca
Name
David
Boat
Late arrival
Thanks everyone!!!! The BFT were caught on 30lb but many were lost because of this. The heavier line was too much for the anchovy. Very few iron fish, all YFT. I did get my best fish on a glow in the dark right before heading in.

Upvote 0

Rimack

Old School
Jun 24, 2011
Elk Grove
Name
gary
Boat
WORKING ON IT.
Good news, Great report

Reactions: Swagg
Upvote 0

matt86m

Not worthy of a Title
Apr 6, 2010
Fountain Valley, CA
Name
Matt
Boat
20' Tiara Pursuit
Great day for you! Lots to be proud of. Pic of your 10 yr old is priceless!

Thank you goes to You and Mom & your oldest! Thank him for me and wish him good luck.

As I told my Nephew (USMC) pay attention to the details, embrace the training and your new family. Take a good look around whenever you can, you're doing something great that will stay with you for a lifetime.

Upvote 0

finishright

May 17, 2008
Oceanside Ca.
Name
Mike Morris
Boat
prowler kayak
that's a future capt. there hooked up pointing out breaking fish looks like you've done a good job raising good sons thanks to your oldest for his service

Upvote 0

Swagg

Jul 17, 2008
San Diego, Ca
Name
David
Boat
Late arrival
that's a future capt. there hooked up pointing out breaking fish looks like you've done a good job raising good sons thanks to your oldest for his service

Thanks to all and I will be sure to pass on all of your comments to my oldest. I smile at the pic of the runt pointing at jumpers every time I look at it. Kid is salty and has been catching tuna for years. Sure is nice for me to be able to finally turn my back and feel alright with them handling their business. Had to look for the youngster on the way out and found him playing cards with the old salts and winning his share. Funny but a little scary!!!!

Reactions: Wandering Blues
Upvote 0

caserock

Student of life ....
Nov 29, 2005
Costa Mesa
Name
Mike
Boat
La Otra
Awesome stuff right there ....

Upvote 0

mafrancis66

Apr 19, 2010
Oceanside, CA, USA
Name
Mark Franics
Boat
Sold it!
Good work Dad... best memories I have are fishing with my dad and brother. Please extend my congratulations and thank you to your oldest son for his service. It means a lot to more people than he will ever know.

And congrats to you and your wife on the great job you have done with your boys!

Cheers :hali_olutta:

Upvote 0