fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
Fishordie sent in a batch of the "new" Soft Steel for testing and the results for the 100# were
100# New Soft Steel Ultra
breaking strength 119.35#
diameter .913
hardness 97.3

for the 80# breaking strength 103.69#
diameter .832
hardness 96.4

I had several spools of the "original" 100# Soft Steel Ultra mono and I was I was curious how it would test compared to the "new" Soft Steel Ultra I just got the results from Paulus.
100# Original Soft Steel Ultra
Breaking strength 123.5
Diameter .897
hardness 96.7

and last year before the new version of the Soft Steel Ultra was available I got a bulk spool of 100# ASSO mono from BHP Tackle....this is the company in Italy that actually makes Soft Steel Ultra and is the house version of the Soft Steel sold here. The test results were:
100# ASSO
Breaking strength 104.42
Diameter .84
Hardness 97.1

I did this to see if there was a difference in the new line compared to the original and it seems pretty close, but the ASSO 100# is more like the "new" Soft Steel 80#.....just a FYI.

305YFT

Nov 6, 2010
Anaheim Hills, Ca.
www.softsteelusa.com
Name
Tony Garza
Boat
All S.D. Long Range Boats
The "New" Soft Steel Ultra as you put it, is the same line as before. What is different is the diameters. Ultra is avaliable in .05 mm incements. I brought in diameters based on factory break strengths. I chose these based on what I feel was best suited for long range fishing. ANY Soft Steel ULTRA purchased before Feburary 2012 is going to have a different diameters. "New" ULTRA is distributed by Soft Steel USA.
If you compair the new Soft Steel Ultra diameters to other Monofilaments, you will see that Ultra is about 1 size smaller. Ultra 100 Lb. is the size of other 80 Lb. Ultra 130 Lb. is the size of other 100 and yet breaks at 170 plus pounds. (Test results by Paulus Just Fishing, Aus.)
Please do not confuse old Ultra dimeters and break strength with the diameters and break strengths of the new.
Monofilament has a shelf life. Unless stored in a dark and consistant temperture, it will deteriorate. You can contact me thru the softsteelusa.com web site about trading your "Old" Soft Steel ULTRA for new.
Tony Garza
Soft Steel USA

305YFT

Nov 6, 2010
Anaheim Hills, Ca.
www.softsteelusa.com
Name
Tony Garza
Boat
All S.D. Long Range Boats
The "New" Soft Steel Ultra as you put it, is the same line as before. What is different is the diameters. Ultra is avaliable in .05 mm incements. I brought in diameters based on factory break strengths. I chose these based on what I feel was best suited for long range fishing. ANY Soft Steel ULTRA purchased before Feburary 2012 is going to have a different diameters. "New" ULTRA is distributed by Soft Steel USA.
If you compair the new Soft Steel Ultra diameters to other Monofilaments, you will see that Ultra is about 1 size smaller. Ultra 100 Lb. is the size of other 80 Lb. Ultra 130 Lb. is the size of other 100 and yet breaks at 170 plus pounds. (Test results by Paulus Just Fishing, Aus.)
Please do not confuse old Ultra dimeters and break strength with the diameters and break strengths of the new.
Monofilament has a shelf life. Unless stored in a dark and consistant temperture, it will deteriorate. You can contact me thru the softsteelusa.com web site about trading your "Old" Soft Steel ULTRA for new.
Tony Garza
Soft Steel USA

scrubber

true story
Dec 5, 2009
san pedro
Name
will
Boat
1936 wilson xt
Can I buy it at a tackle shop ? Big 5, walmart . Turners etc.? Or is it only from you ur the internet? Baja fish gear ?

wahoodad

Yaddah X3
Apr 27, 2003
US/Mexico
Name
Choate
Boat
Highliner
Can I buy it at a tackle shop ? Big 5, walmart . Turners etc.? Or is it only from you ur the internet? Baja fish gear ?

It's almost dinnertime, so Tony is logged off. But he says The Longfin, Savon Tackle, and Johnnies carries the new Soft Steel Ultra.

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
Nov 29, 2004
San Diego
Name
Carl
Boat
everyone elses
I find it interesting that the old stuff was stronger.

Reactions: sonofahab

DC61

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 28, 2011
Dana Point
Name
Paul L.
Boat
33’ Blackfin
I have always fished with Yo Zuri pink flurocarbon and have gotten bit very well. I never had a reason to change. On my January Intrepid trip one guy (Ken Houser) was getting bit really well. He was using Soft Steel Ultra 100#.

Since it was a soft steel trip, Tony had provided everyone with a spool of 100# mono. This was a big step for me because I am a big believer in flurocarbon. I put it on my Accurate 30 and began getting bit too. Not sure if it was just a coincidence or not, but a significant difference getting bites.

On the last morning instinctively I grabbed my 100# and threw out in the dark. I got bit and instantly regretted not grabbing my 130 set up. Two hours later I landed a 247 on the Soft Steel Ultra 100#.

While I am still a flurocarbon guy (old habits are hard to break) I am completely sold on soft steel ultra. I realize my experience is a small sample size, but I have complete confidence in it and plan to fish it a great deal in the future.