Mr. Jones

Well-Known "Member"
May 9, 2020
Orange County
Name
Ronnie Jones
Boat
Seaswirl 2901
How do bottom living species get to islands like Catalina or rock piles like alijos rocks? I could see how small eggs or larvae float there, but for some species that are live young I am not sure.

This question was spawned by two things. First, I saw a video of whitetip reef sharks at alijos rocks and thought that was weird. Second, I caught a lotmof brown smoothhound sharks in Cat Harbor, a species I have caught nowhere else on the island.

My person theory is that they were there before Catalina broke off from the mainland and just stayed there.

eviljaysen

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 16, 2005
USA
Name
Jaysen
Boat
Dreaming
they swim.

seriously though... in the currents, water temperature, food availability drive distribution more than land or structure.

Reactions: ElFuego

Mr. Jones

Well-Known "Member"
May 9, 2020
Orange County
Name
Ronnie Jones
Boat
Seaswirl 2901
It just seemed unlikely that they swam across the channel, it's so deep. Do they swim along the bottom or do they just cruise mid water column?

I guess sharks that I would think of as bottom sharks, like Tope, migrate to the islands.

makairaa

May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
I know they have tagged halibut off the ventura coast and recaptured them at the channel islands. I also know they have put pinger tags on black seabass and have had them change islands multiple times. So yes fish swim where they want. Whether on the bottom or midwater who knows.

Reactions: PacificPredator

parkermann2

Feb 28, 2012
Chino/Ca
Name
Parker Manning
Boat
N/A
Fish move. There was a calico bass tagged at La Jolla and caught at the coronados. A few years ago a sport boat heading back from Catalina found a mako eating a 60lb + White Seabass in the middle of the channel. How these fish know where to go I have no idea but they do.

Also, not fish but there was a radio collared snow goose that flew from the tip of Alaska to central California. Across the middle of the ocean. Only stopping to sit on the water and rest a few times. There are ducks that migrate from Canada and Alaska to Hawaii every year.

Fish and animals do some amazing things

anemic

circling the drain
Mar 6, 2004
Long Beach
Name
Chuck
Boat
nope
It might have 1987 or 1988 that my neighbor caught Calico Bass at the Cortez Bank. How is that possible?

SouthBayKiller

Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
Many fish are broadcast spawners.

Also it wasn’t too long ago that one of the spotter planes posted a picture of a halibut swimming on the surface way offshore.

Otto

Aug 1, 2008
San Diego
Name
Floyd - Guy from Repo Man
Boat
19 SeaPro
How do bottom living species get to islands like Catalina or rock piles like alijos rocks? I could see how small eggs or larvae float there, but for some species that are live young I am not sure.

This question was spawned by two things. First, I saw a video of whitetip reef sharks at alijos rocks and thought that was weird. Second, I caught a lotmof brown smoothhound sharks in Cat Harbor, a species I have caught nowhere else on the island.

My person theory is that they were there before Catalina broke off from the mainland and just stayed there.
Do you prefer smoking crack cocaine or is it snorting crystal meth ?

Omarkayak

Jul 26, 2007
Northridge, CA
Name
Bills
Boat
11+ ft, Ocean Kayak Scrambler, P 'N' Queue Pod
Dr. Love reports seeing yuge school of calicos middle of Santa Barbara Channel, headed somewhere just beneath the surface, seemingly on a mission. Heck, even rockfish can be here yesterday, gone today, where did they go? How did they get to those seamounts way offshore? And remember how many zillion sandbass would spawn on the flats year after year, usually "showing up" at imperial beach, then clam beds, then huntington, spreading toward horseshoe, then santa monica, then Oxnard-ventura… Did they migrate north from Mexico, or just start spawning in that order? Where were they the rest of the year? I know, lots of room to spread out and hide in small numbers, or go back to mexico. I have absolutely no ideas, but lots of questions. I'd venture to guess fish have swum back and forth many times since Catalina was attached to the mainland if it was even above water at the time.

Good fishin'!
BDC OK

pelagiko

baitfish
Jul 26, 2006
SD
Name
Bryant
Boat
Eliminator-Robalo-Gregor Hybrid
May I suggest focused studies across a broad range of science. The world tends to make sense with an moderate understanding of biology, botany, geology, zoology, chemistry and physics. It's like a slow motion epiphany ..... similar to the Matrix..... and leads to more camping, fishing and gardening

Efishnsea

Teaching kids how to fish
Aug 2, 2007
Covina, Ca
Name
Ed Efishnsea
Boat
21' Boston Whaler Outrage, + Kayaks--looking for 205 Conquest
May I suggest focused studies across a broad range of science. The world tends to make sense with an moderate understanding of biology, botany, geology, zoology, chemistry and physics. It's like a slow motion epiphany ..... similar to the Matrix..... and leads to more camping, fishing and gardening
They follow forage, water temp, currents and cover from predators.
Example is kelp paddys sometimes have opaleye, blue perch and calico's on them mid Catalina channel.

Last edited:

tom donohue

Team Jersea
Jul 31, 2009
Menifee, CA
Name
Tom Donohue
Boat
Jersea
Some times they go by train.
In 1879 striped bass fry were successfully shipped by train from New Jersey to the Delta in Martinez Ca. to start a flourishing west coast fishery that exists to this day.
You just never know.

Reactions: esgeo

Tin Pangas

Skipper
Aug 28, 2010
Norwalk, Ca U.S.A.
Name
Kevin
Boat
37 Tollycraft
Some times they go by train.
In 1879 striped bass fry were successfully shipped by train from New Jersey to the Delta in Martinez Ca. to start a flourishing west coast fishery that exists to this day.
You just never know.
it may exist but i wouldn't say it's 'flourishing' lol

DOS BALLENAS

bisque is better
Nov 25, 2005
cardiff
Name
owyn
Boat
15 ft gregor, dos ballenas dos/ yak, fishstix
The adult fish move around a lot.... even the benthic species. For example there have been multiple sebastes tagged at offshore seamounts like the 43. Several of the rock fish tagged at the 43 were later recaptured as far away as San Pedro and the Coronado Islands.... sometimes as soon as a month or two after they were tagged. They can move. Whether they follow bottom contours, swim midwater, or at the surface is still not understood

fishgrappler

Jul 4, 2015
Name
Bru
Boat
Skipjack 24 Open
Rockfish are pelagic during the larval stage, so their distribution can cover relatively large areas. Other species may or may not behave this way, but I'm 100% sure that rockfish do.

Reactions: esgeo

Mr. Jones

Well-Known "Member"
May 9, 2020
Orange County
Name
Ronnie Jones
Boat
Seaswirl 2901
But, when I see a video of something that is not larval at a young age, like a bat ray, at the Cortez Banks I have to wonder how it got there. And, how did so many get there that they can establish a population?

What are the chances that I would bump into a bat ray cruising in open water?

esgeo

Feb 12, 2015
Tulsa, OK
Name
Eric
Boat
Feelfree Lure 11.5
I don’t know anything about the evolution of sebastes but the Channel Islands as a geographic/bathymetric feature, including submerged banks, are less than 20 million years old (in geology we refer to this as the Southern California Borderland province). There are rockfish fossils at least that old, so it is possible that some of the populations evolved with the changing local bathymetry as the Borderlands developed. You see similar effects on land- for example the vegetation in ”island in the sky” type ecosystems in Nevada and New Mexico have tree species that were probably more contiguous before the landscape in these areas started getting pulled apart. That tectonic activity formed isolated mountain ranges that still have tree species similar to what you see in contiguous forest swaths in the Rockies or Sierras.