More marbling.. tests

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Building Forum' started by tgorman, Jan 3, 2018.

1. tgorman

tgorman Member

Name:
    Todd Gorman
    Boat:
    Robalo R180
    So last night Don and Ken came up with some possible color combos to go with this Pink/White/Mauve/Gray camo EVA I have for my next build.

Gotta tip the cap to our host Don and Ken for suggesting the pearl and pink translucents. The mauve I mixed hauxt pink and purple together to try and darken it a little. Think it came out cool.

Then.. I not really trying .. but did a Dorado pallet of 3 blues a green and a silver over a PacPay Gold that is awesome and will be a future build for sure. did it over a variegated blue/gold thread and it looks sharp too.

capt 1.JPG Gold N bLUE.JPG bLU N GOLD VARIATED.JPG

FARRIER and ChuyG like this.
  2. cmepen

cmepen I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Einar Lohner
    Boat:
    Cabo Marine 226
    Looks ready for prime time! Nice work!

3. USMCfish

USMCfish USMC-FISH

Name:
    Lee
    Boat:
    Tuna Can
    looks sharp cant wait to see the build..

4. jg125

jg125 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Jay
    Boat:
    2004 Proline 33 WA
    like that dorado

5. paradoxjim

paradoxjim Member

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Jakary
    I really like your marbling technique for blending colors. The mahi looks particularly fine.

6. tgorman

tgorman Member

Name:
    Todd Gorman
    Boat:
    Robalo R180
    Technique? LOL I am winging it. And trying to learn. Matter of fact Steve who is a master rod builder is going to do some demo's at the class Tuesday.

I am trying to get a little outside the box on colors. And have to admit that some of them are really working.

On the Dorado one the middle one. I tried something different. I used a Dental Tool that looks like a wicked torture tool it king of spirals a little. And instead of tooth picks I rolled the tool on my pallet of color and then as the rod was rotating I went left to right with a twisting motion and it looks like plants almost. Especially when I used the tools to scrape away the pigment to show the gold underneath.

I was going dark to light.. and Steve said to go the opposite and use less dark. so on all of these I started with the lightest shade and added darks last.

I am also trying to get some of the colors from the same shade
    on the pink one. I used 3 pinks, Silver and a dark gray on the black underwrap
    On the dorado I used 3 blues and a green and a Silver with the gold underwrap

It is fun.