Omarkayak

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 26, 2007
Northridge, CA
Name
Bills
Boat
11+ ft, Ocean Kayak Scrambler, P 'N' Queue Pod
Another close call getting on the Sport King. Almost didn't run (again) for lack of anglers, but we mustered eight souls and off we went. If I had to turn around, I could have made the MDR 1/2 day with probably 40 odd other folks. Or 40 other odd folks, whichever.

Picked up some hot cured dines then headed out to deep water for scorps. Couple other sporties there in close proximity. Bite was good but most were on the small side. Nevertheless, we had about limits by ten something a.m. Water was nice shade of blue. Couple dink mackies caught there too.

Heading in toward Izor's area, water got green pretty quick. We nestled in among a boat load (shit load?) of private boaters and couple of sporties. I got some short calis and an out of season sheephead. Everything on dines with Carolina rig (1/2 to 2 oz slider). Couldn't keep squid on the hook owing to voracious blacksmiths that ate everything lickety split before any bass could get a sniff in edgewise. Light line got bit much better--I was using 15 and 20. Lost a couple setups to bites down in holes and just plain snags. Regular chumming seemed to induce flurries of bass and a couple nice ones came aboard. Big debris line moved in, kelp, chip bags, plastic, that weed that looks like bamboo ("cane?"). Someone claimed to have seen a condom floating by. Eww. Captain Bruce got disgusted and we moved up and west. The debris line turned out to be a current break and the nice blue water had pushed in just the tother side of it.

Tried one spot with very good marks but not much caught except I got a fantail sole. Moved a short distance and it was pretty good bite, especially when they chummed a bit. Some very snaggy bits here and I lost more hooks and a sinker or two, all on bites. Think I was down to my last hook of that size range (Mustad 92677 or equivalent #2 to 1/0). More short calis (one nice one) and some more nice sand bass were caught here. I actually ended up with JP much to my surprise.

Well, March 1 is coming soon (bleah), and with it I'll go on hiatus until party boats start fishing for something besides rockfish.

Good fishin'!
BDC OK

HighWildFree

Well-Known "Member"
Feb 16, 2018
OC
Name
Erik
Boat
Moooo!
Thanks for the report, glad to see the boat back in action, after a short break. Nice work on the JP.

lkatdpelicanfly

Lizard Fish Slayer
Jun 23, 2009
sou cal
Name
Frank
Boat
Kayak
Good to hear you got out..i tried going the next day but they didnt make it out due to lack of passengers. Wish the yellows would start biting locally or at Cat...that'd get a lot more people out.

Reactions: Omarkayak

SaltH20Angler

I'm not superstitious... cuz it's bad luck.
Aug 6, 2016
SoCal - Corona
Name
Christopher
Boat
I know a couple guys...
Enjoyed the read, Thank you for the report.

I see a "But did you give the JP $$ to the crew" comment coming any minute now.

Omarkayak

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 26, 2007
Northridge, CA
Name
Bills
Boat
11+ ft, Ocean Kayak Scrambler, P 'N' Queue Pod
[Quote I see a "But did you give the JP $$ to the crew" comment coming any minute now.

Haha, yes I did. Crew is helpful and pretty on-it. And a special shout-out to galley guy Wayne (?) Walter (?) (I'm terrible with names) who stuck a song in my head that was surprisingly tough to shake (Sideshow by Blue Magic).

Good fishin'!
BDC OK

Paddyman1

A mossback is better than a hairy back
Nov 7, 2010
La Costa Izquierda
Name
Steve
Boat
N/A
Sounds like a nice day of fishing despite the floating contraceptive😳

Thanks for the details!