Dexter Outdoors

Ksurg

Jul 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
Name
KB
Boat
Outer Limits
Maybe I’m too old school. I’m going on a late fall 10d trip on the SOA, and thinking about getting a dedicated kite setup. Keep in mind I am anticipating more and longer trips in the near future. I already have a VSIXS 50 which I plan to put on an UC Invictus.
But I was thinking, which is usually when I screw up, that a better option would be a blueprinted VISS 70 on a OSPx4. My thought is more 200 lb braid line and a rod that isn’t as stiff as a real 4x4 like the UC gladiator.

After reading through past threads it sounds the 70 and OSP x4 may be overkill. I also have a PII 50SW from Cal but I’m not sure it will pull enough drag in sunset. The 70 isn’t much heavier, has better width to height, and is a winch.

Thoughts... Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Funny, I have access to borrowed Accurate reels from two friends, ATD 50W, 50 and stout rods I have built for them, but didn’t bother with a kite outfit for my recent 16 day on the Independence. Not sure how much opportunity exists on a Lower Banks trip.

Upvote 0

Ksurg

Jul 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
Name
KB
Boat
Outer Limits
I hear you Steve. My trips have been mostly short or really long Cow trips. But last year on the SOA fall trip many of the larger 100-200lb BFT were taken on the kite. Some came in on FF. Better to have a gun and not need it then to need a gun and not have it. Pretty sure a cow trip and PV are in my future so don’t mind investing now.

Reactions: Steve K
Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
My thoughts didn’t even go to big Bluefin, I was on the Lower Banks.

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
Fk yah add a kite rig. If it's in the cards without limiting other essential gear

My first cow was a PV super. My second Cow was at HB on my own kite cow outfit. 80 with a baja boomer

Boat gear is fine. But your arsenal if you can. Know the history of the line

Upvote 0

Ksurg

Jul 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
Name
KB
Boat
Outer Limits
To be honest my kite experience was mostly on trips to the Revillarigedo islands a long time ago. So, not lower banks and different equipment altogether. People were chunking with 80 wides on 51/2 ft Sabres.

Pardon my ignorance. Nonetheless if I am going to get back into LR I want the right gear.

Reactions: Steve K
Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
50 or 50w with a lower diameter then 200# spectra that will fly better. High performance 50. If it's in the cards. Pick up a dedicated kite rig. My bad, thought you already had a 70.

But it sure feels good working a giant YFT on a 80. At least once

Some of the more qualified fishers will chime in. Wait for it

Upvote 0

screamingreel

Long Range Fanatic
Jan 14, 2006
Walnut Creek CA
longrangesportfishingsandiego.com
Name
Jeff Burroughs
Boat
Long Range and Private
A Penn VSIXS 50 on an UC Invictus will be a good combo for the kite. You may want to have Cal (or someone else) get the reel in primo performance and work on the drag cam so it is more linear. For a dedicated kite rig, I recommend buying an Okuma Makaira 50WII SEa, fill it with 800 yards of 200 lbs. hollow spectra and slap in on a UC Gladiator. If that combo doesn't land it, nothing will.

- Jeff Burroughs

Upvote 0

Dave Coopman

Almost A Member
May 26, 2019
Huntington Beach
Name
Dave Coopman
Boat
Judge 27
If you’re going to go big go big. The penn 70, makaria 80. They are winch type reels.
As far as rods go, I do like the seekers a bit more. Has a bit more bend which I like. I do make my own rods so I give them long butt sections so I can sit on them while fighting the fish.

Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Just just judging by what the captains are ordering for this year's bluefin season, the 50VISX is clearly thought to be sufficient.
A few who already have them are placing a 70VIS into the lineup in anticipation of 400 pounders later this year.
For the lower banks and/or HB any of those should be fine.

Upvote 0

spinner

Dec 2, 2007
irvine
Name
mikegooing
Boat
none
THE 70 HAS THE SAME GEAR RATIOS AS A 50W/ BUT YOU NEVERRRRR SHOULD USE THE BOAT ROD FOR MANY REASONS. MANY TIMES THE SUPERS WILL BE CAUGHT ON THE KITE BECAUSE OF THE BIGGGG GEAR. I ALWAYS LLIKE TO HAVE A STAND ALONE KITE RIG READY TO GO AT A MOMENTS NOTICE. IT CAN SNEAK UP ON YOU FAST AND YOU MAY NOT BE READY AND YOUR GEAR WILL FAIL. ALSO GIVE THE KITE MASTER A 20 TO COME GET YOU IF YOU COME UP AND YOU ARE DOWN IN YOUR ROOM

Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    A while back can make a stump puller out of a 70 with a optional Penn low/low gear. I love my ATD-80. Knowing the size of fish, 200# or 300# is nice to know. Lower banks tuna can be bigguns. Some boats like to go far out on the kite too.

Reactions: ZZZZZ
    Upvote 0

Tim Turis

Sep 16, 2004
    Atlanta GA
    Name
    Tim Turis
    Boat
    n/a
    I currently use a Penn 50T (two speed) as my dedicated kite reel.

I previously used a Penn 80S reel for the kite and then downsized to a Penn 50TW (two speed). The 80S with 1:1 low gear was a great reel once a fish was hooked, but it is a lot of reel to hold while waiting to get bit; even in a pad/harness. The same could probably could be said for a 70 sized reel; great reel, but a lot for reel to hold while waiting for a bite.

IMHO, with the advent of spectra, a 50 size reel has enough capacity to use on the kite. Mine has 900 yards of a combination of hollow 130/100# with enough room for a 25’ 200# kite leader.

The new Penn 50VISX reels are great reels, but so are 20+ year old Penn 50Ts. Both are incredibly powerful with lots of torque, incredibly reliable, and built like tanks. The Okuma Makairas are also excellent reels.

Lots of great choices in reels today and I hope this info helps your with your choice.

Upvote 0

Ksurg

Jul 14, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Name
    KB
    Boat
    Outer Limits
    Just just judging by what the captains are ordering for this year's bluefin season, the 50VISX is clearly thought to be sufficient.
    A few who already have them are placing a 70VIS into the lineup in anticipation of 400 pounders later this year.
    For the lower banks and/or HB any of those should be fine.

Upvote 0

Ksurg

Jul 14, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Name
    KB
    Boat
    Outer Limits
    A lot of great info. Still trying to decide. I think I want a dedicated kite rig. I want to openly recognize that the Mak 50 WII SEA is a great reel. Still, I want to keep my purchase stateside. So, probably Penn 50W or 70 with blueprinting. The other option will be an ATD 50W. Also considered an Avet 3 speed but I’m not an Avet guy.

As for rods I too prefer the bend of an OSPx4. Keep in mind almost every other rod I own is UC or Calstar. The Gladiator just seems too stiff.

I have bought a lot of gear in the last couple of months. Seems like mostly Penn but
    still have a few accurates and a Mak 10SEA.

P.S. The thought of an ATD 50 W is nostalgic. Reminds me of Clarion cow trips before it closed. That might be enough to justify the extra $$.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    Fishing the kite with an ATD50W and a pretty stout rod, caught two cows on June Heat 2009. It was awesome, great to be fishing with confidence.

Upvote 0

Fishizelle

Apr 26, 2014
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    Super Fishal
    No need for 200 lbs braid. Definitely do not want to run hollow on a kite set up. Think of the days when there is just enough wind to fly the kite or just the ballon. You are fine with 120 lbs solid. If you want more line capacity then fill it with 100 lbs.

Reactions: Crash
    Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    A while back can make a stump puller out of a 70 with a optional Penn low/low gear. I love my ATD-80. Knowing the size of fish, 200# or 300# is nice to know. Lower banks tuna can be bigguns. Some boats like to go far out on the kite too.

Other side of the bank. With binoculars watching the bait. It is nice to have fishing range capacity. For giant YFT that are not related to the boat and BFT

Flyline will take the lighter tackle advantage. But kite fish. Love to feel the fishes full power on the heavy gear.

A dedicated BFT Kite and free fall cow rig. I would 50 size

Straight kite outfit with a 300lber as the goal. Give me the 80

Reactions: Bill W
    Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    I always wonder sometimes when the boat puts out the kite in a completely different zone. The boat does fish structure of some sort with the corner of the bank and the bait tanks lay out a scent trail. So is the sound of generators a issue?

Reactions: ZZZZZ
    Upvote 0

Elitetv1958

Sep 20, 2005
    Las Vegas
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Music, Red Rooster, America Angler, Polaris Supreme
    Avet 80/3. The avet Three speeds are nice. I got a nice. 256 pounder on the last Red Rooster 16 day. It’s nice having a dedicated kite outfit. Who knows what the previous 10 anglers did to the boat’s kite outfit. No need to worry about that anymore.

Upvote 0

Ksurg

Jul 14, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Name
    KB
    Boat
    Outer Limits
    Other side of the bank. With binoculars watching the bait. It is nice to have fishing range capacity. For giant YFT that are not related to the boat and BFT

Flyline will take the lighter tackle advantage. But kite fish. Love to feel the fishes full power on the heavy gear.

A dedicated BFT Kite and free fall cow rig. I would 50 size

Straight kite outfit with a 300lber as the goal. Give me the 80
    I think that’s exactly right. There’s a difference between a BFT kite/flat fall rig and a lower banks kite rig for Cow YFT.

There’s also a trend towards smaller reels. They have the drag and are lighter. Newer spectra gives them capacity. But they don’t have the torque/ cranking power of a 80 size reel. Still going back and forth on what to get. I suppose I can go with a “light” kite rig now and upgrade when I head to the lower banks.

Upvote 0

Ksurg

Jul 14, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Name
    KB
    Boat
    Outer Limits
    Almost forgot. Somewhere in the forums I saw a comment about the accuracy of line capacity. The ATD 50W is spec’d at only 750 of 130 braid, really? The Penn 50W does 1500? I understand that there’s some variation in thickness and how full the reel is but the accurate line capacity seems really low. Less than the regular 50s from Penn and Mak. Can that be true?

Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
    By the lake
    Name
    Tunanorth
    Boat
    Bass Tracker 16
    Almost forgot. Somewhere in the forums I saw a comment about the accuracy of line capacity. The ATD 50W is spec’d at only 750 of 130 braid, really? The Penn 50W does 1500? I understand that there’s some variation in thickness and how full the reel is but the accurate line capacity seems really low. Less than the regular 50s from Penn and Mak. Can that be true?

There are a couple of typos on the spec sheet for the International models. There is definitely some variation depending on line brand, installation tension, and personal preference of fill-up level.
    That said, figure an average of around 750/130 on the 50VISX, and 950/130 for the 50VISW.

Upvote 0

Ksurg

Jul 14, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Name
    KB
    Boat
    Outer Limits
    There are a couple of typos on the spec sheet for the International models. There is definitely some variation depending on line brand, installation tension, and personal preference of fill-up level.
    That said, figure an average of around 750/130 on the 50VISX, and 950/130 for the 50VISW.
    I figured as much with the typos. But the numbers you gave suggest that the regular Penn 50 VSIX holds as much as the ATD 50 Wide. So if line capacity is the issue there’s no reason to get the ATD. The 50 wides by Penn, Mak, and Avet hold more line.

Upvote 0