More fun than it should be....

Goldenglory18

Oct 1, 2015
Kirkland, WA
Name
Kenny Thompson
Boat Name
Back to Plastic
Just took the new LX Lexa HD and Seeker 7X to the park for a little jig slinging. I’ve heard of guys doing this and never really saw the appeal. With a new rig and no day boats to test gear out before a longer trip, I wanted to see how comfortable this setup is before my trip next week.

Holy cow, casting at the park is way more fun than it really should be. About 30 casts in and I have an immense amount of confidence in this setup. I can’t wait for next weekend.

Daiwa LX-HD400HS-P (cast control set at 4)
65lbs Berkley ProSpec
12’ 40lbs leader
Seeker WTS 7x

I paced off 6 pretty decent casts (accurate and felt long) and had a pretty consistent 65 pace, longest being 71. I just measured my pace and it’s about 4’. So safe to say this rig has about 80yd casting distance with a standard Caivo jig. I’m stoked.

E9B7CCC1-4E37-4D36-A6FF-F091091BFD93.jpeg

Upvote 0

Fearlessfiasco

Loco Leftist...
Jun 5, 2012
La Mesa
Name
Jeff
Boat Name
Sea Pro 170DC
Lexas are bitching! Practicing is definitely fun. In the past I would take my jig stick out to my sailboat on the mooring downtown and practice casting. It definitely doesn't take too.many casts to get a basic feel for it and then you do just feel tons better about using it.

Lexas are the gateway reel to thumb control casting.

Reactions: woodfish330
Upvote 0

woodfish330

I'm to smart to figure out how to edit this.
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat Name
    Fishead
    Yellow "jackets".....lol.

One last thought.... As your casting distance improves.....you need to start working diligently on your accuracy.

Throwing 100 yards does ZERO good.... If your jig lands 100 feet away from that boil / fish. Take a hula hoop.....When you can hit inside of that.... over and over.....move up to a bucket. Same drill. This technique pays dividends.... big time.

Start reasonably close.... backing up and repeating....until you develop your cast accuracy. Casting.might get you a few fish. .... but ACCURATE casting will get you hundreds of fish In your lifetime. Worth all the work....seriously. Good luck brother.....

Upvote 0

Fearlessfiasco

Loco Leftist...
    Jun 5, 2012
    La Mesa
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat Name
    Sea Pro 170DC
    Yellow "jackets".....lol.

One last thought.... As your casting distance improves.....you need to start working diligently on your accuracy.

Throwing 100 yards does ZERO good.... If your jig lands 100 feet away from that boil / fish. Take a hula hoop.....When you can hit inside of that.... over and over.....move up to a bucket. Same drill. This technique pays dividends.... big time.

Start reasonably close.... backing up and repeating....until you develop your cast accuracy. Casting.might get you a few fish. .... but ACCURATE casting will get you hundreds of fish In your lifetime. Worth all the work....seriously. Good luck brother.....

This is a really good idea. I think the next time I'm out and see a balloon I'm going to practice cast at it a few times before I pick it up. See how it goes and try to get better.

Upvote 0

Goldenglory18

Oct 1, 2015
    Kirkland, WA
    Name
    Kenny Thompson
    Boat Name
    Back to Plastic
    Any yellows under that patch of clovers?

no....but man that feeling when ripping the jig across the grass and it gets hung up on a big tuft or in a dirt pile. Oh I miss that feeling. 😂❤️☠️

Great advice, thank you for that.

You can barely see it in the photo, but there is a softball infield to the right and a trash can in center field. That was my target and I did reasonably well on accuracy, all things considered.

The hula hoop idea is great. Especially if/when the distance is really predictable as well. Thanks again for the idea.

Upvote 0

jiggermyster

Goin' out...
    Dec 12, 2003
    So Cal
    Name
    Clay
    Boat Name
    n/a
    no....but man that feeling when ripping the jig across the grass and it gets hung up on a big tuft or in a dirt pile. Oh I miss that feeling.
    hehe.
    Back when I was a kid, the next door neighbor had a 16' outboard on a trailer in their back yard. They also had a mess of cats.
    We'd sit in the boat and "practice fishing", tossing a sinker across the yard and retrieve it.
    Cats would go nuts chasing the sinker across the grass. It was all fun and games until one of the cats got tail wrapped. Darn near got spooled.

Upvote 0

woodfish330

I'm to smart to figure out how to edit this.
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat Name
    Fishead
    Great point! Many a "bow caster" can attest to hitting a fish on the head.... by accident.... at least once.... lol. But you know.... basic learning curve with everything. Some guys "get it" right away.... others have to be dragged... kicking and screaming.

ACCURATE Casting is a true "ART".... and nothing beats on the water experience. Practice makes perfect.

What's the old saying.....

"Luck..... is when preparedness meets opportunity"!!

Be safe out there.

• Love
    Reactions: Tom123 and ZZZZZ
    Upvote 0