McQuade Outdoors

McQuade Outdoors
Nov 24, 2005
San Diego
Name
john mcquade
Boat
Paddle Board
Last day in BOLA (2nd day of the paddle board), after a night and morning of heavy wind, it died down to 0-1mph. Perfect amount for the paddle board. We made our way to Smith island, myself staying on the front side and my friend taking off to the very norther edge. After about an hour, the yellow started blowing up on the surface, hooked into one then it was bait/birds and reef fish galore. Caught countless spotties, grouper, barracuda. One really cool sight was watching a huge yellow come by and take a swipe at a smaller grade spotty i was reeling in! Got a leak or 2 in the board from unknown sources out mid channel so i paddled over towards la gringa and hung out near shore messing around and having some beers to close up the trip.

Setup Okumah 7'11" Guide Select
Lexa 400 70lb braid, 40lb top shot
Caivo Bad Man Bait Fall- Scrambled Egg: Reel as fast as you can!
11' Inflatable Paddle Board

McQuade Outdoors

McQuade Outdoors
Nov 24, 2005
San Diego
Name
john mcquade
Boat
Paddle Board
Nice work! Great video. ❤️BoLA
Thanks! Ive fished it many times, and ive always wanted to bring a paddle board down and give it a go. Maybe next time ill find the big jacks in the bay and get towed around by them.

eat'm_raw

person of interest
  • Mar 7, 2006
    Santa Barbara
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    15 ' Hobie Power Skiff
    So cool! I can barely stay upright on one of those things, can't imagine keeping my balance fighting that yellow. Looks like a ton of fun!

kzaam1

Nov 7, 2018
    San Diego
    Name
    Kzaam
    Boat
    Jasmine
    Its so awesome, but deff not easy to do!

One time the yellowfin were close to La Jolla about 3 years ago. And I got out really early one morning. Just as I paddled out beyond the breakers I could see a massive school of fish blowing up on something about a mile or more from me. I paddled there as hard as I could. And just about as I was halfway to that area, two seiners moved in and completely shut down or wrapped that school up. I stayed in that area for a couple more hours hoping another school or some fish would come up. Never did. That was as close as I ever got to catching a tuna off the SUP. Got my heart racing that morning for sure!!!! And funny, that evening I got back home I saw a report here from someone who said he saw that school blowing up from one of the hotels or condos on the point. Said it was definitely tuna.

McQuade Outdoors

McQuade Outdoors
    Nov 24, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    john mcquade
    Boat
    Paddle Board
    One time the yellowfin were close to La Jolla about 3 years ago. And I got out really early one morning. Just as I paddled out beyond the breakers I could see a massive school of fish blowing up on something about a mile or more from me. I paddled there as hard as I could. And just about as I was halfway to that area, two seiners moved in and completely shut down or wrapped that school up. I stayed in that area for a couple more hours hoping another school or some fish would come up. Never did. That was as close as I ever got to catching a tuna off the SUP. Got my heart racing that morning for sure!!!! And funny, that evening I got back home I saw a report here from someone who said he saw that school blowing up from one of the hotels or condos on the point. Said it was definitely tuna.
    Thats crazy!! Tuna is the next fish i want to get on the SUP. That and a tarpon.

Upvote 0

Joe OO

Oct 6, 2017
    California
    Name
    Joe O'Connor
    Boat
    Kayak
    Excellent video and catch! Looks like you had great conditions, wind is always a concern when paddling.

That's where I launched my kayak to fish the north end of Smith last week. Next time I'll follow your lead and just stay in the channel and save the hour plus paddle time. More time to fish!

Well done!

Reactions: Dogman619
    Upvote 0

McQuade Outdoors

McQuade Outdoors
    Nov 24, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    john mcquade
    Boat
    Paddle Board
    Excellent video and catch! Looks like you had great conditions, wind is always a concern when paddling.

That's where I launched my kayak to fish the north end of Smith last week. Next time I'll follow your lead and just stay in the channel and save the hour plus paddle time. More time to fish!

Well done!
    The north end of smith can get really good by that mini island. Its its dead calm, might be worth the paddle.

Upvote 0

Latest posts