mike mitchell

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 25, 2017
San Diego
Name
Michael Mitchell
Boat
20 Bertram
I finally had a chance to try the fishing here in Monterey. I struggle to find the words for what it was like. Really struggle. So just some facts. Parking is about 1/4 mile walk to the landing, $7 bucks. $100 for the ticket. No live bait. Bring your own squid. Best practices for catching is a dropper loop with 2 teaser hooks. No galley, nothing. The deckhand brings extra lead and teaser hooks. If you needed rental rod you got some vintage Sabre and Penn 3/0. $1 for a fresh burlap bag with a string for you to attach to the stainless rail. Extra rods can go one of the 7 tubes on each side of the house and 10 tubes on top of the bench. Most people don't bring extra rods. As for the water it was " Nautical" . The fish were not extraordinary, about the same size as Channel Islands rock fish. We left the dock about 7 am and were back by noon with limits. The end.

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
So i guess you finally got out of town ? The fishing sounds good.

Upvote 0

mike mitchell

Jul 25, 2017
San Diego
Name
Michael Mitchell
Boat
20 Bertram
Yes, I am now in Monterey area. Sorry, I didn't mean for it to sound good. Rock fishing is for people that eat fish.

• Dislike
Reactions: Spoons
Upvote 0

Wade K in deep

IFish4Sanity&SelectivelyHarvest
  • Sep 24, 2019
    Mariposa, CA
    Name
    Wade Knupp
    Boat
    Kayak & Kickboat
    Monterey's fleet needs updating, last time I was up there anyways. Santa Cruz's fleet was far better, but closer to the bay area so a little more pressure on the fishery.

Upvote 0

chilidip

• Jul 26, 2006
    North OC
    Name
    David
    Boat
    17' Logic CC
    Well the plus side is that you’re in Monterey. Great weather, great food, beautiful scenery. We were there with the family over last Thanksgiving and stayed in Pacific Grove. Yeah, the boats are really old and once you fished the SD fleet, everything else is a step backwards.. in this case probably 3 steps.

Reactions: mike mitchell
    Upvote 0

Ryan Gay

Jul 31, 2015
    Oklahoma
    Name
    Joe Ski
    Boat
    19.5 deep v cuddy "OUT TO LUNCH"
    One. It probably wasn't Chris's Sportfishing. Two. He probably didn't go on the full day boat that goes down to the Rock at Big Sur, where the huge lingcod live. Three. That trip they sabiki huge squid in the bay before they roll around the point.
    Sounds like your attitude killed your chances of having a great trip and time on the water.

Upvote 0

mike mitchell

Jul 25, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    Michael Mitchell
    Boat
    20 Bertram
    One. It probably wasn't Chris's Sportfishing. Two. He probably didn't go on the full day boat that goes down to the Rock at Big Sur, where the huge lingcod live. Three. That trip they sabiki huge squid in the bay before they roll around the point.
    Sounds like your attitude killed your chances of having a great trip and time on the water.
    You are wrong on just about everything.

Upvote 0

johndtuttle

Angler/Client
  • Mar 20, 2008
    Carmel, CA
    Name
    john
    Boat
    not crazy enough yet
    Sorry it sucked Whiny McWhinerson.

"Went fishing in a real Ocean, got seasick and hate eating fresh that day rockfish some of the best eats there is. In reality, I should've moved back to Smell-A and taken my attitude with me where I can get a tasty galley hockey puck and a beer and watch the game in the lounge for $150 cause I actually hate fishing".

FIFY. :D

Dodgers/Pads/Angels Suck. Go Giants lol.

Sorry, local rock fish in Monterey IS fully ghetto. Was pretty good about 50 years ago. You got robbed lol.

Upvote 0

swami 805

Mar 9, 2016
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    sunk it
    Seems like the best boats are in SD and progressively turns to crap the farther north you go.
    Try mooching for salmon if any boats still do that up there. I've done well on the kahuna out of moss landing in the past. Still kinda funky boat and the caliber of a lot of passengers is sub par too, Lots of tourists which is mostly what they cater too.. Just the way it is up there.
    Could get a shot at albacore later in the year

Upvote 0

Dream to fish

Deck Swaby
    Jul 25, 2009
    Hell, CA
    Name
    Phil
    Boat
    20' Beachcraft Cuddy
    I've been twice on trips that we chartered for work. They were both pretty much how you described. The first time we went south and the fishing was pretty good except for the deckhand trying to make me keep every tiny rockfish I caught. It was only 60-80ft so no problem releasing the small ones. I finally told the guy "Who's fishing license is this? Mine or yours?" He left me alone after that. The second trip we went straight out to the mouth of the bay and it sucked. 2-3 fish a person and I actually got skunked because I wasn't interested in fishing with shrimp flys and catching 1lb rockfish.

Reactions: mike mitchell
    Ryan Gay
    Ryan Gay
    Sounds like the same thing the half-day boats do in Southern California. Twice a day.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Spoons

USCG Master
    Oct 21, 2004
    San Diego/SF Bay
    Name
    Capt. Erik
    Boat
    21' Center Console
    Doing some research, ya i just confirmed you are a grumpy MFer lol.

Upvote 0

Spoons

USCG Master
    Oct 21, 2004
    San Diego/SF Bay
    Name
    Capt. Erik
    Boat
    21' Center Console
    Doing some research, ya i just confirmed you are a grumpy MFer lol.
    Sell your boat so you dont have anymore hillside problems and take up golf since you dont eat seafood anyway. problem solved. Pebble beach should be your backyard lol

Upvote 0

mike mitchell

Jul 25, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    Michael Mitchell
    Boat
    20 Bertram
    Sell your boat so you dont have anymore hillside problems and take up golf since you dont eat seafood anyway. problem solved. Pebble beach should be your backyard lol
    Knees cant handle golf anymore, Pebble Beach is a great track if you can afford it. Maybe I will take up ping pong.

Upvote 0

FishinMcNuggets

I've edited enough I should section this post.
  • Oct 25, 2010
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Avon 2.85 "C-¢"
    Sounds like an OK trip. I think he just doesn't want to put too much cream on his tacos so we don't flock up there, take all the fish, crowd the boats, and drive up the prices.

Rockfish are delicious. Channel Islands/Monterey RF beat SMB RF 6 days of the week.

Fishing with the basics is the essence of the sport. The crowd, well, I'm sure they're more down to earth than "that guy" (or 5 of 'em) you find on a Sandy Eggo boat. You just have to find the high-line boat outta the pack.

Maybe bring a watermelon to share on your next trip? And a hip flask? Might make for more friendly & entertaining compatriots on the trip out & back.

Upvote 0