Montauk Sportfishing Report 8/3/15

Discussion in 'East Coast Fishing Reports Forum' started by CaptGeneKelly, Aug 3, 2015.

1. CaptGeneKelly

CaptGeneKelly Newbie

Name:
    Capt Gene Kelly
    Boat:
    PIPER
    Summertime and the living is easy with great fishing and great weather, except maybe too hot. Then my daughter asked if I preferred snow. So I guess there are no complaints.

Offshore the shark fishing, particularly for makos is hot and the key is to save fuel – don’t go too far. Most of the makos are the typical summer fish from 50 – 125 pounds, but there are some big ones around as well like the 250 pound fish on the HURRY UP or the 380 pounder on the ELIZABETH II as shown below.

[​IMG]

Not much on the tuna scene though. It’s getting started out on the Edge, but slowly. There are a lot of mahi around though including a 50 something pounder caught on a Star Island boat. If you like offshore trolling but don’t want to go all the way, you could probably head out 30 miles or so and look around if you are willing to settle for mahi.

Inshore the stripers are holding up nicely especially if you consider the size. The boats haven’t always been catching a limit, but when all the fish are over thirty pounds that’s acceptable. The eels are working as are the big tubes that caught these two forty pound fish on the MONTAUK.

[​IMG]

Bottom fishing is good for whatever you want to catch. Porgies are close in and the seabass and fluke boats are mostly fishing further offshore like Frisbies and Cartwright. I took my wife and her niece, who is visiting from Guatemala out for a while Sunday and in less than two hours fishing brought back a limit of these seabass.

[​IMG]

For more info about fishing in Montauk, check out www.montauksportfishing.com