Montauk Sportfishing report 8/19/13

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic Reports and Discussion' started by CaptGeneKelly, Aug 19, 2013.

1. CaptGeneKelly

CaptGeneKelly Newbie

Name:
    Capt Gene Kelly
    Boat:
    PIPER
    8/19/13<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    We had a nice fall week’s weather and the bluesharks must have noticed it too. The big fall bluesharks are here in force. I had the biggest one I ever saw in my slick early in the week. It had to be 15-16’ long. Luckily I saw it in time and was able to get the bait away from him. Makos are on the scarce side though.<o:p></o:p>
    Out on the Edge, the bigeyes are still cooperating, but there doesn’t seem to be any one hot spot, but there are more of them than there are yellowfins. Meanwhile back in on the 500 line the hot longfin bite has petered out and now you are lucky to catch one. And there is a lack of mahi too, so you can’t readily bail out by pot hopping.<o:p></o:p>
    I haven’t paid much attention to the bottom fishing the last couple of weeks, but on my way home from offshore I noticed that all the fluke boats were fishing at Cartwright, which is where the last of the fluke catching took place last year. I’m just sayin.<o:p></o:p>
    Striped bass fishing could be better, and one of the reasons that it is tough is all the bluefish around, giant ones. One captain will do well, while another equally accomplished skipper will struggle. <o:p></o:p>
    And, if you would like to get the reports by e-mail, drop me a line at [email protected]
    For more info about fishing in Montauk, go to www.montauksportfishing.com/combo.html<o:p></o:p>