Montauk Sportfishing Report 7/6/15

Discussion in 'East Coast Fishing Reports Forum' started by CaptGeneKelly, Jul 5, 2015.

1. CaptGeneKelly

CaptGeneKelly Newbie

Name:
    Capt Gene Kelly
    Boat:
    PIPER
    Mid-week the fishing went off. Sitting at the dock listening to the chatter on the VHF and when I heard a couple of guys talking about the forty pounders they just landed I couldn’t tell if they were talking about stripers or tuna.

The bluefins were that close, right around the CIA. You are allowed 2 fish between 27” – 47” and one over 47”. Most of the fish are just short of that 47” mark. It’s not a guarantee, as I found out on Friday when I tried it for a couple of hours (I told my wife we’d be home by ten am.) But if you put in enough time, you were likely to catch your two fish, and maybe release a bunch more. If you got on them, it was that good. By the weekend things tapered off, but some were still being taken. Here’s a couple that were caught on the ELIZABETH II.

[​IMG]

And if you are interested in makos, there are plenty of them around, occasionally biting a tail or a squid bar. Boats concentrating on sharks were catching a mako or two along with some bluesharks, but not as many blues as were being caught as had been.

The stripers lit up the recorders at the same time with angers able to catch them anyway they liked; trolling, eels, diamond jigs all worked. And the fish are all good sized from 30-40 lbs, which doesn’t help the commercial guys because they are too big. Based on the boats, you would think that the Elbow is the only place there are fish, but some captains who didn’t want to put up with trying to fight their way through the mob were able to find their limit elsewhere, usually in an hour or so of fishing. Here’s a couple taken by Tom Schulmann’s kids on the HALFBACK.

[​IMG]

The limit on stripers for the past couple of years has been one 28” fish and one over 38”, with charter boats being allowed 2 fish over 28”. Now that everybody is limited to one fish over 28”, the captain and mate are able to each keep a fish of their own, so that a party with six anglers can bring 8 stripers to the dock. But there is a “Catch22”. Because it is a possession regulation, those 6 clients can only take home 6 bass (wink, wink). The crew can eat their fish or give them to someone who doesn’t have a fish, but they can’t sell them. I have commercial tags, so I’m thinking of touring the docks each day and see if I can pick up some fish which I can then tag and sell.

The bottom fishing is holding up nicely, especially for the porgies and seabass, which isn’t open until the 15th. The south side is still pretty dead, but it will perk up when the seabass opens up.

The NOVEMBER RAIN finally finished with the paperwork with the federales and now have their new over six boat at Westlake.

For more info about fishing in Montauk, check out www.montauksportfishing.com

2. CaptGeneKelly

CaptGeneKelly Newbie

Name:
    Capt Gene Kelly
    Boat:
    PIPER
    I screwed up. The limit for recreationals is only one 27" Bluefin, not two.

3. Northeastfshman

Northeastfshman Moderator

Name:
    Brett Weinberg
    Boat:
    Parker 2120SCDV

As Pottsie would say. EHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH