MONTAUK SPORTFISHING Report 10/19/15

Discussion in 'East Coast Fishing Reports Forum' started by CaptGeneKelly, Oct 19, 2015.

1. CaptGeneKelly

CaptGeneKelly Newbie

Name:
    Capt Gene Kelly
    Boat:
    PIPER
    And the days dwindle down to a precious few.

For the past week virtually all the bass catching was being done over at Southwest Ledge. By the weekend that all changed. Now it seems that the Ledge has caught up with the Point, with the catches down to a couple of small, even short fish. It looks like we have reached the end. As far back as I can remember, the October full moon was the part of the season that the hardest core striped bass anglers looked forward to. But that’s over; at least until the population builds itself up again.

“Thank God for bluefish” is something we used to hear back in the eighties. At least they’re still around to bend the rods for the few striped bass charters still on the books.

The seabass fishing is still hot and will likely only get better as the fish move into deeper water, and their season in federal waters reopens this week. Scup are still biting and more cod seem to be moving into shallower water so it looks like the bottom fishing will be hot for the rest of the year. Now if only more anglers wanted to do it.

Friday night there was a fire at Gasman’s restaurant. The part of the building closest to the parking lot is what was burned and it looks like it will be easily repaired. That part of the building is what I think was a kind of catering hall and not heavily used. The East Hampton Star reported that it seemed the fire started outside the building which would mean that it was intentionally set.

[​IMG]

Johnny’s Tackle Shop, which has been in Montauk since surfcasting was invented, is in the final stages of being sold. If anybody has a picture on the wall there, get in touch with Johnny to get it back.

If you are interested in surfcasting, you have to check out a documentary called Montauk Rocks. They sent me a DVD of it and it’s great. I don’t know how you can get a copy, but google it and you can see a trailer on U Tube.

This will be the last regular report for this season, although I will probably pop up occasionally when there is something to talk about regarding fishing here in Montauk. But I’ll be back regularly next season. For more info about fishing in Montauk, check out montauksportfishing.com

[​IMG]

Now is the time to start thinking about winter fishing. Guatemala has the world’s best sailfishing. There are a number of American style fishing lodges there, or you can go the less expensive route and stay in a local four star hotel on the ocean. All the boats fish out of the same area, so you’ll have great fishing wherever you stay.

Panama has great fishing for big black marlin and yellowfin tuna, but it also has spectacular reef fishing for snapper, roosterfish and grouper. But availability is often the problem, so start planning now.

Costa Rica is always dependable with great billfishing on the Pacific coast and tarpon on the Caribbean. It’s the least expensive place to fish, with accommodations in local hotels and fishing on local charterboats. Most go to Costa Rica for the billfish, but you can have spectacular reef fishing there as well if you know who to fish with and I do.

Belize is a light tackle paradise, kind of like the Florida Keys without the cars, shopping malls and WIND.

Check out www.tropicalfishing.com or give me a call at 631 668 2019, and I’ll set you up with the fishing adventure of a lifetime. The worst thing that can happen is we’ll spend a little time b-sing about fishing.